You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Day 3 (2)

Lazy, not feeling bad by any stretch, few moments where I suddenly can't keep my eyes open and need a nap. Made dinner and decide to have a glass of wine from a bottle I've been saving. This is the moment I find that my taste has been affected, can't taste the wine at all. Like shattered glasses in that old Twilight Zone episode...

1 minute ago, Pureblood said:

He has a point. A social contract was made - have your two jabs and you get your freedoms back. 

What fucking nonsense.  The situation is changing all the time. You sound like a crank on the titanic screaming ‘they said it can’t sink, ignore the water!’ 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yes, we now have a "scary" new variant that is very transmissible and extremely mild.

We have a new variant.  I don’t think we know anything about it’s strength or otherwise as it was only discovered very recently.  It has potential to be bad so they are getting ahead of it.  

That seems to have turned you into a screaming child.  

Classic and sensible precautionary principle regarding this new variant. It's got 13 spike protein mutations, I believe? Early indications suggest it might be more transmittable. There's concerns it might evade vaccines. 

It makes perfect sense to re-introduce a few very basic precautionary measures until more is known about this new variant. Even if a few moaning Minnie's get their tangas in a twist. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I was supposed to get my freedoms back if I got the vaccine.

Mark this date in your diary, because I got this one WRONG. How could I be so stupid to believe what I was told?

Now I'm losing all my freedoms again, ostensibly because of a variant which has killed nobody and which has hospitalised nobody.

Never again will I fall for such a transparent bait and switch. Never again.

I usually sympathise or are in agreement with you but you're being silly now.

• Upvote 1

If anything, the measuremes seem a bit half-arsed. Facemasks to be mandatory from "next week."

Why not from tomorrow? 

They'll only be mandatory on public transport and in shops too. Hospitality venues will be exempt. Why? Doesn't the virus transmit in the Dog & Duck? 

Don't go too far without knowing the full danger of this new variant. Take sensible precautions. But, these precautions seem more designed to limit reputational damage than to reduce possible transmission of the virus. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

If anything, the measuremes seem a bit half-arsed. Facemasks to be mandatory from "next week."

Why not from tomorrow? 

They'll only be mandatory on public transport and in shops too. Hospitality venues will be exempt. Why? Doesn't the virus transmit in the Dog & Duck? 

Don't go too far without knowing the full danger of this new variant. Take sensible precautions. But, these precautions seem more designed to limit reputational damage than to reduce possible transmission of the virus. 

Wassat you say. A Tory  government half assing it again?

This was Africa in the news last week :

Scientists mystified, wary, as Africa avoids COVID disaster

When the coronavirus first emerged last year, health officials feared the pandemic would sweep across Africa, killing millions and destroying the continent’s fragile health systems

Via AP news wire Friday 19

At a busy market in a poor township outside Harare this week, Nyasha Ndou kept his mask in his pocket, as hundreds of other people, mostly unmasked, jostled to buy and sell fruit and vegetables displayed on wooden tables and plastic sheets. As in much of Zimbabwe, here the coronavirus is quickly being relegated to the past, as political rallies, concerts and home gatherings have returned.

“COVID-19 is gone, when did you last hear of anyone who has died of COVID-19?” Ndou said. “The mask is to protect my pocket,” he said. “The police demand bribes so I lose money if I don’t move around with a mask.” Earlier this week, Zimbabwe recorded just 33 new COVID-19 cases and zero deaths, in line with a recent fall in the disease across the continent, where World Health Organization data show that infections have been dropping since July.

When the coronavirus first emerged last year, health officials feared the pandemic would sweep across Africa, killing millions. Although it’s still unclear what COVID-19’s ultimate toll will be, that catastrophic scenario has yet to materialize in Zimbabwe or much of the continent.

Scientists emphasize that obtaining accurate COVID-19 data, particularly in African countries with patchy surveillance, is extremely difficult, and warn that declining coronavirus trends could easily be reversed.

But there is something “mysterious” going on in Africa that is puzzling scientists, said Wafaa El-Sadr, chair of global health at Columbia University. “Africa doesn’t have the vaccines and the resources to fight COVID-19 that they have in Europe and the U.S., but somehow they seem to be doing better,” she said.

Fewer than 6% of people in Africa are vaccinated. For months, the WHO has described Africa as “one of the least affected regions in the world” in its weekly pandemic reports.

Some researchers say the continent’s younger population -- the average age is 20 versus about 43 in Western Europe — in addition to their lower rates of urbanization and tendency to spend time outdoors, may have spared it the more lethal effects of the virus so far. Several studies are probing whether there might be other explanations, including genetic reasons or exposure to other diseases.

