You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

7 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

Improving the general health of a population will always help especially with things like diabetes and heart health, but it won't stop people getting sick, and it won't stop people dying so you still need vaccines and medicine to combat it and you still need people to do there part in taking it to protect those who genuinely can't.

I've had COVID, it sucked but I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have to go to hospital and I'd take a jab every week if it meant I didn't get it again, but no amount of broccoli would have fixed it.

If the health improvement is focused on the immune system I think it could cut down on the severity of a lot of covid cases. I can understand that parts of the population won't be able to have that happen so easily though due to their own health conditions.

On 21/06/2020 at 18:14, Strontium Dog™ said:

There are four coronaviruses which cause common cold outbreaks every winter. One of them was responsible for the Russian Flu pandemic of the 1890s that killed a million people.

This is pretty typical. Our ancestors would have been killed in their droves by viruses that we now shrug off as a minor irritation.

Covid will become like common cold says Oxford vaccine creator Sarah Gilbert | Evening Standard

Covid-19 will eventually become like the other coronaviruses which circulate widely and cause the common cold, a world-leading scientist has said.

Professor Dame Sarah Gilbert, whose work led to the development of the Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid-19 jab, told a Royal Society of Medicine webinar the virus will weaken over time and “eventually” become like the others.

“We already live with four different human coronaviruses that we don’t really ever think about very much and eventually Sars-CoV-2 will become one of those,” she said.

“It’s just a question of how long it’s going to take to get there and what measures we’re going to have to take to manage it in the meantime.”

COVID will end up resembling common cold by spring next year, leading experts say | UK News | Sky News

Professor Sir John Bell, regius professor of medicine at Oxford University, said the virus could resemble the common cold by spring next year as people's immunity to the virus is boosted by vaccines and exposure.

"I think we're over the worst of it now and I think what will happen is, there will be quite a lot of background exposure to Delta," he added, saying the case numbers are quite high but those who have had two vaccines and are infected will still lead to stronger herd immunity.

"I think we're headed for the position Sarah describes probably by next spring would be my view," he said.

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

This is pretty typical. Our ancestors would have been killed in their droves by viruses that we now shrug off as a minor irritation.

Our siblings, parents and grand parents ARE being killed in their droves by a virus that, hopefully, our kids and grand kids will shrug off as a minor irritation.

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Our siblings, parents and grand parents ARE being killed in their droves by a virus that, hopefully, our kids and grand kids will shrug off as a minor irritation.

Most people have already shrugged it off as a minor irritation. But congratulations on restating my point in slightly different words.

12 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

If the health improvement is focused on the immune system I think it could cut down on the severity of a lot of covid cases. I can understand that parts of the population won't be able to have that happen so easily though due to their own health conditions.

Again, we can't get people to take a vaccine proven to reduce the effects of a virus that has gripped the world for the past year, the effects of which are staring them in the face. Getting people to take supplements and swap out turkey twizzlers for for some nebulous future threat seems like a thankless task.

15 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Again, we can't get people to take a vaccine proven to reduce the effects of a virus that has gripped the world for the past year and is staring them in the face. Getting people to take supplements and swap out turkey twizzlers for for some nebulous future threat seems like a thankless task.

Ok, I guess we're not going to agree with much on this one.

I'll add a negative too that I was thinking of earlier : when you look at the state of the UK at the moment and think back to the bog roll event, recommending some vits/mins, supplements could've just resulted in empty shelves for weeks/months on end anyway, which I admit doesn't help my case.

It could be good if we had a bit more of a focus on it for the future though, it might help deal with whatever nebulous threat we might face a bit better.

17 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Ok, I guess we're not going to agree with much on this one.

I'll add a negative too that I was thinking of earlier : when you look at the state of the UK at the moment and think back to the bog roll event, recommending some vits/mins, supplements could've just resulted in empty shelves for weeks/months on end anyway, which I admit doesn't help my case.

It could be good if we had a bit more of a focus on it for the future though, it might help deal with whatever nebulous threat we might face a bit better.

The people who would have taken the vitamins are the same people who'd have taken the vaccine, if the government had said the cure was Ivermectin (as an example) all those taking ivermectin now would have refused to take it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with what is and isn't good for you and everything to do with being seen sticking it to the man and not being a sheep, until you spend your final minutes on the planet begging for the vaccine (the vaccine you told everyone, via your iPhone, was an excuse to chip you so they could track you movement) as you slowly die from lack of oxygen.

27 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Liverpool take up of the vaccines at 62% is a bit disappointing.

Haven't looked but it's probably in line with the demographic.

For cities with low take up I'm surprised the government and football clubs (or whatever sports club is the main focus in that area) haven't come out with targeted campaigns at a local level, they have access to high-profile faces who are treated as gods by the public, even if they don't convert everyone it has to have an impact.

43 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

The people who would have taken the vitamins are the same people who'd have taken the vaccine, if the government had said the cure was Ivermectin (as an example) all those taking ivermectin now would have refused to take it.

It has absolutely nothing to do with what is and isn't good for you and everything to do with being seen sticking it to the man and not being a sheep, until you spend your final minutes on the planet begging for the vaccine (the vaccine you told everyone, via your iPhone, was an excuse to chip you so they could track you movement) as you slowly die from lack of oxygen.

What you say makes out like the only solution was to wait for the vaccine and anything else wouldn't have worked. Vitamins and ivermectin taken in the right dosage don't have the side effects that the vaccine is well know to have for some so it wouldn't have resulted in the same hesitancy/rejection, and then you're talking about the extreme end of the conspiracy theory group who think they'd be chipped and tracked via the vaccine.

We're not going to agree like I said so it seems a bit pointless now.

