You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

On 26/11/2021 at 09:02, Jairzinho said:

I'd like to see slightly more reporting on what is going on in Japan. A major, developed nation, is now having a radically different experience with the virus in the last few months. 

After the olympics in the summer their cases went through the roof but by about October they almost disappeared. They're now getting a couple of hundred cases a day for a population of 120m or whatever it is. 

Apparently there is a enzyme in the delta variant called NSP14 which has mutated causing the virus to actually kill itself (no kamikaze jokes at the back). This enzyme is responsible for repairing the genome (which often mutates incorrectly when attempting to spread). It appears that initially (in the summer when the case shot up) it had mutated the other way. Also, East Asians have an enzyme themselves (apobec) which Japanese scientists think may have altered the enzyme in the virus. 

Er, givvus yer enzymes?

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Pureblood said:

Health Nerd strikes again. His authority can not be questioned.

His argument can of course be questioned.  I mean, you can do it.  On your marks, get set, go!  (It’ll have to be better than ‘why don’t we just give Ivermectin to everyone who catches Covid’) 

On 26/11/2021 at 10:32, Section_31 said:

Shady as fuck the whole thing, by all accounts mutations are supposed to make viruses weaker not stronger.

SA has a really good set up for picking up viruses , given that ebola and others can appear at any time. Word here is that early cases detected show the virus has quite a mild effect but they want to carry out more checks. I think the  UK has jumped the gun a bit tbh.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Leyton388 said:

Who could have predicted another mysterious variant coming out just before christmas.

They'll be fucking murder if Boris puts us in lock down again.  

Maybe not with the timing, but loads of virologists and epidemiologists predicted that factors like a lack of global vaccines and insufficient preventitive measures (ending work from home and mask mandates/social distancing etc) could lead to a variant that could be vaccine resistant. 

There's been loads of them being ignored, like Jeff Goldblum in Independence Day. 

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

They can fuck off if they think I'm getting any more jabs. Cunts. Filthy fucking fascist cunts.

Yes, working hard to improve a vaccine and making it available to everyone for free is EXACTLY what a facist regime would do.  Page 7 of the playbook.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes, working hard to improve a vaccine and making it available to everyone for free is EXACTLY what a facist regime would do.  Page 7 of the playbook.  

I was supposed to get my freedoms back if I got the vaccine.

Mark this date in your diary, because I got this one WRONG. How could I be so stupid to believe what I was told?

Now I'm losing all my freedoms again, ostensibly because of a variant which has killed nobody and which has hospitalised nobody.

Never again will I fall for such a transparent bait and switch. Never again.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Now I'm losing all my freedoms again, ostensibly because of a variant which has killed nobody and which has hospitalised nobody.

You're being told to put a mask on when you go in a shop, you're not being thrown in an oubliette you massive fanny.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

20 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Mark this date in your diary, because I got this one WRONG. How could I be so stupid to believe what I was told?

Welcome to the party, pal.

30 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Have you been drinking?  

36 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Quilt.