You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

9 minutes ago, The-Sir said:

Can you guys not start a covid conspiracy debate/argument thread and keep all this super shitty boring as fuck back and forth on there so I know never to subject myself to it?

Everyone has their own views, right or wrong, and noone is going to convince the other party to change their views, rightly or wrongly, so we're stuck in this fucking endless loop of name calling, which is doing my swede in and ain't a great look for the GF. 

I don't think it will achieve anything, but I'm happy to oblige and not post in this thread if you think it will make one iota of difference.  

1 hour ago, Pureblood said:

I don't think it will achieve anything, but I'm happy to oblige and not post in this thread if you think it will make one iota of difference.  

It should be ok for a short while, until some of them join us in the other thread once they realise that they can't resist policing other people's views.

This variant is starting to look more and more promising. Less hospitalisation, less ICU, less ventilators and less death. Obviously it would be better if we could put 'no' where 'less' is, but this is a huge reduction in the collateral damage of getting to herd immunity. 

Thinking of a post-pandemic world is so exciting.

34 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

This variant is starting to look more and more promising. Less hospitalisation, less ICU, less ventilators and less death. Obviously it would be better if we could put 'no' where 'less' is, but this is a huge reduction in the collateral damage of getting to herd immunity. 

Aye, don't want to get too ahead of ourselves just yet until we know for sure but it is a welcome change to read some of the recent articles which seem to suggest we have something to be quite hopeful about ;

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/omicron-variant-may-have-picked-up-piece-common-cold-virus-2021-12-03/

https://www.ft.com/content/c0e95b24-2160-40be-9c91-efc5381fca26

https://twitter.com/Metadoc/status/1467505204035784706?t=rnVSCTGzebrOy3XTaywTog&s=19

• Upvote 2

The US military has been actively tracking any cases of myocarditis in its ranks.

A June study on the U.S. military had similar findings: 23 service members experienced myocarditis symptoms within days of their Covid-19 vaccine of more than 2 million vaccinated service members — all 23 were male.

The AHA findings on myocarditis:

https://scitechdaily.com/most-young-people-recover-quickly-from-myocarditis-side-effect-of-covid-19-vaccine/

Most young people under the age of 21 who developed suspected COVID-19 vaccine-related heart muscle inflammation known as myocarditis had mild symptoms that improved quickly, according to new research published today (December 6, 2021) in the American Heart Association’s flagship journal Circulation.

Using data from 26 pediatric medical centers across the United States and Canada, researchers reviewed the medical records of patients younger than 21 who showed symptoms, lab results, or imaging findings indicating myocarditis within one month of receiving a COVID-19 vaccination.

Of the 139 teens and young adults, ranging from 12 to 20 years of age, researchers identified and evaluated:

• Most patients were white (66.2%), nine out of 10 (90.6%) were male and median age was 15.8 years.
  • Nearly every case (97.8%) followed an mRNA vaccine, and 91.4% occurred after the second vaccine dose.
  • Onset of symptoms occurred at a median of 2 days following vaccine administration.
  • Chest pain was the most common symptom (99,3%); fever and shortness of breath each occurred in 30.9% and 27.3% of patients, respectively.
  • About one in five patients (18.7%) was admitted to intensive care, but there were no deaths. Most patients were hospitalized for two or three days.
  • More than three-fourths (77.3%) of patients who received a cardiac MRI showed evidence of inflammation of or injury to the heart muscle.
  • Nearly 18.7% had at least mildly decreased left ventricular function (squeeze of the heart) at presentation, but heart function had returned to normal in all who returned for follow-up.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Spy Bee said:

is there some new data? aside from people inside africa telling us we're all being drama queens because they don't want to be on the red list, i have seen nearly nothing and it's mostly anecdotal so far. in fact more and more i am hearing we need this variant to spread more in europe to be able to deliver us some worthwhile stats. it just feels like a holding pattern to me at the moment. 

51 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

is there some new data? aside from people inside africa telling us we're all being drama queens because they don't want to be on the red list, i have seen nearly nothing and it's mostly anecdotal so far. in fact more and more i am hearing we need this variant to spread more in europe to be able to deliver us some worthwhile stats. it just feels like a holding pattern to me at the moment. 

