You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

My youngest tested positive on an LFT and we're waiting for her PCR result so thats us isolating until tomorrow at least.

4 out of 7 year groups in her primary school are all isolating at present, and 2 out of 5 year groups in my elder daughters secondary school are isolating too!

But you know, freedom day and all that! The mind boggles!

Isolation is shit, really shit. We've done it at Chrimbo and a fortnight ago. In some ways it would have been easier if we'd all tested positive but it didn't go that way either time.

Do the right thing tho', and look after each other.

X

• Upvote 1

Why do the ones who lie about statistics and pretend this virus isn’t as bad as it is never really post or engage when they are proven to be chatting absolute shite? Not big enough that’s why. 

Or too big and not man enough or a weird bo stinker who knows eh? 

5 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Why do the ones who lie about statistics and pretend this virus isn’t as bad as it is never really post or engage when they are proven to be chatting absolute shite? Not big enough that’s why. 

Or too big and not man enough or a weird bo stinker who knows eh? 

Ive seen it up close its bad. Lost a couple of friends to it both in their early 50's. People saying its not bad have no fuckin idea.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well we don't know it's man made. And to be honest at this point it doesn't matter if it's man made it not. And it would seem to me if we are heading into the unknown it might be helpful for our plan to consist more then just   the same as it's been at every critical point so far "don't worry, it'll be fine". We had that going into the 1st wave. We had it last summer. We had it when it exploded last autumn after the kids went to school and uni, we had it over the Christmas mess and here we are now and it seems we're not alone in just ripping it all up in the hope it'll be alright.

IMO, it was a natural virus that was tinkered with in a lab, but its a moot point. I think the biggest mistake the UK can make is to lift restrictions. They need to push on with the vaccine roll out and then re visit plans.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Stouffer said:

Isolation is shit, really shit. We've done it at Chrimbo and a fortnight ago. In some ways it would have been easier if we'd all tested positive but it didn't go that way either time.

Do the right thing tho', and look after each other.

X

Cheers mate, we had to isolate in March last year so it's not our first rodeo. Hopefully the PCR is negative and we can see where we stand then. I'll just have to wait until all is quiet and take the dog out for a little walk (with my mask on), I can't keep her in and she's not one of those dogs you can just let run on her own.

Happy days!

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

IMO, it was a natural virus that was tinkered with in a lab, but its a moot point. I think the biggest mistake the UK can make is to lift restrictions. They need to push on with the vaccine roll out and then re visit plans.

That is probably the second most likely cause, however there's no evidence for it.  Most likely is it came from animals they just haven't tracked down the exact animal yet - but that's not unusual.

Here's 19 pages of a review on the origins from some eminent scientists that came out yesterday if you can be bothered:

https://zenodo.org/record/5075888#.YOaUHOgzYuX

OR, the pertinent last paragraph of the summary:

We contend that there is substantial body of scientific evidence supporting a zoonotic origin for

SARS-CoV-2. While the possibility of a laboratory accident cannot be entirely dismissed, and

may be near impossible to falsify, this conduit for emergence is highly unlikely relative to the

numerous and repeated human-animal contacts that occur routinely in the wildlife trade.

Failure to comprehensively investigate the zoonotic origin through collaborative and carefully

coordinated studies would leave the world vulnerable to future pandemics arising from the same

human activities that have repeatedly put us on a collision course with novel viruses.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

That is probably the second most likely cause, however there's no evidence for it.  Most likely is it came from animals they just haven't tracked down the exact animal yet - but that's not unusual.

Here's 19 pages of a review on the origins from some eminent scientists that came out yesterday if you can be bothered:

We contend that there is substantial body of scientific evidence supporting a zoonotic origin for

SARS-CoV-2. While the possibility of a laboratory accident cannot be entirely dismissed, and

may be near impossible to falsify, this conduit for emergence is highly unlikely relative to the

numerous and repeated human-animal contacts that occur routinely in the wildlife trade.

Failure to comprehensively investigate the zoonotic origin through collaborative and carefully

coordinated studies would leave the world vulnerable to future pandemics arising from the same

human activities that have repeatedly put us on a collision course with novel viruses.

We don’t let a little thing like evidence get in the way of a good story.  

39 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Clearly we're just going to live with long covid and absolutely anything else that might happen as long as the NHS stays afloat. So the idea that 100k per day may be heading our way with the inevitable mutations that will bring, will just be accepted until it beats the vaccine. They have no intention or will to control the virus, their only concern is management of the adverse effect social media posts of a collapsing NHS would have on their reelection chances. 

