You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 hours ago, Boss said:

Does anyone find it weird that the AstraZeneca vaccine has just been totally phased out in the new booster jabs?

It's basically a real time mix and match dosage experiment on millions of people.

The same as shortening the booster gap from six to three months, another real time dosage experiment.

2 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Wife’s got covid. Caught it a funeral we were both at last week. Symptoms have been very flu like. But nothing that doesn’t stop her making a cup of tea.

She and 5 others appear to have caught it off her Mum, who is double vaxxed. 

Now, the question I have here is this, why the fuck do I have to self isolate, when I have tested negative three times. I’ve had no symptoms, nothing, fortunately sound as a pound. 

Yet her Ma who dished it out could still walk around the shops sharing the virus freely because she’s double jabbed. 

Hope she stays well enough to make brews mate. You're lucky not to have caught it as well though. 

The rules are a joke, mainly because nobody really knows what they are 

• Upvote 1

We're working from home again until after Christmas after two people got it, one who sits about three feet from me (he shouldn't have come in the other day to be honest, he sat there all day with a parka on saying he'd felt ill for a week, even though he has the option to work from home like the rest of us). I got a PCR yesterday and I haven't caught it. Was just getting into the swing of going into an office again, bet this blows the christmas office capers out the water too (we were going to have a buffet, my idea of heaven). Gutted. 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yeah, I don’t think you have to isolate either. Provided you test negative on PCR every few days and daily on LFT, you should lock your wife away and get on with stuff. Hope she doesn’t get any worse, Skids. 

Cheers lid. She’s day 7 into 10. We found out that’s it’s Covid a day after getting told about others at the funeral getting it on day 5 so go the results on Day 6.  

The symptoms aren’t even the tell tale sign Covid symptoms. Bunged up sinuses mainly. Has the fatigue like Covid gives, but she said that wouldn’t have made her think it was the Rona as she’s likened her symptoms to the flu. All sound other than that. 

Our house has nowhere for me to lock her away, I’m regretting buying this house now. Went for the outside space instead. 

I’m not jabbed, I test everyday with LFT masks, sanitise etc, have had a negative PCR result but I’m still required to isolate because I’ve been in contact with the wife and 5 others at the same funeral. 

Yet, someone who has been a contact and is jabbed can crack on as normal with a negative test, what’s the difference between me and someone’s who’s double jabbed? (no jokes at the back please) 

On 30/11/2021 at 10:12, Barrington Womble said:

I was on merseyrail this morning, no more than about 20% observance of mask wearing. On my London train, it was much higher, bit still not even 2/3 I would say. It feels people just don't give a shit. 

This basically sums up my irritation. I went to a gig last week at The Olympia, where before the date it was advertised that you had to provide proof via a COVID pass on the NHS app (or similar) before you could enter the building. Nobody asked for anything when we got there, and for the next two hours we then stood surrounded by hundreds of people all without masks and all in close proximity. Me and the Mrs were amongst a handful of people who wore them throughout. A lot of people clearly cannot be bothered at all. 

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't agree that passports, mandates and vaccines are the only answer. I think that if there'd have been a better look at possible early treatments instead of relying so much on waiting for big pharma vaccines this entire pandemic could've been dealt with a lot better.

And yes I know, now that we're in the new normal that idea confines me to the loony bin along with thinking that people should be free to decide what's injected into their bodies instead of governments.

When exploring early treatments for a virus and freedom to decide what's injected into your body are such controversial subjects that invite so much ridicule it might be fair to assume that there's either a large amount of propaganda and censorship going around, democracy has all but left us, or both.

But the "governments" always "decided" what is injected in your bodies, doctors prescribe medications, they don't tell you the diagnosis and send you to do your own research and design your own therapy. And it is a pandemic, therefore a major crisis, which requires some kind of general, unified response. The health care authorities went with vaccines because it works with the seasonal flu and this is a similar epidemic.

They waited for the big pharma because they have the capabilities of funding and organizing trials in a relatively short time (and none of the most popular vaccines were created by big pharma in a strict sense) with a lot of government support and additional funding.

