You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

Yep. Normally, this wouldn't matter too much, aside from allowing dickheads to annoy people.

Covid though, they're killing people because of their utter stupidity. This really wasn't complicated and yet this selfish philosophical cancer of 'freedom' has made everything so much worse. The government's a disaster, but not everything they ask you to do is an attempt to grind you into the dust.

Wear a mask, don't be a prick, be patient, get vaccinated.

I think I said before, but can you imagine if the vaccines had been restricted to the 'elite' or cost ten grand and the rest of us had been told to just got on with things?

Spot on, if the government had set up a fake income based vaccine program, leaked it and then ‘reluctantly’ agreed to allow everyone to have it at the same time RP and his mates would have been fucking herding people to be jabbed! 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

Spot on, if the government had set up a fake income based vaccine program, leaked it and then ‘reluctantly’ agreed to allow everyone to have it at the same time RP and his mates would have been fucking herding people to be jabbed! 

Called it ages ago, both spot on. Grifting weirdos who would rather fight against good than stand up against actual evil 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

They can pick up a pet theory, wait for it to be discredited and then jettison it for the next one. Morons on here, the usual suspects, do the same.

Here's some other pet theories people have tried that haven't turned out well :

Just a few weeks of lockdown,

vaccines stop the spread,

only need 1 shot,

only need 2 shots,

only need a booster,

only need 2 boosters,

covid passes,

mandates,

scapegoating the unvaccinated,

censorship,

ignoring protests around the world,

ignoring police brutality,

ignoring natural immunity,

ignoring creation of a two tier society,

ignoring authoritarianism.

No side comes out of this looking perfect I don't think. I fully supported lockdowns last year more than once, but even if they did work to stop the spread at the time there's still been a massive cost to health from that and I'm not pretending it couldn't have been done better.

7 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Here's some other pet theories people have tried that haven't turned out well :

Just a few weeks of lockdown,

vaccines stop the spread,

only need 1 shot,

only need 2 shots,

only need a booster,

only need 2 boosters,

covid passes,

mandates,

scapegoating the unvaccinated,

censorship,

ignoring protests around the world,

ignoring police brutality,

ignoring natural immunity,

ignoring creation of a two tier society,

ignoring authoritarianism.

No side comes out of this looking perfect I don't think. I fully supported lockdowns last year more than once, but even if they did work to stop the spread at the time there's still been a massive cost to health from that and I'm not pretending it couldn't have been done better.

You are absolutely right, it could have been done better. Lots of people who weren't experts could have acted better as well, and still should to this day. Everyone forgets the elephant in the room though, you know, the actual virus that doesn't give a fuck for anyones opinion and has ripped through people like the biggest plague we've seen in over a hundred years 

17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Everyone forgets the elephant in the room though, you know, the actual virus that doesn't give a fuck for anyones opinion and has ripped through people like the biggest plague we've seen in over a hundred years 

A lot of it has been overly political which hasn't helped. It sometimes seems more like left/right arguing at times instead of focusing on how to deal with it best and where any type of end to all of this could be.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Red Phoenix said:

A lot of it has been overly political which hasn't helped. It sometimes seems more like left/right arguing at times instead of focusing on how to deal with it best and where any type of end to all of this could be.

I think many have been doing just that. 

40 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I think many have been doing just that. 

I was meaning more of those in power, the media, and those who get sucked into all that stuff more I think. And there's so many different aspects to this now that people probably have quite a few different versions of what is actually the best way out of this. As usual though it'll be the idiots in power deciding what happens, or what they can get away with.

A cheap antidepressant reduced the need for hospitalization among high-risk adults with COVID-19 in a study hunting for existing drugs that could be repurposed to treat coronavirus.

Researchers tested the pill used for depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder because it was known to reduce inflammation and looked promising in smaller studies.

The pill, called fluvoxamine, would cost $4 for a course of COVID-19 treatment. By comparison, antibody IV treatments cost about $2,000 and Merck's experimental antiviral pill for COVID-19 is about $700 per course. Some experts predict various treatments eventually will be used in combination to fight the coronavirus.

The results, published Wednesday by Lancet Global Health, were so strong that independent experts monitoring the study recommended stopping it early because the results were clear.

The larger project looked at eight existing drugs to see if they could work against the pandemic virus. The project is still testing a hepatitis drug, but all the others — including metformin, hydroxychloroquine and ivermectin — haven't panned out.

On 29/10/2021 at 21:45, Strontium Dog™ said:

Well, you know, firefighters in full respiratory gear must be a real big covid risk to everyone.

I bet every single one of them firefighters will be big enough to admit that covid wasn’t over last winter. 

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

I bet every single one of them firefighters will be big enough to admit that covid wasn’t over last winter. 

Good to see your commitment to free debate is as strong as ever.

I think the excess death figures speak more loudly than firefighters ever could.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Good to see your commitment to free debate is as strong as ever.

I think the excess death figures speak more loudly than firefighters ever could.

I mean, the top line is deluded bullshit deflection nonsense isn't it 

The second line is as heartless and warped as you can get. It's terrifying that you might actually believe your own bullshit. Thankfully, I'm an honest human being who can see right through the chancers. Happy halloween Strontz

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I mean, the top line is deluded bullshit deflection nonsense isn't it 

The second line is as heartless and warped as you can get. It's terrifying that you might actually believe your own bullshit. Thankfully, I'm an honest human being who can see right through the chancers. Happy halloween Strontz

I don't believe anyone's bullshit. I believe the stats. Show me that the stats are wrong and I'll stop believing them. Nobody can be any more honest than that.

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I don't believe anyone's bullshit. I believe the stats. Show me that the stats are wrong and I'll stop believing them. Nobody can be any more honest than that.

I don't believe your bullshit either so welcome to the club! You said it will be over by last winter, people are still dying right now from it. You questioned if anyone would be big enough to admit they were wrong, then got it tragically wrong and still continue to spout your usual bollocks. Completely dis-honest as usual. Show me the excess death stats you are on about then admit you were very very wrong with your prediction. I'll wait. I assume amongst them stats you'll be able to show me where people have died of covid, no amount of wriggling will ever not show that you were wrong, again.