You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Going through the replies to that bloke someone posted a chart saying 8% of Covid hospitalisations at the moment are children. 

Blimey. 

Chris Witty has personally gone round to their houses and made them sick mate. Get with the programme.

5 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

This is the trouble. I asked recently how long the vaccination is supposed to be effective and the response was don't start on this. The numbers going up now can only be bad news in the longer term unless 1)the vaccination remains effective for years or 2) booster jabs are effective. 

This looks like a continuation of the herd immunity plan. 

at the weekend on Marr, whoever was representing the NHS or PHE (can't remember at all who it was), seems pretty sure everyone who gets a flu vaccine will be offered a booster jab at the same time. From what I recall reading a while back, I think the idea the booster will be of the type you have not had before. Who knows how well that has been tested. 

4 hours ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

Is it their first time contracting Covid ??, I'm just wondering what the real affect on catching it is if you've already had it, I'm dubious to how effective the jabs are, despite getting them myself.

One of them it was their 2nd. So double jabbed and had the virus. They're not spring chickens, but she got through the original (or perhaps alpha) strains much more easily. 

6 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

My guess is Marianna's report will be out before tK's analysis.

There was a write up on Witty in the Times this Sunday.  It was very positive.  

I look forward to a spin bowlers appraisal of his experience, expertise and performance. 

8 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:
A new study suggests that, unlike vaccines for the flu that need a yearly booster, the two-dose Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine should keep an immune response up for years.
The human body produces immune system components called antibodies to attack and neutralize an invader such as a virus. But these die off over time. To make sure of a long-term response, the body needs to keep the capacity to make more antibodies that can specifically respond to certain viruses or bacteria as needed. It does this with B-cells.
Researchers at Washington University in St. Louis found people who got both doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine had little factories called germinal centers that make B-cells that should specifically recognize the coronavirus, meaning there's a possibility for long-lasting protection, according to a study published in the journal Nature.

Hopefully the Astra Zenica one has similar results. 

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

There was a write up on Witty in the Times this Sunday.  It was very positive.  

I look forward to a spin bowlers appraisal of his experience, expertise and performance. 

It'll be worth the wait.  It is nearing completion and could be up as soon as tonight.  

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

First week of no deaths in Wales since the start of the pandemic. Went at the weekend actually for my first nights away since September, like being able to breathe again. Meal out, chips on the front, sunburn. Tremendous.

I wonder what they put the lack of deaths down to? Summer, warm weather…or perhaps something else. Something over 70% of the population have done…

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rico1304 said:

I wonder what they put the lack of deaths down to? Summer, warm weather…or perhaps something else. Something over 70% of the population have done…

Haha, I was just thinking exactly that in relation to the number of cases. Scotland currently has the highest number of daily and weekly cases since the start. Remember when cases were reduced to fuck all because the virus had blown itself out over last summer? Nothing to do with the only strict lockdown we've had of course...

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

First week of no deaths in Wales since the start of the pandemic. Went at the weekend actually for my first nights away since September, like being able to breathe again. Meal out, chips on the front, sunburn. Tremendous.

Excellent. I'm there next week to see my Mum. Two years since my sons and I have seen her, Jesus.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I'm thinking that here on Scilly. Thousands of tourists through here since early May, still no established cases.  We will, sure, but I'm wondering if the demographics of visitors age, plus the local community being mostly double-vaccd, is a sign of things to come.