You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

18 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Rogan also had monoclonal antibodies which could've been one of the main things that helped him recover. If you look that stuff up it's a lot more accepted as a potential treatment (also expensive though).

That's the annoying thing about this- you've got a very fit, 50-odd year old man who may or may not be vaccinated, was ill with Covid and took a shitload of stuff that most people won't get or be able to afford... and then recovered. And this is somehow morphed into 'that'll show the libs and 'experts'- fuck vaccines and take Ivermectin'. It's utterly bizarre.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

That treatment only has emergency FDA approval. Some would say that's not enough to prove safety and efficacy. Not me, but some would say that. 

I've no idea how much any of it works or not obviously, it seems a bit weird though that ivermectin has so much focus when the monoclonal stuff could've helped equally or even more.

43 minutes ago, Mudface said:

That's the annoying thing about this- you've got a very fit, 50-odd year old man who may or may not be vaccinated, was ill with Covid and took a shitload of stuff that most people won't get or be able to afford... and then recovered. And this is somehow morphed into 'that'll show the libs and 'experts'- fuck vaccines and take Ivermectin'. It's utterly bizarre.

Agreed that it's crazy, I'm sure if we were in Rogan's position with health and money we'd be a lot less concerned about covid and maybe that explains why so many of the rich/elites gather without masks or seeming to care at times too. A lot of them might not have the best health but they know the treatment they'd get if infected would be the best so their chances of getting through it are so much better.

It's coming lads:

President Biden will announce on Thursday new steps in his administration's COVID-19 response that involves testing, mandates, and school measures depending on a person's vaccination status, the White House said.

When asked if the new steps will affect Americans’ lives, Psaki said, “it depends on if you’re vaccinated or not.”

United Airlines told its staff on Wednesday that those who are granted religious exemptions from getting vaccinated against the coronavirus will be placed on a temporary unpaid leave.

Australian airline Qantas will require vaccines for all passengers on international flights within the coming months, its CEO confirmed on Wednesday.

“Qantas will have a policy that internationally we'll only be carrying vaccinated passengers,” CEO Alan Joyce said.

22 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

It's coming lads:

President Biden will announce on Thursday new steps in his administration's COVID-19 response that involves testing, mandates, and school measures depending on a person's vaccination status, the White House said.

When asked if the new steps will affect Americans’ lives, Psaki said, “it depends on if you’re vaccinated or not.”

Good.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

United Airlines told its staff on Wednesday that those who are granted religious exemptions from getting vaccinated against the coronavirus will be placed on a temporary unpaid leave.

Australian airline Qantas will require vaccines for all passengers on international flights within the coming months, its CEO confirmed on Wednesday.

“Qantas will have a policy that internationally we'll only be carrying vaccinated passengers,” CEO Alan Joyce said.

Not sure about this, certainly the unpaid bit. You can't fuck with someones religion even if it is a load of old horse-shit (waits for one of the colander heads to see horse-shit and start injecting it to cure covid) 

Very Few Religions Expressly Prohibit Vaccination, Yet Confusion Remains

November 9, 2018 Rene F. Najera

News outlets are reporting an increase in the cases of vaccine-preventable diseases – and some outbreaks – from Thailand and Indonesia due to religious concerns about vaccinations. In both countries, Muslim religious authorities have declared vaccines to be unacceptable since, according to them, vaccines contain pork-derived products. In Islam, consuming pork is forbidden.

Islam is not the only religion in the world that has come into friction with vaccine recommendations. Of the major religions practiced in the United States, only the Church of Christ, Scientist (whose adherents are known as "Christian Scientists") and the Dutch Reformed Church are the two religious groups that openly discourage vaccination. Islam in the United States, for the most part, has not opposed vaccination under the principle of necessity, meaning that vaccines are necessary for health, so they cannot be prohibited by religious law.

In 2017, Islamic leaders signed the Dakar Declaration on Vaccination, a document explaining the necessity for vaccination to protect children from infectious diseases and laying out religious jurisprudence regarding the use of vaccines. It basically boils down to the need for vaccines, the historical precedent for vaccination (e.g. variolation practiced in Turkey and introduced to England by Lady Montagu), and the responsibility of parents to do what is best for their children.

