You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Those are reasons for people to get vaccinated. I'm talking specifically about barring people who aren't vaccinated from partaking fully in society, which is what vaccine passports do.

So for you, they have to specifically stop transmission for passports to be a valid idea? That's arbitrary.

23 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

If someone hasn't been vaccinated, do you not think it's reasonable that the people around them have the right to know? 

Why? What difference does it make if vaccinated people spread the virus as unvaccinated do?

15 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

So for you, they have to specifically stop transmission for passports to be a valid idea? That's arbitrary.

It's not arbitrary at all, the whole basis behind them is that unvaccinated people present a transmission threat which vaccinated people don't. 

15 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Why? What difference does it make if vaccinated people spread the virus as unvaccinated do?

Is it confirmed that people spread the virus the same whether vaccinated or not? I thought there was less spread after vaccination as they are not as badly effected? 

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Is it confirmed that people spread the virus the same whether vaccinated or not? I thought there was less spread after vaccination as they are not as badly effected? 

That was my thinking too.

8 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

45,000 new cases yesterday.

800 deaths in the last week.

200,000 pupils absent from school.

A rate of deaths per million people nearly triple those seen in France, Germany and Italy.

Going well, this. 

What's the solution though?

In a post-vaccine world, this is basically as good as it gets, the cavalry isn't coming, it's already here, but sadly some people have told it to get fucked.

So we have the choice to either live with these numbers or live in a world of neverending cycles of lockdowns. Not a world I want to live in to be honest.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

As I understand, you're about 90% less likely to contract it if you're vaccinated. Can't spread it if you don't have it. To your point though, if you do get it, a lower viral load makes it more difficult for the virus to spread beyond you.

• Upvote 2

I thought the vaccine just blunted the symptoms, basically put you in bed for two days rather than ICU for two weeks, which stops the NHS from being overwhelmed, which was what lockdowns were designed to stop. That's why I don't understand the media's obsession with numbers of cases, cases wasn't the problem, those cases putting people on ventilators was.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

As I understand, you're about 90% less likely to contract it if you're vaccinated. Can't spread it if you don't have it. To your point though, if you do get it, a lower viral load makes it more difficult for the virus to spread beyond you.

in a in a world where you can go to prison for not wearing a seatbelt I don’t think this is the big deal these idiots think it is. 

In fact, anyone not having a vaccine should be forced to drive without a self belt.  

39 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Yes, there's apparently a bit less spread, but it doesn't remove the risk altogether.

26 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I don't think that's the basis. Where has anyone said that?

Literally every piece on it. What other justification could there be for them?

46 minutes ago, Chris said:

I don't think the number is that big. I think I read you're 90% less likely to be hospitalised. I seem to recall we're only about 50-60% less likely to catch it (depending on the vaccine). But when you have it after being vaccinated, you're also less likely pass it on as for many people the viral load isn't high enough to be transmissible. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't think the number is that big. I think I read you're 90% less likely to be hospitalised. I seem to recall we're only about 50-60% less likely to catch it (depending on the vaccine). But when you have it after being vaccinated, you're also less likely pass it on as for many people the viral load isn't high enough to be transmissible. 

So bigger than a 'bit', I take it?

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What's the solution though?

In a post-vaccine world, this is basically as good as it gets, the cavalry isn't coming, it's already here, but sadly some people have told it to get fucked.

So we have the choice to either live with these numbers or live in a world of neverending cycles of lockdowns. Not a world I want to live in to be honest.

I don't think it's that black and white.

Would it have been so difficult to maintain the rule on mask wearing in shops, public transport, etc, for example?

• Upvote 3

53 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

I don't think it's that black and white.

Would it have been so difficult to maintain the rule on mask wearing in shops, public transport, etc, for example?

Yes, because Freedom Day would have been fucked and there wouldn't have been any short term boost from headlines basking in the glory of us plucky Brits conquering the virus against all odds.

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, and you're asking a question you can find the answer to in a minute if you tried.

I’m asking the person who is making the claim to provide me with their info of their claim. If you want to make claims, you know the drill on here, you back it up and not just make it up.