You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

14 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Aren't some countries and their experts advocating and proceeding with the vaccination of 12 to 15 year olds? 

I mean, if you want to pat yourself on the back for thinking in line with the UK experts on Covid, don't let us stop you. Because their record up to this point has been impeccable, hasn't it... 

Here for a start

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/dutch-vaccination-programme/vaccination-of-young-people-aged-12-to-17#:~:text=All young people aged 12,for people 12 and up.

I posted on here before about a close neighbour who had died from it, aged 55. Admittedly she'd had other problems but just learnt her surviving husband got it. He said rough as fuck for about a fortnight but OK now, thankfully (even if he is a Spurs seasie!). Said he would be chatting for 5 minutes and than all choked up. It really does knock the shit out of you.

Oh and yes, he was double vaxed.

Fucking hate Spurs me.

Edited by tokyojoe
  • Upvote 6

Has anyone been out lately and felt like it was rowdy as fuck? I thought it was just me being an old cunt but have heard a few people say the same about restaurants, pubs that hadn't previously been like that. Mrs said the same and said her friends have noticed it too, like a 'town after the grand national' vibe.

On 02/09/2021 at 16:28, Rico1304 said:

Weird that the number of suicides actually went down during lockdown. People must fucking hate work.  

I had the worst depressive episode I've ever had, which lasted for about 2 years leading up to lockdown. Progressively improved throughout and then it started getting bad again as lockdown was coming to end and has been starting to get really bad now as I approach a return to total normality. 

Lockdown was fucking ace as far as I am concerned. 

Not leaving the house unless it's totally necessary other than to go to my own premises or down to my mates who I do some work for, not having mouth breathing twats standing about 2 inches behind me and breathing on my neck in queues at the shops, not having to make excuses for not wanting to go out as everywhere is shut anyway, no time spent on public transport and being able to just concentrate on my own shit without anyone else interfering.

It's been bliss, plus also a quite amusing watching all of the "I've been prepping for lockdown my entire life" starting to lose their shit when it turns out they can't cope at all while I've breezed through it like a true misanthropic, anti-social, miserable bastard who actually likes being left alone. 

• Upvote 9

15 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Has anyone been out lately and felt like it was rowdy as fuck? I thought it was just me being an old cunt but have heard a few people say the same about restaurants, pubs that hadn't previously been like that. Mrs said the same and said her friends have noticed it too, like a 'town after the grand national' vibe.

It's stag and hen night season isn't it. I think town is always pretty horrible for about 5-6 months because of it. And they're are probably more than normal with weddings pushed back from last year and less people taking the stag do abroad. 

• Upvote 1

The detail would be for elsewhere but I suffer, like many, from anxiety. It’s definitely got worse as a result of the pandemic. I’ve started to struggle more and more in even the smallest crowds. 

It’s not catching the disease that triggers it, it’s simply being around people. I go out, I even went the the Test Match at Headingley the other week, but I certainly had some difficulties during the day that even shit loads of alcohol couldn’t appease.

I was trying to explain to someone what it’s like. Badly I think, as I could tell they didn’t really get it. An example I shared was leaving the local Co-op and as I stepped outside seeing only three or four people coming towards the door, from different parts of the smallish car park. I felt like the end of a space invaders game when you’re desperately trying to stay alive but they just keep on coming. Logically, of course I knew I wasn’t going to die but, in the moment, it didn’t feel that way. 

My professional life often involves standing in front of groups of people and presenting/facilitating/teaching.

As the demand for this kind of thing to be done face to face increases, so I know my difficulties will increase. I’m good at what I do, Clients give me good feedback and keep coming back for more. It worries me greatly, as I know it’s all a house of cards and I’m not sure how long I can keep up the act.

My mates have gone to the Magic Weekend in Newcastle. Ordinarily I wouldn’t have missed it, even though I’m not the biggest Rugby League fan. It’s mainly about the drinking which I usually am a big fan of. I declined though, just couldn’t face the train journey, the idea of crowded pubs and basically anything involving me not being alone in my room. 

Lockdown was a good for my health in the short term but I think it’s left me less resilient to the ‘real world’ as a result and any gains I had made have already been erased. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, YorkshireRed said:

The detail would be for elsewhere but I suffer, like many, from anxiety. It’s definitely got worse as a result of the pandemic. I’ve started to struggle more and more in even the smallest crowds. 