At the end of the day, this boils down to the age-old conflict between science and religion. Some religions, like the Catholic Church, have established very clear support for vaccination because the risks of not vaccinating outweigh the religious concerns of using them. Other religions are not very clear. Add to that the fact that vaccine science is difficult to explain to a lay audience, and you end up with very well-intentioned people who risk the health and well-being of themselves, their children or their community, by not vaccinating. While this may seem very confusing to non-religious people, the concerns of strict adherents to a religion are valid and should be addressed by public health and medical workers.

Perhaps a similar declaration in Southeast Asia like the Dakar Declaration (which was mainly concerned about Africa) would go a long way toward easing the concerns of communities in Thailand and Indonesia (and elsewhere in the region) when it comes to vaccines and religion.

My 13 year old niece has tested positive on her first day back in school. She has asthma so it's a slight concern at the moment. She was ok when I spoke to her last night about going to school today, so hopefully it's a mild bout. Her and her sister went to school together today so they've probably both shut down their classes...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

167 deaths registered today. If that holds, that'll be around 1000 per week. 

But, crack on everybody! 

Was just gonna say, is this "the new normal" now? A thousand people a week curling their toes? Do we have any data on the profile of these people yet? 

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

It's coming lads:

Communism. 

18 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

It’s just a number now that nobody gives a fuck about until it affects them personally. 

Yeah. I’m knocking on the head my concert scheduled for the 19th Sept.  Not worth the risk.

'Denmark’s high vaccination rate has enabled it to become one of the first EU countries to lift all domestic restrictions, after 548 days with curbs in place to limit the spread of Covid-19,

The return to normality has been gradual, but as of Friday, the digital pass – a proof of having been vaccinated – is no longer required when entering nightclubs, making it the last virus safeguard to fall.

More than 80% of people above the age of 12 in the Scandinavian country have had the two shots, leading the Danish government to declare as of midnight it no longer considers Covid-19 a “socially critical” disease.'

https://www.theguardian.com/weather/2021/sep/10/denmark-lifts-all-covid-restrictions-as-vaccinations-top-80-per-cent

I think once everyone who wants a vaccine has had one, whatever rates we're left with is the world we're going to have to live in. I don't see how more lockdowns or curbs are sustainable socially or economically. They made sense while trying to 'hold back the fire' while we developed countermeasures, but after that, they don't IMO. 

It's tragic when anyone gets ill or dies, and the coldness of that attitude is meant as no insult to anyone who's suffered as a result, but illness is something virtually generation before us has had to build their lives around. We're singularly lucky in that we haven't grown up in that type of world due to modern medicine, but I bet most of our grandparents had lost at least one sibling before they'd even reached adulthood, it was just the way the world was. 

Sadly, because of the way our society is now, even a pandemic has been weaponised against 'the other side'. Rather than solidarity in the face of adversity, it's been used as a stick to beat the bad guys with, as they too accuse you of being the bad guy.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

A Hawaiian resort is set to become the first in the state to require its employees and guests to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19.

Hotel company Highgate announced Wednesday that 'Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, in addition to several other properties, would require patrons, employees and guests to show they have been vaccinated amid a surge of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

A Hawaiian resort is set to become the first in the state to require its employees and guests to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19.

Hotel company Highgate announced Wednesday that 'Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, in addition to several other properties, would require patrons, employees and guests to show they have been vaccinated amid a surge of COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations

She sells T-cells on the seashore. 

• Upvote 1

And in this corner:

Wayland Bland, who was in the hospital for seven days last Fall, said he doesn't want the shot now.
"I ain't taking that shit," he told Reeve. "I don't like people trying to push a shot on me or something else because I'm just as bullheaded a fellow as you've ever seen."
When he was sick in the hospital he took steroids and other drugs like Regeneron, that helped former President Donald Trump recover from the virus. At the time, he said he would have taken anything.
But he won't take the vaccine now in part, he said, because he feels like Trump was shafted by the vaccine makers and government to lose the election.
"You shafted me out of my President. I ain't takin' your medicine," Bland said. Unaware that Trump has been vaccinated, Bland said he'll take what Trump got, but not the vaccine.
When Reeve pointed out Trump had been vaccinated, Bland said he didn't know all the facts, but "I ain't takin' it because I'm that bullheaded."