You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

25 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Not when you factor in the U18's.

That's a real slight of hand the government are playing.

Not really, I doubt there’s a single person in the uk that doesn’t know we haven’t offered under 18s the jab. 

So given that, then we all know the percentages mean those who are eligible. Give us a bit of credit.

13 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Zahawi having an absolute nightmare on Marr, being torn apart and not having any answers.

They really are fucking useless.

I was just reading this from the Guardian- https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/11/zahawi-covid-reopening-going-ahead-on-19-july-but-mask-wearing-expected

It's pathetic- confusing, weak bullshit pandering to the back bench libertarian dickheads who've politicised public health measures and because Johnson wants his stupid 'Freedom Day' but knows he's going to cause a catastrophe. They're going to fuck us all.

30 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I was just reading this from the Guardian- https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/11/zahawi-covid-reopening-going-ahead-on-19-july-but-mask-wearing-expected

It's pathetic- confusing, weak bullshit pandering to the back bench libertarian dickheads who've politicised public health measures and because Johnson wants his stupid 'Freedom Day' but knows he's going to cause a catastrophe. They're going to fuck us all.

Yeah, he was all over the place on that.

He also refused to say that Johnson has mislead parliament with his ‘The link between is severed’ lie which was truly uncomfortable.

Marr quite rightly saying that this needs to be clarified as it give the public the wrong message and hope where there isn’t much.

Nothing, just refused to say it was wrong and that dear leader had fluffed his lines.

Never apologise, never explain.

Shit show, again, but what else do you expect with a government in that clowns image.

This is making me angry now. What the fuck are we doing?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/09/im-an-ae-doctor-covid-patients-are-younger-this-time

I’m an A&E doctor. Covid patients are younger this time
NHS consultant predicts awful winter with Covid-denier patients, bed shortages and staffing issues
Anonymous doctor

“We’re once again seeing increasing numbers of Covid patients coming in through A&E. This is translating into admissions to critical care. Nearly half of the beds in our critical care unit are now dedicated to Covid-19 patients. The feeling on the ground is we’re very much at the start of the next wave and that it’s likely to be less of a tsunami, but more protracted.

The patients are younger this time. I’ve been looking after patients aged between 27 and 82 in critical care, but most are in their 30s, 40s and 50s. And the vast majority are either unvaccinated or have had one dose of the jab.

A few patients we are caring for still deny Covid exists, even as we strap oxygen masks to their faces. That is perplexing. Staff find that particularly hard and I think it will be an interesting and difficult part of this next phase. I wonder if we’ll be caring for a select group of patients who think the very disorder we’re treating them for is a sham. How do staff, who are so exhausted, navigate that?

In between previous waves the hospital returned Covid wards to normal wards and increased our elective operating programme. Sadly, we are seeing those wards being turned back into Covid wards again. Although we’ve not yet reduced our elective operations, I cannot see how we’ll cope as Covid admissions increase.

We’re back to planning an increase in critical care capacity and anticipate this will be required to manage the influx of Covid patients. We’re much more adept at pivoting back to Covid measures, having lived through this before. But a number of things are hampering us this time round. We have unprecedented numbers of A&E attendances, with waits in excess of 10 hours. So overall demand has increased massively. The hospital is full, similar to entering a bad winter, so turning wards into Covid wards isn’t easy. There just aren’t enough beds.

Staffing is a perfect storm. Staff are absolutely, genuinely exhausted. After more than a year of Covid, resilience is very low. Covid isolation alerts and school quarantines for staff’s children mean that huge number of colleagues are being required to isolate, leaving those behind picking up more and more shifts in order to run a safe service. It’s a huge testament to the staff that we still have people coming forward, often at the detriment of their own wellbeing, to fill gaps over and over again.

In addition, numerous staff are off sick with physical and mental health problems as a direct result of the pandemic. And large numbers of staff are leaving in the knowledge that even if Covid waves cease, there is a huge amount of pressure to proceed at pace through the backlog of cases, with no respite.

How do I feel about the growing number of infections and what’s coming down the track for hospitals? There has been a huge amount of pride that the NHS has been central to the vaccination programme and that generates hope. Hope that we wouldn’t see the same scenes again – of patients struggling for air and saying goodbye to loved ones via video message.

