You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think if the last year and a half has taught us anything, it's that most of the abuse will be directed at those who choose not to wear a face covering.

Well I disagree, most people wearing a mask this time in crowded areas etc will be responsible people. As there will be no legal requirement then a lot of people will not, so the minority will be masked and more likely to face abuse. 

I don't know about last year but if it was a legal requirement to wear a mask while thousand were dying last year then I can see why maskless twats got abuse. 

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think if the last year and a half has taught us anything, it's that most of the politely challenging people as to why they won't subject themselves to a short period of discomfort to try and protect the health and wellbeing of others (which I'll instead class as "abuse" because I'm a bad sweat) will be directed at those who choose not to wear a face covering.

Fixed. 

2 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

I feel a real sense of doom over this news, even though I knew it was coming.

Not totally sure why but I’m not as excited about my new ‘freedoms’ as I’m being told I should be. 

It does have a bit of a "Covid Christmas" vibe about it. Which, with hindsight, we know equals a few weeks of easing restrictions, followed by a realisation that they got things wrong and then longer, harsher restrictions being introduced. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think if the last year and a half has taught us anything, it's that most of the abuse will be directed at those who choose not to wear a face covering.

Have you worn a mask near a pub where people are getting pissed without masks on, taking the piss out of people that do? 

Or are you one of the people in the pub getting pissed? 

9 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Not totally sure why but I’m not as excited about my new ‘freedoms’ as I’m being told I should be. 

This is exactly what was intended. Fear makes it easy to control and manipulate people.

• Downvote 1

Psychologically they have completely spaffed this.

The country is not a country of right-wing backbenchers laughing and cheering about this, the echo-chamber of the commons is not representative of the country at large, as the two recent by-elections have shown.  

You can't keep collecting data on Covid cases and deaths while also telling people not to care about getting it.  

How on earth will Test and Trace work now?  It won't.  It barely works now, but it's just pointless now.  

I mean, what has just happened?  Are we seriously saying that double-jabbed people under the age of 70 are now at the same risk of harm from Covid as they are from the flu? If so, I'll take that.  But I don't see that data, can someone point me to it? 

5 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

and that is exactly what they're trying to give us here. instead of a health secretary who has kept us locked up for 12 months and gave deals to his mates, he's gone and has been replaced by someone who instead of "looking at the science" is instead "taking into consideration your overall health, not just covid health like those before him". it's a play to that audience - don't be protesting about lockdowns (half a million i believe on the last one), we'll save you from the evil science and london elite who want you locked up forever. 

We clearly have very different ideas about how attractive libertarianism as a concept is to the average voter, even the average Brexit supporter, and how attractive in particular a libertarian Health Secretary would be to these people, so there's little point in going over the same ground, especially as we're veering off-topic.

To get back on topic, I'll just leave this here, a poll conducted by Yougov showing the great majority of people want some restrictions kept - the same restrictions that our new Health Secretary wants rid off.

The kids problem is a big one. If you chose not to vaccinate kids, you are basically saying it is fine if they get it, it is most of the time not bad for them, etc... But the problem is that it is so contagious, and might continue to become even moreso, that kids will still have to be off school all the time when they get it and the in-class learning will continue to be stop-start because you will have so many kids getting Covid. It is an impossible situation. 

26 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Exactly . Hard to get excited when thousands of extra people are going to get very ill as a result of Tory politics.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

The kids problem is a big one. If you chose not to vaccinate kids, you are basically saying it is fine if they get it, it is most of the time not bad for them, etc... But the problem is that it is so contagious, and might continue to become even moreso, that kids will still have to be off school all the time when they get it and the in-class learning will continue to be stop-start because you will have so many kids getting Covid. It is an impossible situation. 

Its also an un-vaccinated social group which will offer a chance for further mutations to evolve

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

I hope they go ahead with the plan that only the kid with it goes home and the others monitored via testing. That way you’d hope in the vast majority of cases the kid would only get it once and their schooling only interrupted the once as well. Can’t carry on like they are now with whole classes or year groups having to go off. 

Pinch points:

• When people's immune systems are compromised by colds or flu, then come into contact with covid this winter. 
  • People in hospital post-op will also likely catch covid in hospital (not private hospitals, for the rich)
  • Nursing homes will once more become vectors of massive deaths (not nursing homes for the rich)

5 minutes ago, Geoff Woade said:

I hope they go ahead with the plan that only the kid with it goes home and the others monitored via testing. That way you’d hope in the vast majority of cases the kid would only get it once and their schooling only interrupted the once as well. Can’t carry on like they are now with whole classes or year groups having to go off. 

It's a sign of how attitudes have changed that even a suggestion that we only send sick children home from school rather than their entire class (ie what we've done with sick children since forever) is seen as radical.

6 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Pinch points:

• When people's immune systems are compromised by colds or flu, then come into contact with covid this winter. 

You can't catch colds/flu and covid at the same time.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's a sign of how attitudes have changed that even a suggestion that we only send sick children home from school rather than their entire class (ie what we've done with sick children since forever) is seen as radical.

Er... Do you not think that circumstances may have changed from a couple of years ago? 

Just now, sir roger said:

Johnson is a political shyster without a moral which he wouldn'rt sell , but what's the excuse with the other two nodding dogs who are meant to be looking out for the public ?

They're not elected, they don't make decisions, they advise. 

46 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think if the last year and a half has taught us anything, it's that most of the abuse will be directed at those who choose to not give a fuck about other people's health because the minor inconvenience of covering your face indoors is too much for the precious dears.