You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

I've had my booster jab this morning. I'd been AZ on my original ones, but I've been topped up with Pfizer. Even though the online stuff says you'll likely get Pfizer or Moderna and if you had AZ originally you might be offered AZ, the girl doing the injection said all boosters the recommendation is Pfizer as it provides best protection against the newer variants. 

I had the same, AZ originally and topped up with Pfizer. And the Flu jab in the other arm. Didn’t have any side effects either apart from being a bit tired for a couple of days so hopefully be the same for you. 

48 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Lots of the stuff he posts is right wing in origin, it's only a matter of time from there once the youtube algorithm, google searches and twitter start leading you deeper.

It's how lots of people get trapped, sad really.

Oh look it's about me again. And yeah I managed to stay left wing all these years until the old youtube algorithm got me, shame.

I hate to break it to you but Biden and anyone that supports mandates forcing people out of their jobs and covid passes that shut people out from being able to live their lives like they used to be able to, has shifted further to the right. This shit definitely isn't left wing.

A lot of poor people and minorities are in serious trouble with this shit right now incase you didn't notice.

Explain to me how Trump, if he'd remained president, would have so much support if he'd also mandated 100 million american workers to get vaccines to keep their jobs.

The answer is that he obviously wouldn't, and liberals all over the fucking place would be bouncing off the upper atmosphere in rage screaming about how this finally confirms he's a nazi.

So much of the defence of this is wrong, and I'll look to left wing, centrist, and right wing sources whenever I feel like it because opposing this crap transcends the usual left/right divide. The proof is where left and right are in agreement that it's authoritarian bullshit.

Fuck Biden, who definitely isn't left wing, fuck mandates and fuck covid passes.

Here's another right winger for you to get concerned about me posting tweets of before I go too :

9 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:
57 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Lots of the stuff he posts is right wing in origin, it's only a matter of time from there once the youtube algorithm, google searches and twitter start leading you deeper.

It's how lots of people get trapped, sad really.

Read more  

Oh look it's about me again.

If it helps, i'm talking about people like you not just you, but you happen to be the evidence most handily available.

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

If it helps, i'm talking about people like you not just you, but you happen to be the evidence most handily available.

The previously normal to an extent, left/right divide, doesn't work properly in this situation like I already said.

8 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

Some good news, my Grandson is now symptom free and his lateral flow tests are negative.

Relief.

Great news. Similar with my lad, and both myself and my wife have tested negative a couple of times over the period too. He's got a couple more days of self isolation and hopefully that'll be it.

Some more good news, from a big French study-

French study of over 22m people finds vaccines cut severe Covid risk by 90%
Largest study of its kind also finds vaccines appear to protect against worst effects of Delta variant

Researchers compared 11m vaccinated over-50s with the same number of unvaccinated from the same age group between 27 December 2020 and 20 July

Vaccination reduces the risk of dying or being hospitalised with Covid-19 by 90%, a French study of 22.6 million people over the age of 50 has found.

The research published on Monday also found that vaccines appear to protect against the worst effects of the most prevalent virus strain, the Delta variant.

“This means that those who are vaccinated are nine times less at risk of being hospitalised or dying from Covid-19 than those who have not been vaccinated,” the epidemiologist Mahmoud Zureik, who oversaw the research, told Agence France-Presse.

The study – the largest of its kind so far – was carried out by Epi-Phare a scientific group set up by France’s health system, its national health insurance fund, l’Assurance Maladie (CNAM), and the country’s ANSM medicines agency.

Claire Bromley from Kent, in hospital after she contracted coronavirus while pregnant.
One in six most critically ill NHS patients are unvaccinated pregnant women with Covid
Read more
Researchers compared 11.3 million vaccinated over-50s with the same number of unvaccinated from the same age group between 27 December 2020, when vaccinations began in France, and 20 July this year.

They found “a reduction in the risk of hospitalisation superior to 90%” from the 14th day after the second dose and a similar reduction in the number of deaths from Covid-19. Similar findings have previously been published in Israel, the UK and the US.

The vaccines’ effectiveness in combatting the most serious symptoms of Covid did not diminish during the five-month period of the study, they said. The results were the same no matter whether the patient was given the Pfizer/BioNTech, Moderna or Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine.

The Janssen one-dose shot, authorised later in France, was not included as the researchers felt there had not been enough patients or time to properly study its effectiveness.

Researchers only had a month between the emergence of the Delta variant in France and the end of the study, but results showed the vaccines reduced the risk of serious symptoms and death by 84% among the over-75s and 92% for the 50-74 age group.

“This is a very short period to evaluate the real impact of the vaccination on this variant,” Zureik said, adding that research was continuing into the effect of vaccines on the Delta variant.

To ensure the closest possible comparison, researchers paired vaccinated and unvaccinated people of the same age and sex living in the same region. The study looked only at the most serious symptoms of infection and did not examine if the vaccines stopped people becoming infected or transmitting the virus.

Zureik said avoiding the most serious infections was “the main public health objective”. “An epidemic without serious infections is no longer an epidemic,” he added.

The report concludes: “All the vaccines [studied] against Covid-19 are highly effective and have a major effect on the reductions of serious forms of Covid-19 among people aged 50 years and older living at the current time in France. The continuing research by Epi-Phare will allow us to measure the evolution of this effectiveness over a longer period and better establish the effects on the Delta variant.”

