You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Obviously, the virus has had trickle down effects that have made life difficult and will continue to make life difficult.  That said, comparing people getting depressed they can't live their lives as they could in 2019 to millions of people dying from Covid would be a little disrespectful to those dead, would it not? Not sure why we're saying one suffering will outweigh another. 

This illustrates my point perfectly. When you try and draw some perspective or talk about the wider impact of lockdowns you're accused of cheapening or belittling loss.

Death, disease and suffering are sadly part of life. We went to a thing in Chester a while back about the history of disease (uplifting as you can imagine) and the numbers of people who died of the black death, small pox, and all the other shit was off the scale.

This is the first pandemic of the social media age, of the trump/Brexit age, of the 24 hour news age, and my god it shows.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think the abiding memory I'll have from this pandemic (sic) is of that socially distanced funeral where all the chairs are 2 metres apart, and the dead fella's sons move their chairs to comfort their weeping mother, only to get scolded by some jobsworth crematorium cunt. There's not a circle of Hell hot enough for these little Hitlers, and they've been loving this, absolutely loving it.

Me and my brother buried my mum last year. We had to sit apart, only 30 allowed inside. What liberties are you losing? 

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think the abiding memory I'll have from this pandemic (sic) is of that socially distanced funeral where all the chairs are 2 metres apart, and the dead fella's sons move their chairs to comfort their weeping mother, only to get scolded by some jobsworth crematorium cunt. There's not a circle of Hell hot enough for these little Hitlers, and they've been loving this, absolutely loving it.

Mine will be all the haunting scenes of deaths in India and Italy at the early stages of the pandemic. I guess people are just wired differently. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

This illustrates my point perfectly. When you try and draw some perspective or talk about the wider impact of lockdowns you're accused of cheapening or belittling loss.

Death, disease and suffering are sadly part of life. We went to a thing in Chester a while back about the history of disease (uplifting as you can imagine) and the numbers of people who died of the black death, small pox, and all the other shit was off the scale.

This is the first pandemic of the social media age, of the trump/Brexit age, of the 24 hour news age, and my god it shows.

No, it doesn't. All respect to your wife and her father, but what makes their situation any worse than someone whose family member died of Covid? You said it "far, far outweighs it". That's pretty cold. And I like you mate, you've helped me in the depression thread, but this just sounds like you're frustrated at a situation you and your wife may face. Rightfully so maybe, but that's your own perspective.

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I love stuff like this as if the vaccine has ever completely stopped transmission. Like I’ve said, thick as pigshit and lapped up by muppets. 

It's amazing, isn't it. We're a couple of years into it and people still don't have the slightest clue what's going on. Posting complete and utter illogical shite and acting like it's some sort of "gotcha."

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It's amazing, isn't it. We're a couple of years into it and people still don't have the slightest clue what's going on. Posting complete and utter illogical shite and acting like it's some sort of "gotcha."

I think most took an initial viewpoint and have immersed themselves so much into the lies and conspiracy (or are too vain to hold their hands up and say I was wrong) that they continue to push the same old bullocks and cry about facist things like erm…. Facemasks 

3 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The latest one amongst the anti-vax sheep seems to be asking why are they pushing boosters when the vaccine doesn't work against the omicron variant. Despite nobody saying that the current vaccines definitely don't work against this new variant. People have voiced "concerns" about this, but the anti-vax sheep have made their minds up - the vaccines don't work against omicron - and nothing will change their tiny minds. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

As Oscar Wilde said, the cynic knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing. The (overblown) cost of this pandemic in terms of human lives is thrown around (devoid of all context, like the fact that the population on this increasingly crowded planet actually grew by 81.3 million in 2020) but it's never weighed against the value of everything we've had to lose in our futile attempts to stop the inevitable. At what point does the impact on the lives of the 99.95% of people who didn't die from (with) covid start to be seen as important?

• Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The latest one amongst the anti-vax sheep seems to be asking why are they pushing boosters when the vaccine doesn't work against the omicron variant. Despite nobody saying that the current vaccines definitely don't work against this new variant. People have voiced "concerns" about this, but the anti-vax sheep have made their minds up - the vaccines don't work against omicron - and nothing will change their tiny minds. 

Ten mutations in the receptor binding domain alone.  It's not looking good.

Yours Sincerely

A.V. Sheepleton 

6 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Yeah but it's in Aus you massive helmet so it clearly doesn't work does it? 

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

As Oscar Wilde said, the cynic knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing. The (overblown) cost of this pandemic in terms of human lives is thrown around (devoid of all context, like the fact that the population on this increasingly crowded planet actually grew by 81.3 million in 2020) but it's never weighed against the value of everything we've had to lose in our futile attempts to stop the inevitable. At what point does the impact on the lives of the 99.95% of people who didn't die from (with) covid start to be seen as important?

Ironic as you've been a Covid cynic. A bit funny when people who haven't faced the perspective of losing loved ones to Covid accuse others of lacking grander perspective. At the end of the day, people only selfishly look at what's going on in their own lives.

Pretending like you're pragmatically looking at the greater picture and care about greater humanity is laughable. You've simply been concerned at the inconveniences Covid has had on your own life the entire time and only that. Your tantrums and posts in this thread prove that. You don't have to pretend otherwise. That said, I do feel for people like Section.

• Upvote 5

People spent 4 years calling Trump a Nazi.

1st year of Biden :

[from Trials of War Criminals before the Nuremberg Military Tribunals under Control Council Law No. 10. Nuremberg, October 1946–April 1949. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O, 1949–1953.]

Permissible Medical Experiments

The great weight of the evidence before us is to the effect that certain types of medical experiments on human beings, when kept within reasonably well-defined bounds, conform to the ethics of the medical profession generally. The protagonists of the practice of human experimentation justify their views on the basis that such experiments yield results for the good of society that are unprocurable by other methods or means of study. All agree, however, that certain basic principles must be observed in order to satisfy moral, ethical and legal concepts:

1. The voluntary consent of the human subject is absolutely essential.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

People spent 4 years calling Trump a Nazi.

1st year of Biden :

[from Trials of War Criminals before the Nuremberg Military Tribunals under Control Council Law No. 10. Nuremberg, October 1946–April 1949. Washington, D.C.: U.S. G.P.O, 1949–1953.]

Permissible Medical Experiments

The great weight of the evidence before us is to the effect that certain types of medical experiments on human beings, when kept within reasonably well-defined bounds, conform to the ethics of the medical profession generally. The protagonists of the practice of human experimentation justify their views on the basis that such experiments yield results for the good of society that are unprocurable by other methods or means of study. All agree, however, that certain basic principles must be observed in order to satisfy moral, ethical and legal concepts:

1. The voluntary consent of the human subject is absolutely essential.

Fucking hell. 

You've gone full loon. Well done. 

11 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Ironic as you've been a Covid cynic. A bit funny when people who haven't faced the perspective of losing loved ones to Covid accuse others of lacking grander perspective. At the end of the day, people only selfishly look at what's going on in their own lives.

Pretending like you're pragmatically looking at the greater picture and care about greater humanity is laughable. You've simply been concerned at the inconveniences Covid has had on your own life the entire time and only that. Your tantrums and posts in this thread prove that. You don't have to pretend otherwise. That said, I do feel for people like Section.

Good grief, I literally just made a post in which I bemoaned the preposterous inconveniences placed upon a poor grieving family at a funeral. Could you be any denser.

I certainly won't apologise for being able to extrapolate from the fact that things which inconvenience me are also going to inconvenience many millions of other people too. And much bigger inconveniences have been placed on others too.