You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

36 minutes ago, Mudface said:

But you'd have to be severely deficient to get much effect from a vitamin or mineral supplement, to the point where you'd likely have been hospitalised through malnutrition anyway. This idea that taking a pill can 'boost' your immune system is just as much woo as these detox regimes promoted by Vorderman and the like.  The best boost you can get for your immune system is a vaccine.

I'll leave you with this as an example : https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/12/201215091635.htm

And here's the NHS recommending it in a covid update. Even though they don't agree it has the evidence to help with covid itself, it's hardly woo that taking a supplement can be useful : https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

15 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I'll leave you with this as an example : https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/12/201215091635.htm

And here's the NHS recommending it in a covid update. Even though they don't agree it has the evidence to help with covid itself, it's hardly woo that taking a supplement can be useful : https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

And I'll leave you with this- https://www.cochrane.org/CD015043/HAEMATOL_vitamin-d-effective-and-safe-treatment-covid-19

and this- https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/can-supplements-help-boost-your-immune-system

I live in Scotland and am immuno-compromised due to Methotrexate, so taking Vitamin D seems a sensible precaution, i.e. it can't hurt. I've got no idea whether it helps against Covid though and nor has anyone else judging by the lack of evidence. We have an abundance of real world evidence that the vaccines do though.

On 13/09/2021 at 13:44, TheHowieLama said:

Right - lets sum this up quicklike:

@Red Phoenix are you currently taking ivermectin that has been prescribed for you by a GP and filled at a pharmacy?

On 13/09/2021 at 14:22, TheHowieLama said:

I will extend this question to any poster on here.

I do not know a single person who is - pretty sure if I went into my doc, who has been treating me for years, and told him I was not going to get vaccinated but wanted a script for ivermectin he would do his best to keep from busting out laughing then politely steer me away from that therapy.

Extending this to all posters on here - has anyone had or known anyone to have had serious side effects from taking the Covid vaccine? I am guessing I know hundreds of folks who have got it and have not heard of any.

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

And I'll leave you with this- https://www.cochrane.org/CD015043/HAEMATOL_vitamin-d-effective-and-safe-treatment-covid-19

and this- https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/can-supplements-help-boost-your-immune-system

I live in Scotland and am immuno-compromised due to Methotrexate, so taking Vitamin D seems a sensible precaution, i.e. it can't hurt. I've got no idea whether it helps against Covid though and nor has anyone else judging by the lack of evidence. We have an abundance of real world evidence that the vaccines do though.

I've no idea how anything could interact with methotrexate so I'm not going to suggest anything there, I hope it helps you get better though obviously. The main thing I was pointing to in the first link was the level of deficiency in the UK as well, and this is from your second link :

The bottom line is that aside from vaccines, there's really nothing you can take to improve your immune system, so it's probably best to avoid pills and potions that make those types of claims.

I've used that site several times over the years and there's been some good stuff there as you'd expect seeing as it's Harvard, but I completely disagree with what's said there and find it mad that the article even says that. Yes you could say it's a random person on an internet forum vs a Harvard article, but there's going to be a lot of people out there and many from medical/science fields that would also find that a really odd statement I'd guess.

38 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

There is enough history now to look at year on year stats.

Deaths in the US are double what they were last Sept - 7 day average is running around 2000 a day now.

Deaths in the UK are four and a half times more than they were last Sept.

*Shrug* just a minor irritation 

48 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I've no idea how anything could interact with methotrexate so I'm not going to suggest anything there, I hope it helps you get better though obviously. The main thing I was pointing to in the first link was the level of deficiency in the UK as well, and this is from your second link :

The Methotrexate is for rheumatoid arthritis- it's an auto-immune disease where your immune system ends up attacking your own body. One of the drug's side effects is to fuck your immune system, which is what you want so you don't get attacks, but not so much that it completely screws you, so much smaller doses than a cancer patient.

Again, I've got no idea if supplements help, but on the grounds they're not going to make things worse and there may be some benefit, then I'll happily take vitamins B, C and D. And yes, anyone deficient in anything should take a supplement too.

