You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

19 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Was just going to post this. It's a point that is often raised in response to people who bemoaned Covid being prioritised and restrictions being imposed - that loosening restrictions would likely lead to hospitals being overran with Covid cases and wouldn't be able/would struggle to cope - but they never seem to want to respond to or deal with that reality which we're seeing playing out here. 

Yes, it’s one of the most disingenuous things people say with regards to lifting restrictions; that it will somehow enable more people to receive the treatment they need from hospitals. Seems pretty obvious the opposite will be true. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's policy, not geography, that kept NZ safe.

So the whole "we're an island, it should be easy to close up shop" theory is untrue?

16 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Someone had to actually write an article "Mobile Phone Cancellations are not Proof of Death".

Great days.

Do you really think that the deaths in China are not underreported?

Or that they have been cooperative/transparent about the beginning/cause of this global crisis?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yes, it’s one of the most disingenuous things people say with regards to lifting restrictions; that it will somehow enable more people to receive the treatment they need from hospitals. Seems pretty obvious the opposite will be true. 

I think Johnson will backtrack.  The anger and fear is going to build and build over the next week. 

51 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

So the whole "we're an island, it should be easy to close up shop" theory is untrue?

Or that they have been cooperative/transparent about the beginning/cause of this global crisis?

I think there is a lot of whoosh here…

I don't think China has the ability to hide 21m deaths. I'm cynical by nature but I largely take China at face value where numbers are concerned. They caged people into their homes, they had the experience, ruthlessness and obedience from the population to suppress this thing in the manner they claimed.

4 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Singapore have said they are going to treat covid as if its the flu. I think a large portion of their population have been vaccinated.

Yeah, but they're not doing that because it's become the flu, they're doing it because they're chasing economically. 

3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

I seen this video on Twitter the other day that the Singapore government are using. 

Looking forward to the UK version with Gove, Alan Sugar and Tim Martin selling it. 

Sadly I am not on twitter and it seems to be one of those links you need to be in the gang to use. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, but they're not doing that because it's become the flu, they're doing it because they're chasing economically. 

Sadly I am not on twitter and it seems to be one of those links you need to be in the gang to use. 

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's policy, not geography, that kept NZ safe.

You think that policy would have been realistic if NZ was situated between Belgium and Netherlands? Or if Australia and Indonesia were overun like Western Europe was, that NZ wouldn't fare the same?

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, but they're not doing that because it's become the flu, they're doing it because they're chasing economically

Agree with that but I believe ,or should I say hope, it will end up being like a flu virus.

53 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Looks like the sudden change in cavalier attitude by the government isn’t just down to a change of health secretary. 

This story will gain traction.  The 1922 committee being the shadowy puppeteers until now but it's Johnson's legacy at stake, there won't be a fucking after dinner circuit for him when he's blamed for massive loss of life, and kids on ventilators.  

4 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Agree with that but I believe ,or should I say hope, it will end up being like a flu virus.

Well we all hope that. And now we have the vaccine we do need to work out how to get on with it. But it's quite a change for a country that has so far traced every case. It was obvious it was going to happen here, because our government never gave a fuck in the 1st place, they just didn't want bad pictures of people dying in corridors in hospitals. There's a lot of faith in the vaccine is a silver bullet and it seems to me without any thought of how we deal with mass transmission and if nothing else, the environment for new variants that will create. 

6 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Well we all hope that. And now we have the vaccine we do need to work out how to get on with it. But it's quite a change for a country that has so far traced every case. It was obvious it was going to happen here, because our government never gave a fuck in the 1st place, they just didn't want bad pictures of people dying in corridors in hospitals. There's a lot of faith in the vaccine is a silver bullet and it seems to me without any thought of how we deal with mass transmission and if nothing else, the environment for new variants that will create. 

Thing is this virus type has not been seen before. Its fuckin shameful as its man made and it appears to mutate so quickly which makes it even harder to get a handle on.

30 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

This story will gain traction.  The 1922 committee being the shadowy puppeteers until now but it's Johnson's legacy at stake, there won't be a fucking after dinner circuit for him when he's blamed for massive loss of life, and kids on ventilators.  

Tony Blair did ok 

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

You think that policy would have been realistic...if Australia and Indonesia were overun like Western Europe was, that NZ wouldn't fare the same?

Realistic? Certainly them being an island helps but irrespective of what was happening in Australia and Indonesia, NZ could and would have always closed it's own borders. 

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

The suggestion was that NZ was somehow safe because it's so much further from the origin of the pandemic than the UK.  Obviously, both countries are island nations; one chose to control its borders, the other chose not to.  Policy decisions, you see.

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

They may well be underreported.  I don't think any serious people claim that the actual figure is in the millions  (as it would have to be to compare to the UK's disastrous fuck up).

2 hours ago, SasaS said:

You think that policy would have been realistic if NZ was situated between Belgium and Netherlands? Or if Australia and Indonesia were overun like Western Europe was, that NZ wouldn't fare the same?

If NZ was an island state off the coast of Europe, yes, it would have been realistic. 

Was in the pharmacy yesterday and an old girl was asking for LFTs and told they had none.

In work today and there's apprentices off left right and centre. Got more people isolating now than at any point during the whole pandemic.

Remove restrictions and remove controls and let's just get it on eh, yeah cheers.

1 hour ago, CapeRed said:

Thing is this virus type has not been seen before. Its fuckin shameful as its man made and it appears to mutate so quickly which makes it even harder to get a handle on.

Well we don't know it's man made. And to be honest at this point it doesn't matter if it's man made it not. And it would seem to me if we are heading into the unknown it might be helpful for our plan to consist more then just   the same as it's been at every critical point so far "don't worry, it'll be fine". We had that going into the 1st wave. We had it last summer. We had it when it exploded last autumn after the kids went to school and uni, we had it over the Christmas mess and here we are now and it seems we're not alone in just ripping it all up in the hope it'll be alright.

22 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Don't think Johnson will be welcome in the Groucho, like Blair probably isn't.  

That’s all well and good but Blair has made something like £25m since he left politics. I think that’s focused

his mind.  Being able to buy the Groucho may make his lack of a welcome less annoying. 

Edit : his personal wealth is allegedly £70m 

My youngest tested positive on an LFT and we're waiting for her PCR result so thats us isolating until tomorrow at least.

4 out of 7 year groups in her primary school are all isolating at present, and 2 out of 5 year groups in my elder daughters secondary school are isolating too!

But you know, freedom day and all that! The mind boggles!

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That’s all well and good but Blair has made something like £25m since he left politics. I think that’s focused

his mind.  Being able to buy the Groucho may make his lack of a welcome less annoying. 

Edit : his personal wealth is allegedly £70m 

I'm sure Johnson loves money, but he's on course to make Blair look good.