You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Spike protein is pretty much the same in the new variants, innit.

The mutations are in the Spike protein, so I've read?

"has an extra mutation in the spike protein of the SARS-CoV-2 virus"

https://theconversation.com/whats-the-delta-plus-variant-and-can-it-escape-vaccines-an-expert-explains-163644

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Spike protein is pretty much the same in the new variants, innit.

Ah it looks like they're working on it. Best hope no other variant emerges to take over the Delta spread or else it will be a wasted effort. Trials staring in August for it. 

image.png

https://www.ft.com/content/ae58b9c6-c115-41d8-b102-4e1815248701

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/pfizer-says-it-is-developing-a-covid-booster-shot-to-target-the-highly-transmissible-delta-variant.html

1 minute ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Ah it looks like they're working on it. Best hope no other variant emerges to take over the Delta spread or else it will be a wasted effort. Trials staring in August for it. 

Exactly the reason why letting it rip now is such a reckless gamble, aside from  the deaths and long covid of course. 

11 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

It's interesting how Wuhan lab is a theory now that Biden is in charge, but Fort Detrick is still a conspiracy theory. I wonder why that is?

The US of course, couldn't be as reckless as those stupid Chinese. Well maybe not unless you work your way through this anyway : Inside America's secretive biolabs

The Wuhan lab theory comes with the caveat that the yanks were funding a lot of it anyway. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The Wuhan lab theory comes with the caveat that the yanks were funding a lot of it anyway. 

I'd not be surprised if it turned out that they're both almost as exactly as bad as the other if we got the truth of it. Not that we're ever going to get the details or anything.

On 17/07/2021 at 13:17, Juniper said:

Missed our second jabs yesterday thanks to a lorry catching fire on the M4 (no one hurt) and us stuck on the motorway for nearly five hours in the heat. 

Now trying to get a walk in jab over the coming days. My mum sent us to a clinic earlier that was doing them, she didn’t check the dates and after arriving it turns out it was last weekend….

Pissed off with the whole thing is an understatement.

Finally got our second jabs at a walk in clinic earlier. No appointment needed, just turned up to the community centre. 

Without the forced 15minute wait after the jab I’d have been in and out within about ten minutes. Superb stuff and well organised from within and outside in the car park. 

Even bumped into one of my other oldest mates (she works for the NHS) temporary working there, so had a quick catch up while I was waiting to leave. 

Top stuff.  

• Upvote 3

I went for my haircut this morning. As I entered, I kept my mask on. Noticed that nobody else did, so asked my chopper if he’d prefer it if I keep it on. He said; “do what you want mate, everyone else does”. I think he was answering my question, not commenting on our fucked up society.

1 hour ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

image.png

https://www.ft.com/content/ae58b9c6-c115-41d8-b102-4e1815248701

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/08/pfizer-says-it-is-developing-a-covid-booster-shot-to-target-the-highly-transmissible-delta-variant.html

At least there aren't any nearby countries opening up during an increase in transmission that correspondingly increases the likelihood of a further vaccine-escaping mutation.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I went for my haircut this morning. As I entered, I kept my mask on. Noticed that nobody else did, so asked my chopper if he’d prefer it if I keep it on. He said; “do what you want mate, everyone else does”. I think he was answering my question, not commenting on our fucked up society.

Yeah went to Costa and everything is back to normal, furniture in its original places, I was the only one in a mask, asked the staff and they said they weren't arsed either way.

• Upvote 1

UCL are coming out and recommending booster vaccine jabs after blood samples show waning antibody levels in people after they've had the second jab. In some cases the antibody level had dropped by 50% in 10 weeks. 

The supermarket by mine has been about 80/20 in favour of continuing mask wearers. Went into the local newsagents earlier. About 10 people in there and I was the only one wearing a mask.