You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

39 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Mate cancer is killing people. Do you know the amount of people who haven't been diagnosed early enough who are dying? Do you know its nearly impossible to get a Doctors appointment in person for a check up? I haven't been able to go and see my Doctor, I should be getting regular check ups at my age. My sister was lucky. Shes a nurse in the Royal, and only, ONLY for her getting checked out inside the hospital did they catch the cancer on her eye. If she wasn't a nurse, goodness knows what would have happened.

My mum has been mis diagnosed several times this year because you can't do fuck all over a phone or a video chat and has heart and lung problems.

There is no winners in this. You try and stop Covid at the expense of everything else. At least that what it seems to me.

Hospitals and clinics can - and do - still provide effective services while people are required to wear masks indoors and to keep 2 metres from each other. 

15 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Remember when Valance said '20,000' would be a good outcome'?

With the projections they are making today it looks like another 15,000 best case scenario.

This is now gross negligence at best.

But Boris is doing his best. The newspapers said so.

21 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

With the projections they are making today it looks like another 15,000 best case scenario.

By toeing the government line and not publicly stating that they don't agree with the dickheads plans about scrapping social distancing and mask wearing rules, Vallance and Whitty are complicit in the possible deaths of thousands more people when it's their job to protect public health.

Holding their counsel is a dereliction of duty to the people they're meant to serve.

7 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

And they say there will be 500,000 cases before we open up on July 19th and quote a Tory MP as saying they’re going for herd immunity by infection. 

FF8FBA82-AE17-4959-935E-0AD8C4CD2DCF.png

6912B5A0-4C35-411C-8A26-BD4A47D866FE.png

A couple of days ago they also had a source say that post 19th there will be no daily updates on infection, hospitaisations and deaths.

They're effectively washing their hands of it and hoping for the best.

Johnson says this "isn't the moment to go demob happy or feel this is the end of COVID"

The cunt called it fucking Freedom Day.

What was the benefit of stopping mandatory use of masks in shops and public transport? It only has a downside. Stupid fucking cunts.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

did you not think last night was just an "fuck it, i can't be bothered with all this now" type of statement? basically he's run out of patience and is just making a roulette gamble the vaccine will keep the hospitals from going under, which I maintain has been the ONLY objective of this whole process. Lives never mattered - if this was something that just killed us where we stood without a trip to the hospital, we'd have carried on as normal. 

3 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

According to Politico, these are the four options Johnson rejected:

1317A6B3-BC18-4141-9424-A212E67EF6E2.png

Commence Operation Herd Immunity. 

• Upvote 2

Got told today that there's an "expectation" that we all go back into the office from "freedom day" (actual words). 

700 people in our building over 13 floors.

I'm sure everything will be fine. Because the virus will have gone in *checks calendar* 13 days. 

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Got told today that there's an "expectation" that we all go back into the office from "freedom day" (actual words). 

I'm sure everything will be fine. Because the virus will have gone in *checks calendar* 13 days. 

Give it a further 13 days and half of them will be back at home, isolating.

1 hour ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Brazil fucking hate Bolsanaro after his herd immunity gamble.  This is a massive risk for Tory rule. A huge mental health crisis is now looming as a result of yesterday.  If you think people were fiercely divided on Brexit, you ain't seen nothing yet.  

It's tragic that everything gets dragged into a culture war now to line people's pockets and further their own agendas, and Covid is no different.

One of the most damaging things for mental health isn't just the virus itself and the fallout, but the fact it's been virtually impossible for a long time to judge what is happening accurately, and why.

Even now you get the same hysterics on both sides. One side talking about freedom and oppression, the other bemoaning the selfish hordes all around us.

You know which media commentators are going to say what when cases go up or down, depending on their camp.

Everything is all or nothing, so people will, for instance, bemoan school bubbles being disbanded but offer no solutions to the academic and mental health impact of being in them. They'll bemoan the 'selfish cunts' going to the pub but offer no solutions about how the wages and mortgages of staff and owners are going to be paid. 

Everything is a stick to beat the opponsent with, and it's this - arguably more than the lockdowns themselves, that drive most ordinary folk to despair.

People could cope in the war because they were all on the same side, backs to the wall. If it was now, you'd get people being abused on Twitter for letting their kids be evacuated, Julie Hartley Brewer calling for peace with Hitler, and Owen Jones bemoaning Field Marshall Montgomery's record on transgender rights.

I wish I could just build an ark, put everyone on it who's fucking had enough, set sail and watch the fucking place sink.

• Upvote 5

86% of Adults have had their first dose, 64.3% have had both doses, so I can understand why the reopening of all areas should go ahead on the 19th.  I don't understand why they couldn't leave masks in shops/public transport though for at least another 6 months? 

It does seem like the vaccines are working, and cases no longer translate in to the same level of hospitalisations and deaths? as long as this continues to be the case, then we do need to try and move forward with this. 

I think I'm right in saying that the UK have had restrictions in place longer than anywhere in the world and whilst I have been able to cope pretty well with it, I've seen friends and family members really suffer, physically and mentally. 

Interestingly Johnson didn't mention anything about the easing being irreversible in that latest update, so I get the feeling we haven't seen the last of lockdowns.  

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I don't understand why they couldn't leave masks in shops/public transport though for at least another 6 months? 

See below. They want everyone back in offices and if they're saying you need masks in places like public transport, then we're saying you need them in work. If you're saying you need them in work, you're suggesting the working environment isn't safe. So don't join those dots up, get behind the vaccine and spin that roulette wheel and hope the vaccine wins and in the mean time pretend everything is ok for the sake of "freedom". 

2 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Using the lifts in that environment is a frightening idea. 

2 hours ago, Anubis said:

Give it a further 13 days and half of them will be back at home, isolating.

I've been in and out of London regularly since the last "opening* as people are drifting back to their office. Over the last couple of weeks, I know so many people who have either got the virus or need to isolate - and we're all mostly meeting outdoors to minimise the risk and spread. I spoke to a fella on a call today who runs a sales team of about a dozen people and they had a great 1st half to the year, so he was giving everyone the afternoon to go out for a meal and a drink on the company to celebrate. Him and one other guy were the only ones who didn't have covid or weren't in self isolation. If people don't want to go to the office for at least the 1st month while the isolation rules are still in place, go in and make sure you're running the covid app. You'll be wiped out and isolating in a week. 

Or optionally, put 2 drops of blackcurrant fruit shoot onto a LFT. 

• Upvote 2