Christian Happi, director of the African Center of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Diseases at Redeemer’s University in Nigeria, said authorities are used to curbing outbreaks even without vaccines and credited the extensive networks of community health workers.

“It’s not always about how much money you have or how sophisticated your hospitals are,” he said.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/south-africa-world-health-organization-zimbabwe-scientists-harare-b1960611.html

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

What fucking nonsense.  The situation is changing all the time. You sound like a crank on the titanic screaming ‘they said it can’t sink, ignore the water!’ 

That's how the vaccines were sold - on the basis of getting freedoms back. Cautious but irreversible, remember.

You would do better to listen to Stronts' concerns instead of your usual lashing out trick. One day it might be you thinking you've been conned. 

2 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

That's how the vaccines were sold - on the basis of getting freedoms back. Cautious but irreversible, remember.

You would do better to listen to Stronts' concerns instead of your usual lashing out trick. One day it might be you thinking you've been conned. 

Vaccines shouldn’t need to be sold, unless you’re a fucking idiot. Unfortunately we’ve got loads.  

And your social contract bollocks falls apart when basement dwelling dick heads won’t take it.  

2 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

You didn't get the vaccine though, unfortunately you don't get freedom on the back of us getting the vaccine but far worse, because you'd rather huff horse paste we, potentially, get to suffer off the back of your selfishness.

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

You didn't get the vaccine though, unfortunately you don't get freedom on the back of us getting the vaccine but far worse, because you'd rather huff horse paste we, potentially, get to suffer off the back of your selfishness.

Oh yeah, Omicron is all down to me. That's how it works. Duh. 

11 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Vaccines shouldn’t need to be sold, unless you’re a fucking idiot. Unfortunately we’ve got loads.  

And your social contract bollocks falls apart when basement dwelling dick heads won’t take it.  

You're not going to win the argument by calling people fucking idiots. We saw that with Brexit.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

There is no argument that will convince you. It’s ideological.  Can’t argue with religions.  

Not at all, I've taken my childhood vaccines and am not an anti-vaxxer.

Make me a vaccine that stops me being infected in the first place with a clean safety record and I'll have it.

These current generation leaky vaccines with concerning safety records, sorry but I'm not ready yet. 

Just now, Pureblood said:

Make me a vaccine that stops me being infected in the first place with a clean safety record and I'll have it.

These current generation leaky vaccines with concerning safety records, sorry but I'm not ready yet. 

You're phone seems to be working fine, take another shot of paste and get yourself into the draft.

The zealous and often illogical promotion of vaccines by the government appears to have officially turned a majority of Americans into anti-vaxxers.  Not metaphorically, but apparently, literally as a matter of basic English.

The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines “anti-vaxxer” as “a person who opposes … regulations mandating vaccination.”

So, if you oppose a vaccine requirement, you are an anti-vaxxer.  Well, an official NBC News Survey by Hart Research found that 50% of American adults opposed “requiring that everyone who is now eligible must get a COVID-19 vaccine.”  It appears half of Americans are now officially anti-vaxxers.

In reality, based on the more common, colloquial use of this term, even more Americans are anti-vaxxers.  According to mainstream media, if you raise questions about the safety of COVID-19 vaccines – anti-vaxxer!  If you raise questions about the efficacy of this vaccine – anti-vaxxer!  If you question the FDA, CDC, or White House guidance on this vaccine – anti-vaxxer!  If you want pharma companies to be liable for vaccine injuries – anti-vaxxer!  If you want long term placebo-controlled trials prior to licensure – anti-vaxxer!  If you raise concerns about breakthrough cases – anti-vaxxer!  If you think natural immunity has anything to offer without a vaccine – anti-vaxxer!!!

Obamacare was used as a pejorative and was turned by many into a term of honor.  Could it be that the same fate awaits the term anti-vaxxer?  That does appear the natural result of retorting with “anti-vaxxer” to reasonable and rational questions about these products.

Those supporting these vaccines would do much better to actually address the substantive and legitimate questions being raised, instead of retorting with “anti-vaxxer!”  At some point, they are going to make this term a badge of honor as it may come to mean “someone that raises valid questions about certain vaccines and is met with only ad-hominem responses.”

https://aaronsiri.substack.com/p/a-majority-of-americans-are-anti

7 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Your parents gave their consent for those, not you.  

There’s a phrase for this isn’t there? Can’t remember it, but you set the parameters so they are impossible and then pretend to be reasonable.  You want a vaccine that is better than any vaccine yet developed and then years of safety data and then you’ll join in? Nah, not for me.  You’re a hypocrite and a cunt.  Although that’s not news.