37 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

What you say makes out like the only solution was to wait for the vaccine and anything else wouldn't have worked. Vitamins and ivermectin taken in the right dosage don't have the side effects that the vaccine is well know to have for some so it wouldn't have resulted in the same hesitancy/rejection, and then you're talking about the extreme end of the conspiracy theory group who think they'd be chipped and tracked via the vaccine.

We're not going to agree like I said so it seems a bit pointless now.

They also wouldn't have done anything to treat or prevent Covid.

• Upvote 1

Some of the listed side effects of Ivermectin

• tiredness
  • loss of energy
  • stomach pain
  • loss of appetite
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • dizziness
  • sleepiness or drowsiness
  • itchiness
  • joint pain and swelling
  • swollen and tender lymph nodes
  • itching
  • rash
  • fever
  • eye problems
  • Pain in your neck and back
  • Serious eye problems. Symptoms can include:
    • redness
    • bleeding
    • swelling
    • pain
    • loss of vision
  • Shortness of breath
  • Inability to control urination
  • Inability to control bowel movements
  • Trouble standing or walking
  • Confusion
  • Extreme tiredness
  • Extreme drowsiness
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Low blood pressure, especially when you get up after sitting or lying down. Symptoms can include:
    • lightheadedness
    • dizziness
    • fainting
  • Severe skin reactions. Symptoms can include:
    • severe rash
    • redness
    • blistering skin
    • peeling skin
  • Liver damage. Symptoms can include:
    • tiredness
    • nausea
    • vomiting
    • loss of appetite
    • pain on the right side of your stomach
    • dark urine
    • yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes

And Ibuprofen for a laugh.

headaches

feeling dizzy

feeling sick (nausea)

being sick (vomiting)

wind

indigestion

black poo or blood in your vomit – these can be signs of bleeding in your stomach

swollen ankles, blood in your pee or not peeing at all – these can be signs of a kidney problem

severe chest or stomach pain – these can be signs of a hole in your stomach or gut

difficulty breathing, or asthma symptoms that become worse

Call 999 if: 

you get a skin rash that may include itchy, red, swollen, blistered or peeling skin

you're wheezing

you get tightness in the chest or throat

you have trouble breathing or talking

your mouth, face, lips, tongue or throat start swelling

And that's not ALL the side effects, just the ones the NHS list.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

They also wouldn't have done anything to treat or prevent Covid.

Again I'm not agreeing, several vitamins/minerals are key to our immune system working properly, if it doesn't work properly I think it's fair to assume that we're more likely to have a bad time with covid. So a campaign to focus on those vitamins and minerals could lessen the severity if the government tried it.

No this is not saying if you end up in hospital I suggest vitamins and minerals would work. Very likely way too late at that point. I'm talking about preventative measures for parts of the population that have deficiencies.

And if we're going to argue that, that's saying that if our immune system doesn't work properly because of deficiency it doesn't change how covid affects us.

42 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

I saw coma there and that's mentioned here only as an effect of overdose : https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a607069.html

Even if I have it wrong though and it can have serious side effects I'm going to guess that at normal doses they're going to be less frequent than the rate the vaccine gives seeing as we don't even have a long term picture of the effects yet and problems are already known. Maybe that's wrong though and over time we'll see that, fair enough if so.

I've never actually recommended ivermectin though (you listed it as an example in response to me saying vits/mins supplements), I don't know how well it could actually work and my main problem was media and social media people lying about it/reporting things that later turned out to be false, but for some reason we keep coming back to it.

It don't think vitamins or minerals especially are going to have the same issue either, so again I'm not going to believe that recommending some of them to help lessen the amount of deficiency in the population would've been a bad idea.

16 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Again I'm not agreeing, several vitamins/minerals are key to our immune system working properly, if it doesn't work properly I think it's fair to assume that we're more likely to have a bad time with covid. So a campaign to focus on those vitamins and minerals could lessen the severity if the government tried it.

No this is not saying if you end up in hospital I suggest vitamins and minerals would work. Very likely way too late at that point. I'm talking about preventative measures for parts of the population that have deficiencies.

And if we're going to argue that, that's saying that if our immune system doesn't work properly because of deficiency it doesn't change how covid affects us.

But you'd have to be severely deficient to get much effect from a vitamin or mineral supplement, to the point where you'd likely have been hospitalised through malnutrition anyway. This idea that taking a pill can 'boost' your immune system is just as much woo as these detox regimes promoted by Vorderman and the like.  The best boost you can get for your immune system is a vaccine.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TD_LFC said:

• tiredness
  • loss of energy
  • stomach pain
  • loss of appetite
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • dizziness
  • sleepiness or drowsiness
  • itchiness
  • joint pain and swelling
  • swollen and tender lymph nodes
  • itching
  • rash
  • fever
  • eye problems
  • Pain in your neck and back
  • Serious eye problems. Symptoms can include:
    • redness
    • bleeding
    • swelling
    • pain
    • loss of vision
  • Shortness of breath
  • Inability to control urination
  • Inability to control bowel movements
  • Trouble standing or walking
  • Confusion
  • Extreme tiredness
  • Extreme drowsiness
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Low blood pressure, especially when you get up after sitting or lying down. Symptoms can include:
    • lightheadedness
    • dizziness
    • fainting
  • Severe skin reactions. Symptoms can include:
    • severe rash
    • redness
    • blistering skin
    • peeling skin
  • Liver damage. Symptoms can include:
    • tiredness
    • nausea
    • vomiting
    • loss of appetite
    • pain on the right side of your stomach
    • dark urine
    • yellowing of your skin or the whites of your eyes

Just a typical day for me, that.

I love the way it lists minor ailments like itching, rash, fever, then coma.