Covid's different though, not only is there no evidence that vitamins or supplements do anything, there's a ton of evidence that the vaccines do. Even on a pure risk vs reward scale, the evidence is insurmountable that everyone should take a vaccine (unless there's some medical reason not to). Even better, you're not only protecting yourself, but others around you given that they also reduce transmission, which no vitamin is ever going to do.

I've used that site several times over the years and there's been some good stuff there as you'd expect seeing as it's Harvard, but I completely disagree with what's said there and find it mad that the article even says that. Yes you could say it's a random person on an internet forum vs a Harvard article, but there's going to be a lot of people out there and many from medical/science fields that would also find that a really odd statement I'd guess.

But the statement is correct. By far the best thing you can do is make sure you exercise and don't eat like a pig. Vitamins and supplements aren't going to help with a shitty lifestyle, people need to understand that you can't just swallow some magical pills and be 100 pounds lighter with a perfect body biochemistry ready to kick Covid's arse. You need to work at it.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mudface said:

The Methotrexate is for rheumatoid arthritis- it's an auto-immune disease where your immune system ends up attacking your own body. One of the drug's side effects is to fuck your immune system, which is what you want so you don't get attacks, but not so much that it completely screws you, so much smaller doses than a cancer patient.

That sounds like it sucks and I hope what you're taking manages it well enough, at the same time it's good to read that it's not for cancer which is what I feared when first looking it up.

I get that vits/mins can't magically transform your health either if you're having a shitty lifestyle but I still disagree that they don't have any effect. Maybe the Harvard writer was trying to make sure that people got the vaccine and feared they'd give other ideas. Or maybe one issue is what you refer to as boosting. From what I've read taking supplements needs time to have a good enough effect on the levels in your body so maybe it's related to that too.

And again with vaccines, I'm not setting this thing up as opposed to taking one, when I first started talking about it I meant as something that could've helped save lives in the year before the vaccine came out. But still I'm not expecting everyone to agree with me either.

Ive prepaid £115 combined for two Corona tests in Liverpool One my last two trips over. 

The whole thing feels like a scam, since I also need to be double vaccinated and to have had a negative covid test the last 48 hours before entering the UK.

Ive also just been staying from Friday to Sunday, but its a way to boost the economics I guess. 

Norway is also a Green country. 

6 hours ago, Code said:

Ive prepaid £115 combined for two Corona tests in Liverpool One my last two trips over. 

The whole thing feels like a scam, since I also need to be double vaccinated and to have had a negative covid test the last 48 hours before entering the UK.

Ive also just been staying from Friday to Sunday, but its a way to boost the economics I guess. 

Norway is also a Green country. 

In Khartoum you can get a 24hr test for about $5/10.

You can get a three hour turn around for $20.

All Internationally recognised.

So, yeah, there’s a massive mark up and people are getting paid. 

32 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

In Khartoum you can get a 24hr test for about $5/10.

You can get a three hour turn around for $20.

All Internationally recognised.

So, yeah, there’s a massive mark up and people are getting paid. 

Yes you can get one for free in Liverpool as well, but to be allowed to enter the UK,  you have to fill in a passenger locator form and to get a code to finish it you need to have prepaid a coronatest. 

I have not taken either of the tests obviously, as I would already be home when the results where ready, and I had done a test in less than 24 hours before. 

Lad I used to work with has cystic fibrosis and type 1 diabetes and caught the vid but only had mild tiredness as he was double jabbed. He was shitting it early in the pandemic and was holed up unable to leave his flat. Anyone with doubts about the vaccine should talk to people like that.

• Upvote 6

5 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Lad I used to work with has cystic fibrosis and type 1 diabetes and caught the vid but only had mild tiredness as he was double jabbed. He was shitting it early in the pandemic and was holed up unable to leave his flat. Anyone with doubts about the vaccine should talk to people like that.

Very encouraging and couldn't agree more with your last sentence. 

Unfortunately there are far too many idiots who fail to grasp this simple fact.

My lad and son in law included.

9 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

The horse pasters have recognised that the horse paste isn't working. 

They haven't really, they're telling people not to go to hospital (because they'll 'drown' you on Remdesivir and a ventilator), and are giving instructions on how to get people out of hospital to carry on with their retarded treatments. Keeps the ICU numbers down I guess.