10 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Had 2nd jab last night. Feel OK so far anyone had any Side effects with it? First one left me feeling a bit knackered for 3 days, not ill but defo not 100%

Which you had?

I had the Pfizer and apart from a bit of tiredness after both I was fine.

I know it’s their own fault for being so fucking stupid but it’s hard not to feel a bit of sympathy for people who have been conned by the bellends spreading shit online. 

£42,000 fine or prison and they’re quoting the Magna Carta. Morons. 

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/plymouth-finla-coffee-owners-could-5621192

5 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

I know it’s their own fault for being so fucking stupid but it’s hard not to feel a bit of sympathy for people who have been conned by the bellends spreading shit online. 

£42,000 fine or prison and they’re quoting the Magna Carta. Morons. 

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/plymouth-finla-coffee-owners-could-5621192

Some of these people are going to end up being the ultimate cautionary tale aren’t they. Tomorrow’s compo face articles.

• Upvote 1

Well this is one way to get case numbers down I suppose. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/covid-lateral-flow-test-charged-b1879797.html

People could be charged for lateral flow tests from next month, under plans being considered by the government.

The tests are only guaranteed to be free until the end of July, the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has revealed.

“A statement will be forthcoming about whether or not it will be extended beyond that,” a spokesperson told The Independent.

Labour immediately condemned the looming rethink, saying it “beggars belief” with a third Covid wave underway and infections set to surge in the weeks to come.

The potential U-turn comes just three months after the launch of a high-profile campaign urging everybody to test themselves twice a week, under the headline ‘Next Step Safely’.

Lateral flow tests were made available from workplaces and places in the community “to encourage a new testing habit” for anyone without Covid symptoms

“Anyone can now access free, rapid lateral flow tests for themselves and their families to use twice a week,” a government announcement read.

Jonathan Ashworth, Labour’s shadow health secretary, said: “Sajid Javid’s policy of allowing infections to rise as high as 100,000 a day will see hundreds of thousands forced into self-quarantine.

“In that context, access to lateral flow tests will be vital. It beggars belief that the health secretary is introducing charging for testing. We should be making it easier to access to testing not harder.”

But a DHSC spokesperson said: “The government has confirmed that lateral flow tests will be free until the end of July”, confirming the guarantee ends this month.

The government has previously suggested that companies could be expected to foot the bill for testing their staff, but it is the first time that charges for individuals have been suggested.

More than £4bn of taxpayers’ cash was spent on lateral flow tests up until the end of March, as the chancellor Rishi Sunakhunts for savings to plug the gaping black hole in his finances.

Just 14 per cent of the 691 million tests sent out by the end of May were registered, the National Audit Officerevealed – with the test-and-trace system in the dark about whether the rest were used.

On Monday, Mr Javid, the new health secretary, admitted new daily cases could soar to 100,000 after remaining Covid restrictions are removed – while one expert warned of a possible 200,000.

Boris Johnson did not dispute that millions of people could be forced to isolate in the weeks to come, as infections mushroom.

The April campaign announced that twice-weekly tests would be available from workplaces, schools, pharmacies, libraries and community centres.

“Regular testing is an essential part of the easing of restrictions, helping identify variants and stopping individual cases from becoming outbreaks,” it read.

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

I believe the virus was present in bats but not in its current version. The fact that it can be traced back to lab employees accidently being infected ,for me , indicates the possibility that the original virus was being worked on in the lab. The lack of early action on the part of the WHO means we might never know the truth.

1 hour ago, littletedwest said:

Had 2nd jab last night. Feel OK so far anyone had any Side effects with it? First one left me feeling a bit knackered for 3 days, not ill but defo not 100%

I didn’t experience any side effects after the second. AZ vaccine.

18 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

I believe the virus was present in bats but not in its current version. The fact that it can be traced back to lab employees accidently being infected ,for me , indicates the possibility that the original virus was being worked on in the lab. The lack of early action on the part of the WHO means we might never know the truth.

It can’t be traced back to lab employees being infected though. There’s no evidence for that.

We’ll never know the truth though agreed, due to China and US politicking.

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

We don’t let a little thing like evidence get in the way of a good story.  

If 4 million deaths in 18 months isn’t enough evidence for some mate then evidence just isn’t relevant anymore 

• Upvote 1