You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

13 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

My boy had his vaccine today. He’s only 17 so he’s only allowed one dose. Bizarre policy. 

My bird’s sister, her husband and their two kids went on a holiday to Devon last week and they’ve all come back and tested positive. They’re both double jabbed and so far their only symptoms are sore throats. 

Yeah I know loads of double jabbed who have tested positive, some with heavy symptoms but none hospitalised. I find this a bit confusing if I’m honest, am I correct in saying the vaccine isn’t actually a vaccine rather it’s a kind of pre treatment ?  I always thought a vaccine gave you immunity to a disease. 

Here’s my question, does hand washing and sanitising have any role in preventing coronavirus? I’ve decided it has none but am ready to be corrected.

Its transmitted by aerosol, hence the face covering and distancing measures, yeah?

16 minutes ago, Champ said:

Here’s my question, does hand washing and sanitising have any role in preventing coronavirus? I’ve decided it has none but am ready to be corrected.

Its transmitted by aerosol, hence the face covering and distancing measures, yeah?

I think it does help, but it's not as important as they initially thought. Still worth doing though, can't hurt.

32 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Yeah I know loads of double jabbed who have tested positive, some with heavy symptoms but none hospitalised. I find this a bit confusing if I’m honest, am I correct in saying the vaccine isn’t actually a vaccine rather it’s a kind of pre treatment ?  I always thought a vaccine gave you immunity to a disease. 

It doesn't give 100% protection, especially against the newer delta variant, so you can still get it after being fully vaccinated and be infectious. It's very good at preventing serious illness, hospitalisation or death though- with cases as high as they were earlier in the year, deaths were running at over 1000 a day, they're now down to 100 or so and most of those are apparently unvaccinated, so it's doing its job.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/react-study-shows-fully-vaccinated-are-three-times-less-likely-to-be-infected

• Upvote 2

Apologies if I have already posted this but I saw my mate who had the stroke caused by covid last week and it was tremendously bittersweet. I was delighted to see he was out of the hospital and his life isn't at risk no more but not being able to speak and being paralysed all down one side,blood clot in the leg and having to be cared for constantly is heartbreaking. He has come a long way from being at death's door but knowing how he liked to talk and going to the match was a big part of his life it was easy to see how he has been depressed and how it has been a mental battle too. His oldest son and his partner have been amazing in looking after him and deserve all the luck in the world. They hadn't even received any benefits until last week either after his stroke occurred around 8 months ago. Cunt of a disease.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

28 minutes ago, Champ said:

Oh great, the colander hat brigade will all be walking round stinking of BO now then. Well, they did anyway to be fair. 

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Apologies if I have already posted this but I saw my mate who had the stroke caused by covid last week and it was tremendously bittersweet. I was delighted to see he was out of the hospital and his life isn't at risk no more but not being able to speak and being paralysed all down one side,blood clot in the leg and having to be cared for constantly is heartbreaking. He has come a long way from being at death's door but knowing how he liked to talk and going to the match was a big part of his life it was easy to see how he has been depressed and how it has been a mental battle too. His oldest son and his partner have been amazing in looking after him and deserve all the luck in the world. They hadn't even received any benefits until last week either after his stroke occurred around 8 months ago. Cunt of a disease.

Heartbreaking that mate. 

25 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Jeez, that’s just horrific…for everyone involved. And there are still those out there who think it’s all made up

30 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Fuck, thats sad

31 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I think it does help, but it's not as important as they initially thought. Still worth doing though, can't hurt.

It doesn't give 100% protection, especially against the newer delta variant, so you can still get it after being fully vaccinated and be infectious. It's very good at preventing serious illness, hospitalisation or death though- with cases as high as they were earlier in the year, deaths were running at over 1000 a day, they're now down to 100 or so and most of those are apparently unvaccinated, so it's doing its job.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/react-study-shows-fully-vaccinated-are-three-times-less-likely-to-be-infected

For the avoidance of doubt, and to everyone I meet, I promise I always wash my hands after I’ve been to the loo (and quite regularly throughout the day) because I understand washing your hands prevents the spread of bacterial infection

50 minutes ago, Champ said:

You can pick up the virus from touching a surface where the airborn virus has lande so yeah it helps to wash and sanitise

Horrific when people lose their quality of life almost instantaneously. Hope he still can get some enjoyment from watching the match on TV etc.

My uncle had a stroke last year and his wife reports that he just wants to sit on the sofa all day as his speech is slurred and he also has weakness down one side.

15 minutes ago, Champ said:

Is this true, though?

Yes, but it's unlikely...

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00251-4

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/more/science-and-research/surface-transmission.html

Conclusion

People can be infected with SARS-CoV-2 through contact with surfaces. However, based on available epidemiological data and studies of environmental transmission factors, surface transmission is not the main route by which SARS-CoV-2 spreads, and the risk is considered to be low. The principal mode by which people are infected with SARS-CoV-2 is through exposure to respiratory droplets carrying infectious virus. In most situations, cleaning surfaces using soap or detergent, and not disinfecting, is enough to reduce risk. Disinfection is recommended in indoor community settings where there has been a suspected or confirmed case of COVID-19 within the last 24 hours. The risk of fomite transmission can be reduced by wearing masks consistently and correctly, practicing hand hygiene, cleaning, and taking other measures to maintain healthy facilities.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Mudface said:

That can't be true surely... we had anti-maskers on here telling us they make no difference. I don't know who to believe anymore 

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Yep, that’s my take on it too.

I was just outside chatting to a neighbour who works at a medical centre. She was strongly recommending doing regular lateral flow tests. I’d been coming to this point myself so will pick up some kits the next time I’m out

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Few vaccines provide total immunity. The majority of vaccines either prevent symptomatic disease and or severe disease but can't totally prevent infection or transmission. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

That can't be true surely... we had anti-maskers on here telling us they make no difference. I don't know who to believe anymore 

That's great news for Karen on Facebook who is looking for new people to trust her. 

2 hours ago, Champ said:

Yep, that’s my take on it too.

I was just outside chatting to a neighbour who works at a medical centre. She was strongly recommending doing regular lateral flow tests. I’d been coming to this point myself so will pick up some kits the next time I’m out

Stock up quickly because they’ll start charging for them soon.