You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

22 minutes ago, Boss said:

It is true. Mandatory COVID vaccines for all doctors, nurses, dentists and care workers by April.

"Sajid Javid confirmed that Health Service workers in England will have to be fully jabbed by April or face being sacked".

https://www.nursingtimes.net/news/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccination-to-become-mandatory-for-all-nurses-in-england-09-11-2021/

Every nurse or doctor that doesn't comply will have the choice of quitting or being fired.

Some have been redeployed. I don't think any have been fired.

8 minutes ago, Boss said:

I know they have mandatory vaccines. I have multiple family members that work for the NHS. Have working nurses, doctors, dentists and care workers been sacked - in their thousands - for non-compliance with a rule before? That's the point.

And they haven't now.

That's the point.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There is some irony that many of the health and care staff for whom people were clapping last year are going to be sacked this year. Amazing how quickly one can lose hero status these days.

I think "hero status" depends on your actions. If you're saving vulnerable people's lives, you're a hero; if you choose to endanger them, you're not.

It's not difficult to get your head around. If you've got vulnerable people in hospital or in care, you need the people who come face to face with them to take every reasonable precaution to protect their health.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There is some irony that many of the health and care staff for whom people were clapping last year are going to be sacked this year. Amazing how quickly one can lose hero status these days.

How many are there? Is it a genuine issue in the UK? I'm asking because it seems to me with over 80 percent of over 12s fully vaccinated, that problem appears largely academic.

22 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I’m sure in real world Damian is sound. I have no doubt and never doubted that. 

However, TLW Stig comes defo comes across all those things I’ve said, to a number of posters and on a number occasions. It’s clear for all to read that in your 30,000 odd posts. I do find you funny at times as well. So it’s not all bad. 

I don’t get offended by what you say to me, I can handle it. Just don’t come

crying when it’s done back in return just because you don’t like it.

I don’t see the point of putting anyone ignore. For example as with your posting record, some cunt will quote you and it defeats the object. If some faceless name on a forum/social media site winds you up that much, then you need to take a look at how much time and energy you are investing into that platform. 

I get wound up by lies and hypocrisy, funnily the only people I argue with are the ones I pull up on one, the other or both. I've met and or am mates with a good load off here, they will all agree I'm an even bigger cunt in real life. But I'm certain all will agree I say just as much in real life and don't hide shit behind a keyboard. It's you here who is getting personal because I haven't agreed with you. Personally, I reckon you come across lately as a bad bellend and not someone I'd want to go for a pint with (which is a massive shame because we live local and a while back I'd have loved to have had a pint with you) 

I argue with SD on a daily basis on here. In real life I bet he's sound as fuck** and we'd laugh about it. 

Oh and it's Damien not Damian. You fucking test match 

20 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Your second best post ever 

9 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Stig will start a "Favourite Variant" tournament (and rig it so Rocky IV wins).

Wait till you see what I've got lined up 

*well reminded, I need to put the last two groups up. I'm surprised Tony hasn't kicked off at me about it 

** I reserve the right to retract that if we ever meet and he decides to fill me in. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They reduce the risk of dying though. 

Yes, I think they probably do for people of a certain age and risk profile (65+, diabetes, obese etc.)

For the rest of us, the benefit is not clear because the risks aren't quantified properly. 

But that's all beside the point - I'm talking specifically about transmission because that's what a lot of policies are being based on.

3 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Yes, I think they probably do for people of a certain age and risk profile (65+, diabetes, obese etc.)

For the rest of us, the benefit is not clear because the risks aren't quantified properly. 

But that's all beside the point - I'm talking specifically about transmission because that's what a lot of policies are being based on.

Vaccines don't stop transmission mate. 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

According to the University of Oxford they reduce it substantially - for Pfizer they found by 65%. So I guess that would mean they prevent it by 65% although no one uses that word in this context. That is based on a data set of over 150,000 folks.

“It’s the highest quality study we have so far on the question of infectiousness of vaccinated people infected with delta,” said Dr. Aaron Richterman, an infectious disease physician at the University of Pennsylvania, who was not involved in the research.

Susan Butler-Wu, a clinical microbiologist at the University of Southern California, called the study “well performed,” especially because it reflects real-world transmission since it tracked spread among close contacts.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

So why are the rules different around transmission for the people who are unvaccinated, but tested negative and been a contact to those that are also negative and have been a contact but vaccinated when the chance of transmission is the same. 

That’s more of a general question than to you directly. 

I don't get the vitriol toward Skids on here tbh. Pretty much everyone agrees that no one should be forced to get the shots. All he is saying is he doesn't want to do it. He is not on here daily posting links to cranks and social media hacks to try to make a "scientific" argument.

If anyone doesn't want to get it and understands and accepts the potential consequences of that decision, that is their business, but trying to justify that decision by "supporting" it with misinformation and plain malarkey unfortunately makes it everyone elses business.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Just when I throw you a bone you do this?

I should have waited. 

I (currently) can’t get my head around how the transmission chance isn’t the same when vaccinated people can still share it. Does it give the virus a twatting, reducing its strength before it goes off to another vessel? 

2 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

I should have waited. 

I (currently) can’t get my head around how the transmission chance isn’t the same when vaccinated people can still share it. Does it give the virus a twatting, reducing its strength before it goes off to another vessel

That is what doctors are saying.