You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

41 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Off the red list, motherfuckers!!!

Not been home for a while and not kept up with the news, how is Blighty's green and pleasent, worth a visit?

I hear people posting videos of Townes and then NOT VOTING for him are still refused entry, I'm afraid.

On 05/10/2021 at 18:06, TD_LFC said:

Why do people like you fixate on the obscure conspiracy theories though?

If you're worried about authoritarianism you could be focusing on the Conservatives plans for Human Rights legislation, workers rights, treatment of the poor and disabled. Are they not glamourous enough, too obvious, causes you'd have to do actual work to fight against?

It always confuses me when the might of the Facebook/Twitter/Forums swing for the fences on the weirdest shit they've followed down the rabbit hole.

Because the most important thing to these people is looking smart and clever and feeling a sense of importance. You'll NEVER see them protesting about dodgy bills to reduce our privacy etc or anything actually important.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheSire said:

Because the most important thing to these people is looking smart and clever and feeling a sense of importance. You'll NEVER see them protesting about dodgy bills to reduce our privacy etc or anything actually important.

And won't admit being wrong 

8 minutes ago, TheSire said:

That would imply they possess self awareness. 

True. It's a trait replaced with narcissism. No problem with someone not wanting a vaccine for genuine reasons. Spouting horsebollocks off some internet grifter though .... get fucked 

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Hospitalizations and deaths are still on a downward trend, since mid-September.

17 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That’s 3 weeks. 

Seems like something weird happened on Sept 10 - the next day cases dropped by over 20% and stayed at that level for a few weeks before returning to what they had been previously two weeks later. Seems strange to have that kind of anomaly.

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Seems like something weird happened on Sept 10 - the next day cases dropped by over 20% and stayed at that level for a few weeks before returning to what they had been previously two weeks later. Seems strange to have that kind of anomaly.

Ivermectin 

14 hours ago, TheSire said:

If you lost your job because you didn't want a vaccine you'd soon find it actually important. Good luck having increased privacy with a covid pass too.

13 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

NHS already know that you've had the vaccine, showing the screen of your phone to the local meat head at the door of an event you're attending isn't going to cause you too many issues.

Covid passes could stay around longer than we think and be expanded on :

Covid Status Certificates would likely begin with limitations meaning they could only be used for covid-19 – but after the huge cost and reorganisation of society, this would never last. Covid passes would inevitably expand to be used for other purposes. The rationale underpinning the proposal would be applied to other vaccines, seasonal influenza and other health issues – and potentially much more. It is quite possible that biological risk scores could expand and morph over time.

From number 6 in this list : https://bigbrotherwatch.org.uk/campaigns/stopvaccinepassports/#stop-vaccine-passports

5 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Seems a contradiction that the founding member of 'Big Brother Watch' would also be a founding member of the 'conservative friends of Russia' and 'Vote Leave' 

I don't think I'd be a fan of the founder either. There's been a new director since 2018 though and Elliot isn't on the board either from what I can see.

From The New Statesman :

Carlo, 31, who has been BBW’s director since 2018, previously worked at the left-leaning advocacy group Liberty and on Edward Snowdens official defence fund. She herself is politically unaligned and says BBW has always recognised that the defence of civil liberties transcends party politics. She points out that Tory stalwarts such as the former leader Iain Duncan Smith joined Jeremy Corbyn and the Liberal Democrats this month in objecting to Covid-19 vaccine passports.

. . .

But for Carlo, the risk is far greater than we are even beginning to comprehend. She puts the debate over passports in the context of an expanding surveillance state: from the ubiquity of CCTV to post-9/11 security powers that have never been rescinded. She describes the past decade as “a prolonged state of emergency and exceptionalism”, and fears that Covid – like terrorism – will become the pretext for governments to act in ever more invasive ways. 

Those fears are already being realised, with this government seizing powers to bypass parliamentary scrutiny and curtailing the right to protest. 

. . .

None of this is to underestimate the imperative for governments to take radical action to save lives. But how we respond to Covid-19 now has serious implications for the future of civil liberties – especially if, as with counterterrorism laws, “temporary” measures quickly become permanent. And while we might trust our government to keep us safe now, this kind of surveillance architecture is, Carlo says, why Edward Snowden blew the whistle on US security practices in 2013. 

“He defined it as ‘turnkey tyranny’: you only need a change of circumstances or a change of government before things that might seem benign… suddenly they could take a very different form.”

https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/2021/04/big-brother-watch-s-silkie-carlo-rule-law-has-broken-down

39 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't think I'd be a fan of the founder either. There's been a new director since 2018 though and Elliot isn't on the board either from what I can see.

That's a step in the right direction at least, though we're still unsure what the people pulling the strings are trying to achieve and how far it differs from his ideology.

This is partly what I mean about the inconsistency though, at it's core that group looks like it was built on the back of really dodgy ideals/intent and it only took a few minutes to find it yet you (a collective you) don't apply anywhere near the same levels of scrutiny because of confirmation bias.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

yet you (a collective you) don't apply anywhere near the same levels of scrutiny because of confirmation bias.

Because I looked at who's directing it now and agree with what they're doing.

She herself is politically unaligned and says BBW has always recognised that the defence of civil liberties transcends party politics.

But yes, make it about me, some Tory founder, horse paste eating rednecks, QAnon, conspiracy theorists. Anything but tackling the actual issue.

"But why aren't you focusing on the other stuff the Tories are doing?!" I keep reading. Because I'm focusing on this that the Tories are doing.

This thread is an echo chamber on this subject. The only reason you even found the Tory founder was because you wanted to find some angle of attack instead of agreeing with what was quoted.

Should it be cancelled because it had a Tory founder? Should Tony Benn not have spoken at the launch because it had a Tory founder? Should Shami Chakrabarti, Dawn Butler, RLB not have spoken at one of their events recently because it had a Tory founder?

I'm really glad I've stopped spending so much time on all of this.