You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Shady as fuck the whole thing, by all accounts mutations are supposed to make viruses weaker not stronger.

I'd like to see slightly more reporting on what is going on in Japan. A major, developed nation, is now having a radically different experience with the virus in the last few months. 

After the olympics in the summer their cases went through the roof but by about October they almost disappeared. They're now getting a couple of hundred cases a day for a population of 120m or whatever it is. 

Apparently there is a enzyme in the delta variant called NSP14 which has mutated causing the virus to actually kill itself (no kamikaze jokes at the back). This enzyme is responsible for repairing the genome (which often mutates incorrectly when attempting to spread). It appears that initially (in the summer when the case shot up) it had mutated the other way. Also, East Asians have an enzyme themselves (apobec) which Japanese scientists think may have altered the enzyme in the virus. 

Er, givvus yer enzymes?

It’s an odd fucker this Covid. Definitely the one who had few friends at school, preferring to spend its time torturing cats and masturbating over the washing the old lady next door hangs on her line.

You think you’re free and then it pulls you back in, you get free and then it pulls you back in. 

It’s a good job I generally do fuck all anyway as I have zero energy.

I also appear to be in a permanent state of irritation. I’ve had most of the symptoms of this for a while; Male, Married, Over Forty, Left Leaning, Sex Starved etc. but I can’t help wonder if Covid has a direct link to mood. The indirect links are obvious, but I reckon there’s more to my current desire to tell everyone to go fuck themselves than I previously understood. 

• Upvote 2

Day 2, which is now day 1 according to test and trace because their symptoms list is bullshit. So an extra day, not all that bad as a cautious return is probably safer. Still though. Wankers.

Then test and trace seem to want to manually plot out where I've been despite it being an app for that expressed purpose and also I've already told everyone I know that I've been in contact with because I'm not a cunt.

All in all I agree about the irritation.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Day 2, which is now day 1 according to test and trace because their symptoms list is bullshit. So an extra day, not all that bad as a cautious return is probably safer. Still though. Wankers.

Then test and trace seem to want to manually plot out where I've been despite it being an app for that expressed purpose and also I've already told everyone I know that I've been in contact with because I'm not a cunt.

All in all I agree about the irritation.

Yeah, I had the same. The NHS website said 2nd December for ending isolation and the Test and Trace app said 3rd. I think it depends on when you put in the code they send you, I left it a day as I don't have the shit app. 

Same as you though, I've informed everyone I was in contact with myself and I'll not be waiting until the 3rd to end isolation. The nonsense is that if I'd had the PCR test when I had the initial email last week I'd end isolation this Saturday, instead of next Thursday. How the fuck does that work?

Makes no sense.

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

Shady as fuck the whole thing, by all accounts mutations are supposed to make viruses weaker not stronger.

There's a good thread explaining that here: 

Ultimately you'd expect Covid to become relatively benign, as other coronavirus have over time. It's the cost of the journey to that which is the concern.

As far as Nu-variant goes. We really no little about it at the moment. It does appear to be more transmissible, but it could be much less virulent for all we know. Even if it is not, it might not be a vaccine-escape strain. 

Couple of knobs on my Facebook are calling the new one ‘The Bah Humbug Variant’

Mrs Turdseye just tested positive on two LFT’s after one of her friends got a positive PCR. Sharing a bed with her and a car journey earlier this morning, if I don’t get it this time then I’m basically bulletproof. She was vaping in the bedroom when I went up last night as well. Covid Hot Box. 

Looks like home schooling is back baby.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Mrs Turdseye just tested positive on two LFT’s after one of her friends got a positive PCR. Sharing a bed with her and a car journey earlier this morning, if I don’t get it this time then I’m basically bulletproof. She was vaping in the bedroom when I went up last night as well. Covid Hot Box. 

Best wishes to Mrs. T. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

If you don't get it, I want your blood serum and I'm not afraid of using weapons to get it.

• Upvote 1

Regardless of how accurate the threat of the latest variant is it's tour of Europe seems to be underway, was detected in Belgium on the 11th November.

All those fuckers going on weekend breaks to the Christmas markets will be bringing it back to the UK, chips and mayo scoffing nonces.

43 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Regardless of how accurate the threat of the latest variant is it's tour of Europe seems to be underway, was detected in Belgium on the 11th November.

All those fuckers going on weekend breaks to the Christmas markets will be bringing it back to the UK, chips and mayo scoffing nonces.

The same day as it was “discovered” in Botswana. 

My bird’s friend has now had a positive PCR, which we’re assuming is how she caught it. Her friend is from… South Africa. They haven’t been back lately or anything but it seems to me that South Africans are now passing it to each other on the phone and Facebook, alongside the more conventional methods. 

• Upvote 1

Well, last time South Africa tried with their variant it failed to catch on and it was quickly pushed out of the virus market by a much more affordable Indian product, using mainly highly efficient  UK international distribution channels.

Hopefully they will fail again.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, SasaS said:

Well, last time South Africa tried with their variant it failed to catch on and it was quickly pushed out of the virus market by a much more affordable Indian product, using mainly highly efficient  UK international distribution channels.

Hopefully they will fail again.

In 2 planes from SA into Schiphol, about 600 passengers, 61 has tested positive. Looks like they might succeed this time. 

Best mate's kid's class was sent home during the week due to a suspected outbreak in class. He rang me on  Thursday to confirm that he, his wife and 3 kids (all under 10 years of age)  all tested positive. Kids are fine thankfully but him and his wife were completely fucked for a couple of days. She's coming around again now from it but he's still feeling rough. They were both fully vaccinated thankfully as he's not the healthiest. 

• Upvote 1