I'd never had much anxiety as such, although I put that down to the fact I've basically been self medicating with various things since my early teens.

However, in the couple of years pre lockdown I started having what I didn't know at the time were panic attacks. It's not something I think I've ever experienced before. Unless it has happened when I've been chemically altered and I've not realised it. 

On the way into Newcastle for Uni at least a couple of times when the Metro was absolutely rammed I had to get off and then walk the rest of the way as I was really getting messed up with it.

I find I need to totally extract myself from somewhere as rapidly as possible as I either need to go and hide somewhere for a cry, or that I start getting so anxious to be away from there that I just want to batter everyone in sight so I can get away. 

Tis not pleasant. 

Just now, Chairman Meow said:

I'd never had much anxiety as such, although I put that down to the fact I've basically been self medicating with various things since my early teens.

However, in the couple of years pre lockdown I started having what I didn't know at the time were panic attacks. It's not something I think I've ever experienced before. Unless it has happened when I've been chemically altered and I've not realised it. 

On the way into Newcastle for Uni at least a couple of times when the Metro was absolutely rammed I had to get off and then walk the rest of the way as I was really getting messed up with it.

I find I need totally extract myself from somewhere as rapidly as possible as I either need to go and hide somewhere for a cry, or that I start getting so anxious to be away from there that I just want to batter everyone in sight so I can get away. 

Tis not pleasant. 

Have you listened the Anxiety Guy podcast? That covers the type of stuff you are suffering from.

It's really good, just start from the first episode.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Chairman Meow said:

I find I need totally extract myself from somewhere as rapidly as possible as I either need to go and hide somewhere for a cry, or that I start getting so anxious to be away from there that I just want to batter everyone in sight so I can get away. 

Tis not pleasant. 

It certainly isn’t. Fucking horrible in fact when it takes hold. Self medication has basically been my primary coping strategy down the years. Sometimes prescribed, often medicinal substitutes. 

There’s things I know I can do to manage the situation though and I’ve been guilty lately of not doing them. 

I need to give myself a kindly kick up the arse.

Hope you find a way to manage. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I’m not really. I told her I was going earlier, she said “how long for?”. I said ten days. She said I better bring her something nice back. I hope she thinks CT is ‘nice’. 

Bring the neighbours though. Everybody needs good neighbours 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, YorkshireRed said:

It certainly isn’t. Fucking horrible in fact when it takes hold. Self medication has basically been my primary coping strategy down the years. Sometimes prescribed, often medicinal substitutes. 

There’s things I know I can do to manage the situation though and I’ve been guilty lately of not doing them. 

Do you do any meditation or breathing exercises? I've committed to doing them every day, more for obsessive thinking patterns than social anxiety but quieting the mind is the ultimate goal for most symptoms I imagine.

2 minutes ago, Elite said:

Do you do any meditation or breathing exercises? I've committed to doing them every day, more for obsessive thinking patterns than social anxiety but quieting the mind is the ultimate goal for most symptoms I imagine.

The best thing for me though has been exercise, primarily swimming. I need to get back in the pool and do a bit of mindfulness, or similar.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Elite said:

Have you listened the Anxiety Guy podcast? That covers the type of stuff you are suffering from.

It's really good, just start from the first episode.

I haven't but I'll give it a try.

I've been having mental health sessions with someone from the support side at the University which have been really good and other than the Maths department they are about the only good thing I've encountered since I started there. 

Certainly it's been a lot better than the people I was sent to through work in my mid or early 20's when they told me the answer to me wanting to kill myself was just to go back to work. 

17 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

The problem I always find is that what I probably need to do at those points is take a break and just let things slide for a short while. However, I do that and then start getting pissed off with myself for not getting things done. 

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Bring the neighbours though. Everybody needs good neighbours 

Having only recently seen the evidence of one of the neighbours due to having been in peasant mode on here for ages. Even I could possibly be tempted to Bruges if they are going.

12 minutes ago, Elite said:

Quieting the mind has always been a problem for me. 

The best way I've ever seen it articulated is by Doug Stanhope when he gets to talking about not being able to sleep sober. Had a proper "that's exactly what mind does" moment. Even with the shit he's saying about "you're almost 40 sort your shit out kind of stuff". 

I really need to get myself back exercising and just try to suck it up for the next year till I'm done with Uni. Then I can try and get myself back on an even keel again I hope. 

• Upvote 1