There are a number of vaccine projects by big pharma and publicly funded entities that were abandoned because trials didn't show results, more money was thrown at failures than spent on the programmes that won. Plus there is a number of vaccines in use all over the world which were not made by western big pharma, Russia, China, Cuba etc. So it makes sense to believe that data offered by the winners was rigorously checked, or at least rigorously enough in the context of the race against time (they say that both in terms of effectiveness and safety there has never before been such comprehensive oversight, that vaccines of decades ago people mention were properly tested may not have been approved today at all).

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Boss said:

Does anyone find it weird that the AstraZeneca vaccine has just been totally phased out in the new booster jabs?

Definitely seems to be an agenda to push the mRNA vaccines in particular, and explains why there was so much negativity towards the AZ vaccine earlier in the year. 

12 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Utter cockwash.

You're making this claim to people who have each spent, cumulatively, hundreds of hours wearing a face mask without "breathing that much harder".

How is it possible for you to strap half a sack over your face and not have it impair your breathing?

I've seen photos of some of you and half of you look like Buster Bloodvessel so it is inconceivable to me that you can behave as if it's not there.

I'm sitting here with it on with my face getting hot and scratchy and wet and my breathing getting faster. What fucking superpower do you all have that stops this from happening to you?

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I'm sitting here with it on with my face getting hot and scratchy and wet and my breathing getting faster. What fucking superpower do you all have that stops this from happening to you?

Perhaps he doesn't wank with his mask on?

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

How is it possible for you to strap half a sack over your face and not have it impair your breathing?

I've seen photos of some of you and half of you look like Buster Bloodvessel so it is inconceivable to me that you can behave as if it's not there.

The ability to breath properly and not be a fanny. 

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, Total Longo said:

This basically sums up my irritation. I went to a gig last week at The Olympia, where before the date it was advertised that you had to provide proof via a COVID pass on the NHS app (or similar) before you could enter the building. Nobody asked for anything when we got there, and for the next two hours we then stood surrounded by hundreds of people all without masks and all in close proximity. Me and the Mrs were amongst a handful of people who wore them throughout. A lot of people clearly cannot be bothered at all. 

A lot of cunts.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

The ability to breath properly and not be a fanny. 

At times like this, when people moan at the most minor of ‘hardships’ I’m reminded of the woman in Africa many years ago who was forced to take refuge up a tree during huge floods.  Whilst up the tree she gave birth.  

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/27/miracle-baby-born-tree-mozambique-floods-turns-17

• Upvote 1

Just been for my first dog walk since Covid. Apparently we walked around 1.5 miles. My lungs feel like I walked up Kilimanjaro and back. 

I’ve put on weight and mostly stopped swimming since the beginning of the pandemic. As well as the aesthetic catastrophe I now am, I’ve not prepared well for being ill with this thing. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Get a grip. What is your mask made of? Fibreglass? 

51 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Why is your face getting wet if you don't expel moisture when you breathe and your mask doesn't stop your breath anyway?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

At times like this, when people moan at the most minor of ‘hardships’ I’m reminded of the woman in Africa many years ago who was forced to take refuge up a tree during huge floods.  Whilst up the tree she gave birth.  

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2017/feb/27/miracle-baby-born-tree-mozambique-floods-turns-17

Well my family tree has a murderer in it.

Arf- https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/nov/30/anti-mask-blitz-war-public-good

Let’s not pretend the anti-mask babies would have lasted a minute in the blitz
Marina Hyde
It’s funny that so many of those who bang on about the ‘war effort’ seem unable to do something minor for the public good
‘For all their big talk, you can’t help thinking those unable to bring themselves to wear a mask wouldn’t make the first sacrifice for their fellow humans, let alone the ultimate one.’ Photograph: Martin Pope/SOPA
While the scientists work out how bad the Omicron variant is or isn’t, the government has reimposed mask-wearing in shops and on public transport for at least the next three weeks. Consequently, a number of prams have been swiftly emptied of all toys. Across the airwaves – and up and down the train carriages and the supermarket aisles – you can find multiple refuseniks who suffer from the pandemic version of that old sexual problem: being “too big for condoms”.

To those who have reacted to the precautionary mask-wearing mandate with histrionics and aggression, I think we have to say, very clearly: DO BUCK UP. This really isn’t the attitude that won us the war.