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Great news. Similar with my lad, and both myself and my wife have tested negative a couple of times over the period too. He's got a couple more days of self isolation and hopefully that'll be it.

Some more good news, from a big French study-

Great news about your lad mate. Fingers crossed for you all.

That report gives you a bit more confidence. With the vaccines we have and the others currently in trials, things are starting to look up.

I think it's still a bit early to relax fully just in case there's a sting in the tail with another variant, and the current wave still needs to be brought under control, but the light at the end of the tunnel does seem to be shining a bit brighter.

• Upvote 1

As a corollary, case rates and deaths in Eastern Europe- where the vaccination rate has been much slower- are reaching critical levels- https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/11/covid-rates-lower-western-europe-than-central-and-eastern

As ever, the UK's a bit of a weird outlier thanks to Johnson's weakness and prevarication.

I won't copy and paste the article, as it has a number of charts in.

31 minutes ago, Mudface said:

As a corollary, case rates and deaths in Eastern Europe- where the vaccination rate has been much slower- are reaching critical levels- https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/11/covid-rates-lower-western-europe-than-central-and-eastern

As ever, the UK's a bit of a weird outlier thanks to Johnson's weakness and prevarication.

I won't copy and paste the article, as it has a number of charts in.

Does this coincide with people from the UK being able to travel? 

6 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

I had the same, AZ originally and topped up with Pfizer. And the Flu jab in the other arm. Didn’t have any side effects either apart from being a bit tired for a couple of days so hopefully be the same for you. 

They didn't offer me the flu jab, although I normally have one. I feel a bit crap to be honest. Headache, runny nose, sneezing, sore eyes and I feel pretty tired. I was supposed to travel down to London tonight, but fucked that off, will have to go tomorrow. 

A parliamentary report says that the Covid 19 vaccination programme is one of the most effective initiatives in UK history but the delay in the first lockdown was a serious error that should have been challenged.

It's pretty scathing and surprise surprise, the buffoon has gone on holiday right before the release of the report.

Perfect timing don't you think.

Yet another case of him not answering for his incompetent, calamitous and callous decisions.

9 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

The previously normal to an extent, left/right divide, doesn't work properly in this situation like I already said.

The pandemic has become left/right politicised though hasn't it?  Certainly in the US and on the internet.

There's definitely a fair few of the hippy/libertarian left who are anti-vax, or pro horseradish, but the great majority of the "Covid is a myth" or anti-vax stuff has come from the right, and from mainstream media and politicians too.  That's why in America 90% of Democrats are vaccinated and only 58% of Republicans.

It's an absolute disgrace really.  Deliberately encouraging their own voters to have more chance of getting sick and dying.

And because the "right" and Republicans have gone anti-vax, now the Dems and the "left" have gone even more pro-vax, and then you get policy and actions that are just trying too hard to score political points.

Anyway, I agree that vaccine mandates are a bad thing (we had a chat about the passports previously too, and I think they are pretty unworkable in most situations, other than stuff like international travel).  Carrot is better than stick.

The thing is they wouldn't be needed at all if the stupid arse right wing hadn't told people that carrots were left wing/Chinese/big pharma conspiracy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

The pandemic has become left/right politicised though hasn't it?  Certainly in the US and on the internet.

There's definitely a fair few of the hippy/libertarian left who are anti-vax, or pro horseradish, but the great majority of the "Covid is a myth" or anti-vax stuff has come from the right, and from mainstream media and politicians too.  That's why in America 90% of Democrats are vaccinated and only 58% of Republicans.

It's an absolute disgrace really.  Deliberately encouraging their own voters to have more chance of getting sick and dying.

And because the "right" and Republicans have gone anti-vax, now the Dems and the "left" have gone even more pro-vax, and then you get policy and actions that are just trying too hard to score political points.

Anyway, I agree that vaccine mandates are a bad thing (we had a chat about the passports previously too, and I think they are pretty unworkable in most situations, other than stuff like international travel).  Carrot is better than stick.

The thing is they wouldn't be needed at all if the stupid arse right wing hadn't told people that carrots were left wing/Chinese/big pharma conspiracy.

It's been a near total mess from the off I think. First there's Trump who doesn't seem to give a shit at all so the virus rages all over the place, then "nothing will fundamentally change" Biden arrives and the whole thing carries on until we get to this with his mandate.

It might've been best if Trump had taken it more seriously and Biden hadn't done this mandate BS, but looking at the state of things the chances of this going well probably wasn't that great when you look at the presidents involved. I agree that it was always going to be a left/right thing to an extent though, impossible for it not to be with the current divide over there.

The Texas gov has just banned mandates with an executive order too :

Biden's mandate itself still isn't real at this point either, so if it does end up arriving in the near future that should be when the court cases and more drama start up : Joe Biden’s Vaccine Mandate Doesn’t Exist. It’s Just A Press Release

Unbelievably 'Hindsight' is trending as a result of this report. Are people so stupid they can't remember the warnings we had? This was only last year, not a lifetime ago.

This is on the PM.

image.png

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/12/covid-response-one-of-uks-worst-ever-public-health-failures?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jennings said:

Unbelievably 'Hindsight' is trending as a result of this report. Are people so stupid they can't remember the warnings we had? This was only last year, not a lifetime ago.

This is on the PM.

image.png

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/oct/12/covid-response-one-of-uks-worst-ever-public-health-failures?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Johnson's away on holiday- the little tinker- and he got Brexit done, so it doesn't count.

• Upvote 1