Well there are as yet no Omicron deaths, despite the strain being identified on November 24th, with a sample from November 8th. 

There's also this: 

I think suggesting the head of a private health care company in South Africa has some kind of agenda for opening the borders is a bit mad, when the flip side is this:

Of course, it makes sense to be cautious, but it's certainly looking positive if you read beyond the fear merchants.

28 minutes ago, Spy Bee said:

Well there are as yet no Omicron deaths, despite the strain being identified on November 24th, with a sample from November 8th. 

There's also this: 

I think suggesting the head of a private health care company in South Africa has some kind of agenda for opening the borders is a bit mad, when the flip side is this:

Of course, it makes sense to be cautious, but it's certainly looking positive if you read beyond the fear merchants.

let's hope so. as i said last week, if we get to a point where this doesn't kill and hospitalise people, it's a result and we should want it to become the dominant strain. i think for now though i will hold back any celebrations that the end might be in sight with all this. 

Ok so with that confirmation we can review McCullough on the topic of myocarditis.

It is a 1 minute video that has been watched 645 times - well 646 now. He states that the cases he is seeing now from young folks who have been vaccinated are not mild. Interestingly he does specifically use the word mild. There is no mention whatsoever on where or how many cases he is referencing. We can hope he is monitoring these cases as closely as the US Military and it would certainly be of benefit to everyone if he could give some idea as to numbers and outcome. What would also have been helpful in this discussion would have been to point out that increased chance of myocarditis in similar percentages are seen in other vaccinations, notably smallpox and influenza.

I did also listen to his bit at the 18th World Seminar on Covid 19 and Vaccination - pretty mundane with the exception of a few additional treatments that have caused him trouble.

Background info on McCullough learned.

Graduate of Baylor University

Many years at a number of top medical facilities.

One of the top donors to Baylor facilities, has donated millions - has a wing named after him.

I asked @Pureblood if he was the hydroxychloroquine guy - he is.

He has a number of studies on early treatment of Covid with hydroxychloroquine in spring of 2020 publishing a few as the Editor in Chief of Review of Cardio Vascular Medicine. Also published one entitled

"Unfavorable hydroxychloroquine COVID-19 research associated with authors having a history of political party donations."

https://rcm.imrpress.com/EN/10.31083/j.rcm.2021.01.262

Seems a strange one for a scientist but whatevz.

One of the studies through Baylor is shutdown and it seems his work there dried up.

The Trump White House uses his study to tout the treatment, eventually going so far as having him testify before the Senate at the bequest of the very open minded Sen Ron Johnson, on it. That proved to be a death nail in the scientific discussion of hydroxychloroquine.

As for being shutdown by the mainstream media it couldn't be farther from the truth - he becomes ever present on Fox, specifically their "opinion" shows, Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham.

Into the summer and he is at the head of the ivermectin charge. The study referenced above at Baylor was for use as an anti malarial. At some point he begins to use this information re Covid and apparently the school does not like it.

He catches Covid in the fall and treats himself with a combination of hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin and zinc.

By this time his alma mater (and recipient of millions in donations) begins work to remove him from the University. 

A non disclosure comes in Feb 2021. 

Far from being censored in the mainstream media his appearances with Carlson and Ingraham continue through the spring. At some point Baylor contacts him about ceasing to claim any connection with the school, eventually suing him for breach.

His most recent work has been public speaking - a summary of one last month is here:

During his presentation, McCullough did not shy away from politics and bemoaned what he said has been a loss of freedoms since the pandemic began.

"This is more than a medical topic, now our freedom, our jobs, our school, somehow everything got linked to COVID-19," he said. "COVID-19 went from being a medical problem to now being an issue of somehow everything you do is related to taking a vaccine."

Rep. Wendi Stearman, R-Collinsville, saw the event as an opportunity for a call to action. She urged those attending to share McCullough's information with others because it will take all of them to "fight the tyranny and lies" spread across the state. She urged everyone to pressure their local representatives and the governor to prevent vaccine mandates.