As for mentioning the war, forgive me. Around 70,000 Britons died in second world war bombing raids, most of them in the blitz, while 145,000 have thus far perished from Covid. Yet somehow there does seem to be a large intersection between the Venn diagram sets “People who bang on endlessly about WW2” and “People who cannot cope with having to take a relatively minor public health measure for the greater good”.

Of course, in London, both positions have links with the tube. In December 1940, you’d have been snatching a couple of hours’ troubled sleep on the underground platform while Hitler blew up your house. In December 2021, you’d be on your way to Oxford Street on the Central line to sample the pre-Christmas enticements of JD Sports. Yet still, somehow, managing to see a few minutes of mask-wearing in a non-ventilated space as an outrageous imposition on your personage, with which you – a stone-cold hero – simply shouldn’t be involved.

But why? It’s really not that bad, is it, to have to wear a mask in limited settings, if it might help other people, even a bit? For all their big talk, you can’t help thinking those unable to bring themselves to do it wouldn’t make the first sacrifice for their fellow humans, let alone the ultimate one.

As they shout – or type in capitals – the words “THE BRITISH PEOPLE HAVE HAD ENOUGH”, it’s intriguing to remember that chaps like this really fancy their chances at having been able to cope with the blitz. Picture this person, this person who wets their pants and goes full online Braveheart over being asked to wear a mask between Liverpool Street and Holborn. Assuming they didn’t think air raid sirens were part of some “great reset” and ignored them (fatally), try to imagine this person trudging out of the tube station after the air raid. Try to imagine them discovering they didn’t have a street any more, having to remake their lives and those of their family in an anguished instant, by migrating somewhere else in the country in the clothes they stood in. Or try to imagine them having been taken in by friends or relatives, and turning straight back up to the bomb site with a broom to assist in clearing the rubble. I don’t want to be a bitch, but if you lose your mind over being asked to pop on a face covering in Boots, I honestly don’t think you’d be up to a whole lot of the above.
Admittedly, I appreciate that many people would prefer to hear public safety advice from Winston Churchill rather than Boris Johnson. But let’s not kid ourselves the advice would have been massively different, once adjusted for circumstance. For all their constant bleating about the government trying to control them, it’s a shame the poppy-shaggers and online warriors have absolutely zero understanding of how deeply embedded in people’s lives government was in the last world war, in the interests of the wider public good. How would these people have coped with rationing, for years and years on end? Being told by the state how many ounces of basic ingredients you were allowed per week feels a bit more of a pisser than being told to wear a mask while you load up your trolley with pounds and pounds of the stuff in Asda. (I know it’s kilos these days, but I didn’t want to send them really off the dial.)

Then again, maybe I’m wrong. Maybe there was a whole section of British society in 1941 that was convinced the war was not actually real or happening, but was merely part of some great reset cooked up by various international powers. There were certainly enough profiteers at work to make elements of conspiracy theorising understandable, if not remotely excusable.

And maybe that’s also the case in our own day and age. You can see where at least some of the suspicion has crept in. In the first days of the pandemic, when retailers were selling £3 hand sanitiser for £40, and bumping up the price of essentials just because they could, Johnson declared in parliament that there should be laws against this kind of thing. There weren’t any in the end. But we now know that another deeply distasteful type of profit-seeking was in fact directly licensed by the government – and that it resists scrutiny of it to this day.

As well it might. Contracts for PPE were handed out to friends, donors, cronies, firms Owen Paterson worked for, Tory councillors, Matt Hancock’s publican … the list goes on. Much of this happened via VIP lanes and WhatsApps that have now mysteriously disappeared. Billions in taxpayers’ money were spent – but many of those billions were wasted. Individuals made staggering profits, often on items that ended up being unusable. Yet instead of being regarded as social pariahs, these people sail on regardless. Some of them are even in the House of Lords.

It’s not a huge stretch to see how this kind of naked opportunism – some of which was straight profiteering – is a big part of why many ordinary people now feel they too can opt out of the idea of even minimal national effort. Pulling together should come from the top. If our overlords are so obviously out for themselves, how can we really all be in it together?

• Upvote 2