You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

23 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

They'll just privatise the NHS by stealth and will continue with what they've done through covid. They'll just take more and more services and push them into private companies to deliver. So the NHS will become nothing more than a brand name. An example of this is I currently have my GP and Boots fighting over me to do my annual flu jab. Both are free to me to get, but obviously choosing Boots will take away resources away from the GP. 

I'm actually shocked they haven't already created special covid hospitals delivered by one of their mates. 

The majority of GP surgeries in London, and further afield, are already owned by private companies, most from US based companies.

As you say it’s been happening by stealth for a long time, just look at screening systems, the vast majority are outsourced for profit.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The majority of GP surgeries in London, and further afield, are already owned by private companies, most from US based companies.

As you say it’s been happening by stealth for a long time, just look at screening systems, the vast majority are outsourced for profit.

And it's why these services are so expensive to deliver. 

Depends on the circumstances, if you have the fortune to look under 16, 18 or 25 there's plenty of situations where you'll need to provide evidence of who you are to varying degrees.

Increasingly we're seeing the need for photo ID to buy tickets to, and enter, events.

Police want to see your license after pulling you over then you've got 7 days to get yourself to the nearest police station.

The idea that, in a world that tracks everything you do already, the need to show you're vaccinated is the start of a dystopian future seems a bit late.

35 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Depends on the circumstances, if you have the fortune to look under 16, 18 or 25 there's plenty of situations where you'll need to provide evidence of who you are to varying degrees.

Increasingly we're seeing the need for photo ID to buy tickets to, and enter, events.

Police want to see your license after pulling you over then you've got 7 days to get yourself to the nearest police station.

The idea that, in a world that tracks everything you do already, the need to show you're vaccinated is the start of a dystopian future seems a bit late.

I think some of what you say there is a distraction. The police one as an example - nobody is forcing you to carry that ID to gain access. The only time I have ever provided ID for any event was to keep my season ticket and I was less than fucking happy about that. But we did it once. I don't take ID the game with me, although of course my ST is linked to Google pay. And young people have always been expected to prove their age to some degree. I don't think that it unreasonable for products that require you to be of an age to have them. 

But if we say covid passes just become the norm, with the technology we have today, where does it end? We all need to buy devices to give us blood tests or ecg's to require us to attend events for "insurance" reasons? What if I don't want uneducated people to attend places, you need a "degree pass"? What if I want my event not to have people of a particular nationality, colour or creed? It's the thin end of the wedge imo. We shouldn't be expecting anyone to have to prove anything for public events. The ability to be anonymous if we choose when we go about our day should be a given. 

We live in a very strange time where public health is important because of the pandemic. I am fine with the idea of temporary restrictions. But they should be just that..as we come out of this pandemic and learn to treat it better, there should be no need for them going forward. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think some of what you say there is a distraction. The police one as an example - nobody is forcing you to carry that ID to gain access. The only time I have ever provided ID for any event was to keep my season ticket and I was less than fucking happy about that. But we did it once. I don't take ID the game with me, although of course my ST is linked to Google pay. And young people have always been expected to prove their age to some degree. I don't think that it unreasonable for products that require you to be of an age to have them. 

But if we say covid passes just become the norm, with the technology we have today, where does it end? We all need to buy devices to give us blood tests or ecg's to require us to attend events for "insurance" reasons? What if I don't want uneducated people to attend places, you need a "degree pass"? What if I want my event not to have people of a particular nationality, colour or creed? It's the thin end of the wedge imo. We shouldn't be expecting anyone to have to prove anything for public events. The ability to be anonymous if we choose when we go about our day should be a given. 

We live in a very strange time where public health is important because of the pandemic. I am fine with the idea of temporary restrictions. But they should be just that..as we come out of this pandemic and learn to treat it better, there should be no need for them going forward. 

Nobody is arguing for them as a permanent part of life.

26 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

You are very naive if you think they won't become that.

That's unworkable - how could they ensure people from other countries visiting work to the same standards?

It will be a temporary solution and it will be optional at best.

6 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

If you don’t give the government 40% of your earnings you go to prison.  You have no choice in it. Can’t see much of a difference here. If you don’t get the jab it impacts on your way of life.  

So what is the next restriction? Have the perfect weight or ensure no more than 20 units of alcohol every week or you don't get your NHS? Or perhaps we could have a pub app that tracks every drink and once you've have your daily/weekly/monthly allocation, we should be sent home? Or perhaps in our bid to save the planet, we get an allocation of 10 miles per day to drive our petrol or diesel cars and then they cut off?

Of course covid passports are different. This idea "I pay tax, therefor I should give up every freedom" is shite argument. If anyone had said it would be a requirement to carry proof of a vaccine to get access to things 2 years ago, they'd have been rightly laughed at as a crank. The world has changed and we've had to put up with some temporary measures, but that's all they should be. Now we're all vaccinated (or at least as many as want it) without much chance of a better solution to covid going forward, any freedoms we give up now there is every chance they'll stay unless we're careful. And once they're implemented, there'll be other things to follow. These Tory twats have wanted a football ID scheme for 40 years. They've used covid to get one. It won't be the last thing they push through unless we watch them. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So what is the next restriction? Have the perfect weight or ensure no more than 20 units of alcohol every week or you don't get your NHS? Or perhaps we could have a pub app that tracks every drink and once you've have your daily/weekly/monthly allocation, we should be sent home? Or perhaps in our bid to save the planet, we get an allocation of 10 miles per day to drive our petrol or diesel cars and then they cut off?