In some ways, even though we suspected an exit wave would occur, this time round is almost more difficult. Because we had hope, and to some extent that’s been dashed. And at heart we feel that for the majority of the people we’re seeing admitted, this was avoidable.
Unlocking? NHS staff are humans too and we desperately want society to get back to normal. But it seems almost unfathomable that as Covid infections are rising that the last few lines of defence are being torn away. The most bizarre decision is the mask mandate. It seems almost wholly political. And it’s clear already that mask-wearing is going to become a political statement. That’s totally unnecessary. Masks can protect those around you. They don’t prevent businesses from opening, nor do they hamper the economy. So why ditch the mask mandate? I can’t think of a single good explanation.

One key aspect of the current policy has not been discussed at all. The vaccine appears to have broken the link between infections and deaths, which is fantastic. But there are 5.3 million people with non-Covid related diseases waiting for treatment. If Covid infections are left to run rampant, with no policy measures to slow them down, how on earth is the NHS going to address the backlog?

The first thing that will suffer is non-urgent operations. We can’t turn away people needing emergency surgery, so we have to have the beds for them. Elective surgery requires critical care capacity, so when something has to give it is inevitably going to be that. That’s devastating, given the backlog of people waiting for treatment.

As infections rise, so too will admissions. As the hospital beds fill up with Covid patients, we will have to stop other work. There seems to be no planning for this whatsoever. It’s all very well for Sajid Javid to say we need to learn to live with the virus and we need to think about other diseases. But until the government understands that a virus running rampant and filling hospital beds means that other works can’t go on, we’ve got a real problem.

The NHS is going to be facing a war on many fronts over the next weeks and months. A&E attendances aren’t going to slow down because of people with health issues who have not had access to the right care. We are going to face a slower, more insidious but less relenting influx of Covid patients, hampered in the extreme by staff shortages and illness. Paediatricians are expecting an epidemic of viral conditions in children this autumn, which will mean an extra degree of pressure on services.

The real concern is that, without any real suppression methods, and with the opening up, this next wave means there will be no respite before what is likely to be an horrendous winter, when staff will be on our knees physically and emotionally.”

Just had a call from the school, the eldest was on a school trip on Friday, both classes from Yr6 went and there have been two positive cases over the weekend. 

The whole of Yr6 now have to self isolate for 10 days.   

We’ve all done LFT’s and are all negative with no symptoms. 

As far as we can tell the youngest can still go to school and they can both go back and forth between us and their dads. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Another press conference descending into almost incoherent rambling.

Fucking joke. 

To be fair, it must be really difficult to coherently explain why you're going to stop mandating public health rules on Freedom Day but still expect people to largely follow them.

Had the dreaded email and text asking me to isolate. Filled in the questionnaire and it’s saying it’s only till Wednesday so I’ve potentially spread it to loved ones if I’ve got it who will then all have to isolate.  Great. Got the test getting sent out and sure enough I’ve started to feel like shit today. 

19 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Had the dreaded email and text asking me to isolate. Filled in the questionnaire and it’s saying it’s only till Wednesday so I’ve potentially spread it to loved ones if I’ve got it who will then all have to isolate.  Great. Got the test getting sent out and sure enough I’ve started to feel like shit today. 

Fucks sake. You've had Covid before haven't you, and jabbed?

6 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Fucks sake. You've had Covid before haven't you, and jabbed?

Yep mate, had it last October and had both jabs. I might not have it at all but I feel like I've had the shit kicked out of my sides and upper legs. Same as when I came down with it. I'll know at 2am if I wake up freezing and the bed soaked in sweat. 

I remember the 'experts' saying on here you can't catch it twice last year. 

Just now, Bjornebye said:

Yep had it last October and had both jabs. I might not have it at all but I feel like I've had the shit kicked out of my sides and upper legs. Same as when I came down with it. I'll know at 2am if I wake up freezing and the bed soaked in sweat. 

Fingers crossed mate.

We thought my 2 year old Granddaughter had it as she had all the childhood symptoms. Thankfully the test came back negative.

22 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Just breaking that the Johnson & Johnson vaccine can cause an increased risk of that mad thing that put Markus Babbel in a wheelchair. 

Does it also increase the risk of waking up to find Chris De Burgh incantating at the end of your hospital bed?

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep mate, had it last October and had both jabs. I might not have it at all but I feel like I've had the shit kicked out of my sides and upper legs. Same as when I came down with it. I'll know at 2am if I wake up freezing and the bed soaked in sweat. 

Hope it’s a cold and nothing more.