You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

20 minutes ago, Iceman said:

"In sum, it's not possible to detect a rise in variants based on routine, individual COVID-19 tests. But scientists can use genomic sequencing on select specimens and then estimate the percentages of cases caused by each variant, and that is, in fact, what they're doing."

https://leadstories.com/hoax-alert/2021/07/fact-check-covid-19-variants-are-detected-through-genomic-sequencing-not-routine-'test-kits'.html

So they're estimating it. Interesting. 

Short of testing everyone in the country how else do you suggest they  do it?  

32 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Yeah he's clearly giving mixed messages. How could the data on masks change so drastically and then keep changing? No wonder people are confused. Now telling folks who are double jabbed to stay home and wear masks. Ridiculous. 

It's easy for some hack to splice together a video with non-chronological clips to make it seem like he's flip-flopping from one day to the next. The recommendations are changing and have done throughout. There's nothing wrong with him saying "the mask doesn't provide perfect protection." We know that. It's fine to say "there are other problems with people touching their faces." It's fine for him to say they don't need to wear masks when the virus is on the run and it's fine for him to recommend doing it again when there's been a resurgence. 

There's no country in the world, apart from maybe NZ, where the messaging and policy has been clear. For me it was a mistake for Fauci and Biden and the CDC to decree taking off the masks as a short term carrot to encourage vaccine uptake. That's the major mistake because there's no putting that genie back into the box. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

A bit, yeah. I didn't think I'd had it, but if I had been infected it would have been asymptomatic, which would have been nice. The email says within the last 6 months, so I guess I could have had it last year, but that's a bit of a stretch really.

I spotted that ‘last 6 months’ too

18 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

I don't get this thing about anti-vaxxers being far-right. There's anti-vaxxers on the far-left and far-right and I'm sure there's plenty inbetween too. It's maybe just that the far-right are the best at making a twat of themselves in the process and making the most noise.

The media is full of far right mouth jobs who make their money by getting publicity, its a two way street, ie Katie Hopkins who made her name pulling out of the apprentice hits the BBC news bulletins for deliberately getting herself kicked off some other reality show in Australia, she also got herself banished from S Africa if I remember rightly. Its what they do and theirs loads of them about, the media have created them.

49 minutes ago, Chris said:

It's easy for some hack to splice together a video with non-chronological clips to make it seem like he's flip-flopping from one day to the next. The recommendations are changing and have done throughout. There's nothing wrong with him saying "the mask doesn't provide perfect protection." We know that. It's fine to say "there are other problems with people touching their faces." It's fine for him to say they don't need to wear masks when the virus is on the run and it's fine for him to recommend doing it again when there's been a resurgence. 

There's no country in the world, apart from maybe NZ, where the messaging and policy has been clear. For me it was a mistake for Fauci and Biden and the CDC to decree taking off the masks as a short term carrot to encourage vaccine uptake. That's the major mistake because there's no putting that genie back into the box. 

I don't think reviewing previous statements makes the person 'a hack'. They are Fauci's words after all. You think he made mistakes telling people to take off the masks and he let the genie out of the bottle? I tend to agree. 

40 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I don't think reviewing previous statements makes the person 'a hack'. They are Fauci's words after all. You think he made mistakes telling people to take off the masks and he let the genie out of the bottle? I tend to agree. 

What makes them a hack is the selective editing and playing with chronology to make it look like he's changing tack on a day to day basis, rather than a fluid evolving stance that has changed as new shit has come to light, to quote The Big Lebowski. 

On 27/07/2021 at 17:14, Tony Moanero said:

Peter, Janet, Jack, Pam, Barbara, Colin, George. Proper gang of cunts, they are.

Hugh, Pugh, Barney, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub. 

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

This is a decent article trying to explain the mechanics of Long Covid and what could be done to improve recovery time. 

https://nkalex.medium.com/long-covid-dysfunction-not-damage-theory-and-treatment-concepts-853ae4e22f1a

Yup hopefully it is all recoverable as the article suggests and also that it is curable. Personally I believe it might be too early yet, we’re only a year and a half into this thing, to make any final analysis on how it might impact people say 10 or 20 years down the line. But hopefully it is correct and we just need to do more study of it to find out how to fully recover all patients that have it. 

49 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

It's like a summary of certain people in this thread- T-cells, herd immunity by last June, Sweden, lockdowns don't work, there'll be no second wave, excess deaths quoted out of context, and now vaccination as control (somehow) etc etc

Amazing how a public health crisis can be co-opted and politicised by bad actors and attract so many adherents to ever increasingly wild theories promoted by grifters.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

It's like a summary of certain people in this thread- T-cells, herd immunity by last June, Sweden, lockdowns don't work, there'll be no second wave, excess deaths quoted out of context, and now vaccination as control (somehow) etc etc

Amazing how a public health crisis can be co-opted and politicised by bad actors and attract so many adherents to ever increasingly wild theories promoted by grifters.

As soon as I saw the word crank thats pretty much what went through my head. 

3 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

I like how they threaten the non-vaxxed at the end of these. Getting a strong feeling that many vaxxed are secretly wishing the non-vaxxed will die. 

"There is no free ride this time. They alone will face the consequences of their actions."

Kind of goes against what he's trying to say though. The whole deal is that non-vaxxed are making vaxxed sick, no?