Of course covid passports are different. This idea "I pay tax, therefor I should give up every freedom" is shite argument. If anyone had said it would be a requirement to carry proof of a vaccine to get access to things 2 years ago, they'd have been rightly laughed at as a crank. The world has changed and we've had to put up with some temporary measures, but that's all they should be. Now we're all vaccinated (or at least as many as want it) without much chance of a better solution to covid going forward, any freedoms we give up now there is every chance they'll stay unless we're careful. And once they're implemented, there'll be other things to follow. These Tory twats have wanted a football ID scheme for 40 years. They've used covid to get one. It won't be the last thing they push through unless we watch them. 

We aren’t talking about the next one. We are talking this one. No one is taking about any of the restrictions you waffle about after this, in fact you could argue they are arguing the opposite. The government wants you to ignore a pandemic to eat and drink more. They even gave us a

discount to get us out and drinking and eating more that led to more cases. 

Next. 

9 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

We aren’t talking about the next one. We are talking this one. No one is taking about any of the restrictions you waffle about after this, in fact you could argue they are arguing the opposite. The government wants you to ignore a pandemic to eat and drink more. They even gave us a

discount to get us out and drinking and eating more that led to more cases. 

Next. 

My point is 2 years ago, nobody would have considered vaccine passports a possibility. There's absolutely no scenario people could have described where it could have thought it possible. This government has actually talked in the past of denying NHS to peolle who have a high BMI (and by this government I don't mean Johnson, I seem to recall it was with the austerity kids Cameron and Osbourne in one of their many public testing of policy seeking cuts to the NHS before backing away as there was a backlash). So you are dead right, nobody is suggesting that right now. But governments who want to tateget segments of society don't do that. They do it by stealth. As I say, they've just managed to introduce ID passes to football after wanting to do it for 40 years without even a wimper - when LFC tried to do this a few years back it was quickly kicked into touch. And this was all done through the covid back door. 

I know you're a Tory, so you trust these cunts probanly a whole lot more than me. I would 100% expect them to do more with this and people are blind to it because it is their own nutjobs who are wanting to prevent the covid passports. 

28 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

My point is 2 years ago, nobody would have considered vaccine passports a possibility. There's absolutely no scenario people could have described where it could have thought it possible. This government has actually talked in the past of denying NHS to peolle who have a high BMI (and by this government I don't mean Johnson, I seem to recall it was with the austerity kids Cameron and Osbourne in one of their many public testing of policy seeking cuts to the NHS before backing away as there was a backlash). So you are dead right, nobody is suggesting that right now. But governments who want to tateget segments of society don't do that. They do it by stealth. As I say, they've just managed to introduce ID passes to football after wanting to do it for 40 years without even a wimper - when LFC tried to do this a few years back it was quickly kicked into touch. And this was all done through the covid back door. 

I know you're a Tory, so you trust these cunts probanly a whole lot more than me. I would 100% expect them to do more with this and people are blind to it because it is their own nutjobs who are wanting to prevent the covid passports. 

More nonsense.  This isn’t creeping laws by stealth it’s a response to a global pandemic that’s killed millions worldwide.  No one would have thought about these laws except the people who planned for pandemics.  

You don’t know I’m a Tory because I’m not.  I’ve voted for them in the past because it suited me.  

Other than that you were spot on.  Well done.  

42 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

More nonsense.  This isn’t creeping laws by stealth it’s a response to a global pandemic that’s killed millions worldwide.  No one would have thought about these laws except the people who planned for pandemics.  

You don’t know I’m a Tory because I’m not.  I’ve voted for them in the past because it suited me.  

Other than that you were spot on.  Well done.  

So you're saying there's nothing else..but why I we been required to provide photo ID for football when I've been to the theatre twice in the west end since the reopening without it? It's happening already. 

34 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

So you're saying there's nothing else..but why I we been required to provide photo ID for football when I've been to the theatre twice in the west end since the reopening without it? It's happening already. 

I’m saying that this government are biggest load of fucking morons we’ve ever seen so that there are inconsistencies in legislation is hardly surprising.  It’s certainly not indicative of some deep state conspiracy to take away our freedoms.  They couldn’t even keep their attempts to make their mates rich from the press. You are giving them an enormous amount of credit thinking they could organise something bigger than a child’s birthday party.  

13 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I’m saying that this government are biggest load of fucking morons we’ve ever seen so that there are inconsistencies in legislation is hardly surprising.  It’s certainly not indicative of some deep state conspiracy to take away our freedoms.  They couldn’t even keep their attempts to make their mates rich from the press. You are giving them an enormous amount of credit thinking they could organise something bigger than a child’s birthday party.  

It doesn't need to end here though does it? It might be in the next government. Johnson might be gone before the next election and some other slippery Tory twat will leverage it. It's why any measures need to be on the statutes for just 3 months at a time only as a maximum and then they need to be brought back and discussed in parliament every time to keep them. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It doesn't need to end here though does it? It might be in the next government. Johnson might be gone before the next election and some other slippery Tory twat will leverage it. It's why any measures need to be on the statutes for just 3 months at a time only as a maximum and then they need to be brought back and discussed in parliament every time to keep them. 

Right, so now we’re on a slippery slope for some potential government in the future?  Maybe invent a dog too.