You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

As you point out, vaccines don't prevent transmission. That's how you know vaccine passports aren't about stopping the spread of the virus, they're about control.

No, the point is clearly to reduce hospitalizations to a minimum so we can have a semblance of a normal health system that isn't getting regularly put in shambles by Covid patients. Because that's what the vaccines are great at; reducing hospitalizations. And the more you vaccinate, the more normally you can live.

13 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No, the point is clearly to reduce hospitalizations to a minimum so we can have a semblance of a normal health system that isn't getting regularly put in shambles by Covid patients. Because that's what the vaccines are great at; reducing hospitalizations. And the more you vaccinate, the more normally you can live.

How do vaccine passports do that?

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Aren’t a lot of the hospitalisations already vaccinated? 

I’m not so sure, however stand to be corrected. 

ive been reading the last few pages of this thread and quite frankly the level of stupidity on show is mind boggling

We're fucking blessed to live in a time where we can basically create a "cure" for something so serious in record time, yet some people, for some crazy reason dont want to sign up to it. 

as i read somewhere, its now becoming a pandemic of the stupid, and thats about the best description you can get

• Upvote 7

25 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Aren’t a lot of the hospitalisations already vaccinated? 

I’m not so sure, however stand to be corrected. 

I don't know, why don't you look it up?

And even if the answer is yes, there's such a thing as common sense, which would say that if the vast majority of people are vaccinated, then it wouldn't be ridiculous if a high number of the hospitalized were vaccinated just because of the numbers.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

And even if the answer is yes, there's such a thing as common sense, which would say that if the vast majority of people are vaccinated, then it wouldn't be ridiculous if a high number of the hospitalized were vaccinated just because of the numbers.

Spot on. There’s a name for it that I can’t remember but the numbers vaxxed people mean they make up a lot of the hospitalisations but the proportion of unvaxxed is higher. 

32 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Hang on, you’re making the claim. 

I heard on the radio (5Live) the other that only 1 in 6 of hospitalisations were non-vaccinated. 

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n2306

What effect have higher vaccination rates had on these trends?

SAGE noted that most patients admitted to hospital with covid after 16 June 2021 were fully vaccinated.5 Public Health England said that even with a “highly effective vaccine” this was expected, given the high rate of vaccine uptake and a policy of vaccinating higher risk people first. In its latest surveillance report Public Health England emphasised that the rate of hospital admissions and death from covid remained “substantially greater” in unvaccinated than in vaccinated people.6 For example, between the week beginning Monday 16 August 2021 and the week ending Sunday 12 September, the rate of hospital admissions of over 80s was 50.5 per 100 000 in the fully vaccinated and 143.9 per 100 000 in the unvaccinated, while deaths were 45.5 and 145.4 per 100 000, respectively. These trends were seen across the board. For example, for 60-69 year olds the hospital admission rates were 13.5 per 100 000 in the fully vaccinated and 74.3 per 100 000 in the unvaccinated, while deaths were 4.1 and 24.3 per 100 000, respectively.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

https://www.bmj.com/content/374/bmj.n2306

What effect have higher vaccination rates had on these trends?

SAGE noted that most patients admitted to hospital with covid after 16 June 2021 were fully vaccinated.5 Public Health England said that even with a “highly effective vaccine” this was expected, given the high rate of vaccine uptake and a policy of vaccinating higher risk people first. In its latest surveillance report Public Health England emphasised that the rate of hospital admissions and death from covid remained “substantially greater” in unvaccinated than in vaccinated people.6 For example, between the week beginning Monday 16 August 2021 and the week ending Sunday 12 September, the rate of hospital admissions of over 80s was 50.5 per 100 000 in the fully vaccinated and 143.9 per 100 000 in the unvaccinated, while deaths were 45.5 and 145.4 per 100 000, respectively. These trends were seen across the board. For example, for 60-69 year olds the hospital admission rates were 13.5 per 100 000 in the fully vaccinated and 74.3 per 100 000 in the unvaccinated, while deaths were 4.1 and 24.3 per 100 000, respectively.

Pretty similar stats here mate. 

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

As you point out, vaccines don't prevent transmission. That's how you know vaccine passports aren't about stopping the spread of the virus, they're about control.

You said this. What is the relevance of that?

1 hour ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I read this about seven times and I still have no idea what it means. Sorry.

53 minutes ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

Hang on, you’re making the claim. 

I heard on the radio (5Live) the other that only 1 in 6 of hospitalisations were non-vaccinated. 

Yes, and you're asking a question you can find the answer to in a minute if you tried.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If vaccines don't prevent transmission, then vaccinated people can still spread the virus, and the central argument for vaccine passports is undone.

So vaccines reducing serious disease, hospitalizations, and reducing strain on the health system is not a reason?

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If vaccines don't prevent transmission, then vaccinated people can still spread the virus, and the central argument for vaccine passports is undone.

All vaccines? You are advocating vaccines don’t work? I for one am looking forward to smallpox. 

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

So vaccines reducing serious disease, hospitalizations, and reducing strain on the health system is not a reason?

Those are reasons for people to get vaccinated. I'm talking specifically about barring people who aren't vaccinated from partaking fully in society, which is what vaccine passports do.

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Control of what? 

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Those are reasons for people to get vaccinated. I'm talking specifically about barring people who aren't vaccinated from partaking fully in society, which is what vaccine passports do.

If someone hasn't been vaccinated, do you not think it's reasonable that the people around them have the right to know?