You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8481107/

Increases in COVID-19 are unrelated to levels of vaccination across 68 countries and 2947 counties in the United States

At the country-level, there appears to be no discernable relationship between percentage of population fully vaccinated and new COVID-19 cases in the last 7 days (Fig. 1). In fact, the trend line suggests a marginally positive association such that countries with higher percentage of population fully vaccinated have higher COVID-19 cases per 1 million people. 

10654_2021_808_Fig1_HTML.jpg

• Upvote 1

The latest study examined the effect of vaccines on transmission more directly. It analysed testing data from 139,164 close contacts of 95,716 people infected with SARS-CoV-2 between January and August 2021 in the United Kingdom, when the Alpha and Delta variants were competing for dominance.

The authors found that although the vaccines did offer some protection against infection and onward transmission, Delta dampened that effect. A person who was fully vaccinated and then had a ‘breakthrough’ Delta infection was almost twice as likely to pass on the virus as someone who was infected with Alpha. And that was on top of the higher risk of having a breakthrough infection caused by Delta than one caused by Alpha.

Unfortunately, the vaccine’s beneficial effect on Delta transmission waned to almost negligible levels over time. In people infected 2 weeks after receiving the vaccine developed by the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca, both in the UK, the chance that an unvaccinated close contact would test positive was 57%, but 3 months later, that chance rose to 67%. The latter figure is on par with the likelihood that an unvaccinated person will spread the virus.

A reduction was also observed in people vaccinated with the jab made by US company Pfizer and German firm BioNTech. The risk of spreading the Delta infection soon after vaccination with that jab was 42%, but increased to 58% with time.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02689-y

They don't stop the spread well enough so covid passes aren't the answer. Tell that to the groups working on digital ID though and see how much they care.

Citing the diminishing benefits of a certification system as more and more people get vaccinated, the Committee’s report demanded that the Government provide scientific evidence backing-up its claims that requiring Covid passports was necessary to reopening the economy and society if it pressed ahead with plans to implement them. Doing so through the publication of the public health case, cost-benefit analyses, and modelling of the potential impacts would be essential to public understanding and acceptance of the system, the report said.

The Government failed to give any such evidence in its response.

https://committees.parliament.uk/committee/327/public-administration-and-constitutional-affairs-committee/news/157355/covid-passport-policy-lacks-scientific-evidence-base/

Follow the science. Unless they provide none.

4 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Do you agree that deaths have drastically reduced since the vaccine roll-out? 

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

If what we've seen so far is anything to go by not anywhere near enough.

That’s not what you said.  It’s not as if they’ve designed it to be only provide 64x protection. 

Once again you’ve proved to be full of shit.  

Weren’t you writing a book at one point. 

25 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That’s not what you said.  It’s not as if they’ve designed it to be only provide 64x protection. 

Once again you’ve proved to be full of shit.  

Weren’t you writing a book at one point. 

Yeah I've been away from the thread a bit lately so a bit rusty. I meant that they don't work well enough to prevent infection.

So here you go :

You could vaccinate the entire population and close the borders but you're not going to eliminate covid. The vaccines reduce hospitalisation and death, but they don't work well at stopping the virus from spreading around. No amount of covid passes, mandates or scapegoating unvaccinated is going to eliminate covid.

And governments and corporations are taking advantage of what's happening to further their own agendas no matter how many times you say conspiracy theorist.

Maybe it'll click eventually.

Maybe I could write a book on authoritarianism and bullshit since covid started up but it'd probably take way too long to complete.

Notice you skipped this too :

Unfortunately, the vaccine’s beneficial effect on Delta transmission waned to almost negligible levels over time. In people infected 2 weeks after receiving the vaccine developed by the University of Oxford and AstraZeneca, both in the UK, the chance that an unvaccinated close contact would test positive was 57%, but 3 months later, that chance rose to 67%. The latter figure is on par with the likelihood that an unvaccinated person will spread the virus.

What next? 3 monthly pharma subscriptions for access to your life?

And can you give me some good examples of "anti-vaxxers" who've never suggested that people don't take the vaccine? Or are we working on the updated version of anti-vaxxer now just like we're working with updated versions of vaccination, herd-immunity and gain of function research?

Now who's full of shit.

7 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yeah I've been away from the thread a bit lately so a bit rusty. I meant that they don't work well enough to prevent infection.

So here you go :

You could vaccinate the entire population and close the borders but you're not going to eliminate covid. The vaccines reduce hospitalisation and death, but they don't work well at stopping the virus from spreading around. No amount of covid passes, mandates or scapegoating unvaccinated is going to eliminate covid.