While McCullough said that doctors were probably afraid to show up to the event, one of Oklahoma's top infectious disease physicians, Dr. Anuj Malik, director of infection prevention and control at Ascension St. John, said that the doctors he spoke to were not afraid to attend. They were just not interested in sitting through what would be seen as a “politically-motivated, ideological speech by a modern-day quack.” 

In summary, an increased rick of myocarditis is indeed a valid concern. My opinion is that there are any number of qualified doctors studying it carefully.

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Ok so with that confirmation we can review McCullough on the topic of myocarditis.

It is a 1 minute video that has been watched 645 times - well 646 now. He states that the cases he is seeing now from young folks who have been vaccinated are not mild. Interestingly he does specifically use the word mild. There is no mention whatsoever on where or how many cases he is referencing. We can hope he is monitoring these cases as closely as the US Military and it would certainly be of benefit to everyone if he could give some idea as to numbers and outcome. What would also have been helpful in this discussion would have been to point out that increased chance of myocarditis in similar percentages are seen in other vaccinations, notably smallpox and influenza.

I did also listen to his bit at the 18th World Seminar on Covid 19 and Vaccination - pretty mundane with the exception of a few additional treatments that have caused him trouble.

Background info on McCullough learned.

Graduate of Baylor University

Many years at a number of top medical facilities.

One of the top donors to Baylor facilities, has donated millions - has a wing named after him.

I asked @Pureblood if he was the hydroxychloroquine guy - he is.

He has a number of studies on early treatment of Covid with hydroxychloroquine in spring of 2020 publishing a few as the Editor in Chief of Review of Cardio Vascular Medicine. Also published one entitled

"Unfavorable hydroxychloroquine COVID-19 research associated with authors having a history of political party donations."

https://rcm.imrpress.com/EN/10.31083/j.rcm.2021.01.262

Seems a strange one for a scientist but whatevz.

One of the studies through Baylor is shutdown and it seems his work there dried up.

The Trump White House uses his study to tout the treatment, eventually going so far as having him testify before the Senate at the bequest of the very open minded Sen Ron Johnson, on it. That proved to be a death nail in the scientific discussion of hydroxychloroquine.

As for being shutdown by the mainstream media it couldn't be farther from the truth - he becomes ever present on Fox, specifically their "opinion" shows, Tucker Carlson and Laura Ingraham.

Into the summer and he is at the head of the ivermectin charge. The study referenced above at Baylor was for use as an anti malarial. At some point he begins to use this information re Covid and apparently the school does not like it.

He catches Covid in the fall and treats himself with a combination of hydroxychloroquine, ivermectin and zinc.

By this time his alma mater (and recipient of millions in donations) begins work to remove him from the University. 

A non disclosure comes in Feb 2021. 

Far from being censored in the mainstream media his appearances with Carlson and Ingraham continue through the spring. At some point Baylor contacts him about ceasing to claim any connection with the school, eventually suing him for breach.

His most recent work has been public speaking - a summary of one last month is here:

During his presentation, McCullough did not shy away from politics and bemoaned what he said has been a loss of freedoms since the pandemic began.

"This is more than a medical topic, now our freedom, our jobs, our school, somehow everything got linked to COVID-19," he said. "COVID-19 went from being a medical problem to now being an issue of somehow everything you do is related to taking a vaccine."

Rep. Wendi Stearman, R-Collinsville, saw the event as an opportunity for a call to action. She urged those attending to share McCullough's information with others because it will take all of them to "fight the tyranny and lies" spread across the state. She urged everyone to pressure their local representatives and the governor to prevent vaccine mandates.

While McCullough said that doctors were probably afraid to show up to the event, one of Oklahoma's top infectious disease physicians, Dr. Anuj Malik, director of infection prevention and control at Ascension St. John, said that the doctors he spoke to were not afraid to attend. They were just not interested in sitting through what would be seen as a “politically-motivated, ideological speech by a modern-day quack.” 

In summary, an increased rick of myocarditis is indeed a valid concern. My opinion is that there are any number of qualified doctors studying it carefully.

You left out his Echo & the Bunnymen years.