And governments and corporations are taking advantage of what's happening to further their own agendas no matter how many times you say conspiracy theorist.

Maybe I could write a book on authoritarianism and bullshit since covid started up but it'd probably take way too long to complete.

And can you give me some good examples of "anti-vaxxers" who've never suggested that people don't take the vaccine? Or are we working on the updated version of anti-vaxxer now just like we're working with updated versions of vaccination, herd-immunity and gain of function research?

Now who's full of shit.

Snort some WD40 mate. gets rid of Covid as well. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Snort some WD40 mate. gets rid of Covid as well. 

I'll pass on WD40 but I'm off back to playing on the Switch. Like I said not long back I have some good games now so no amount of baiting is getting me back to regular arguing in this thread. The games are too good. You'd think people would be happy with that but someone often goes on the wind up not long after I've left and that gets me back here, strange really.

20 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

So here you go :

Now who's full of shit.

You, you’re the one who’s full of shit because you fail to fucking understand the basics.  

You are dim and I can’t understand stuff for you. 

Now, where’s the book? 

34 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

You, you’re the one who’s full of shit because you fail to fucking understand the basics.  

You are dim and I can’t understand stuff for you. 

Now, where’s the book? 

Troll harder, I'm trying to level on an RPG that's way more interesting than your bait.

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

I'll pass on WD40 but I'm off back to playing on the Switch. Like I said not long back I have some good games now so no amount of baiting is getting me back to regular arguing in this thread. The games are too good. You'd think people would be happy with that but someone often goes on the wind up not long after I've left and that gets me back here, strange really.

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Do you agree that deaths have drastically reduced since the vaccine roll-out? 

Baiting? I asked a question. 

58 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Baiting? I asked a question. 

I didn't mean you, and yeah I think they've reduced covid hospitalisations and deaths a lot. I think people should be free to decide if they want one or not though without being coerced.

edit : sorry I missed your post earlier. I saw Rico's then responded and forgot to check earlier posts.

https://news.yahoo.com/gibraltar-cancels-official-christmas-celebrations-covid-coronavirus-163444274.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

Gibraltar has cancelled official Christmas celebrations after it saw a spike in COVID cases.

Despite being one of the most heavily vaccinated parts of the world, the government announced there would be no official parties, receptions and similar gatherings due to a rise in infections.

The vaccine rollout in Gibraltar has been phenomenally successful, the territory administering 94,937 COVID jabs so far, including 39,815 second doses, with an additional 14,241 booster jabs - a vaccination rate of 139.5%.

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I didn't mean you, and yeah I think they've reduced covid hospitalisations and deaths a lot. I think people should be free to decide if they want one or not though without being coerced.

edit : sorry I missed your post earlier. I saw Rico's then responded and forgot to check earlier posts.

No need to apologise mate. So, vaccines are a good thing then? 

14 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Ok generally? 

Yes, I'm not going to say vaccines are good without adding anything else because for a lot of people they've had side effects. Most people are fine though so I said ok generally. I could also say mostly good.

I wonder how many anti-vaxxers think that vaccines are mostly good? Maybe I'm not very good at this and need to read up on more conspiracy theories or something.

Or am I an anti-vaxxer because I won't say they're good without adding anything else? Because if so I think we have more serious problems than me being a so-called anti-vaxxer.

11 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Yes, I'm not going to say vaccines are good without adding anything else because for a lot of people they've had side effects. Most people are fine though so I said ok generally. I could also say mostly good.

I wonder how many anti-vaxxers think that vaccines are mostly good? Maybe I'm not very good at this and need to read up on more conspiracy theories or something.

Or am I an anti-vaxxer because I won't say they're good without adding anything else? Because if so I think we have more serious problems than me being a so-called anti-vaxxer.

I just wondered that's all. Wasn't accusing you of anything. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Austria has now decided to go into a full national lockdown. And announced that vaccines will now be mandatory. 

Germany have declared a "fourth wave" and stated that they are in a state of "national emergency."

Russia has set a new record for daily official deaths. 

This thing looks anything but done. 

A possible 'bright spot' for the UK is that we've already had what others are now getting, given that infection rates have been so high since 'freedom day'.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Mudface said:

A possible 'bright spot' for the UK is that we've already had what others are now getting, given that infection rates have been so high since 'freedom day'.

We've had a higher infection rate than Al Swearengen's brothel.

• Upvote 2