You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Resigns, not sacked.

Pathetic.

Probably didn't sack him because it would look like he'd done what Cummings had told him to do. 

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Probably didn't sack him because it would look like he'd done what Cummings had told him to do. 

Nah, he's weak and pathetic that's why he didn't sack him.

He came out in full support of him yesterday, if anything this looks worse.

They'll be a gushing statement filled with praise so Hancock doesn't say anything stupid or talk about bodies.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They'll be a gushing statement filled with praise so Hancock doesn't say anything stupid or talk about bodies.

That's definitely all true, will be interesting to see what Cummings does next as he's probably smelling more blood. 

7 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I reckon he didn't sack him for the same reason he doesn't sack anyone, he just looks at what they've done, thinks "I'm in trouble if that's the bar for being sacked" and gives them a free pass. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I reckon he didn't sack him for the same reason he doesn't sack anyone, he just looks at what they've done, thinks "I'm in trouble if that's the bar for being sacked" and gives them a free pass. 

Yeah, should probably have said weak, pathetic, compromised and has literally zero moral authority.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Astounding...

'Thank you for your letter this evening, tendering your resignation as Secretary of State for Health and Social Care. I am sorry to receive it.

You should leave office very proud of what you have achieved - not just in tackling the pandemic, but even before Covid-19 struck us. Under your leadership, the Department has led fundamental reforms to the provision of care in this country. The NHS Long Term Plan was a major milestone in the history of that great institution. Your work on the Health and Care Bill will support our NHS and deliver greater integration between health and social care. And your efforts mean that we have a record numbers of doctors and over 14,800 more nurses working in our NHS than last year.

Above all, it has been your task to deal with a challenge greater than that faced by any of your predecessors, and in fighting Covid you have risen to that challenge - with the abundant energy, intelligence and determination that are your hallmark. Under your leadership, the Department for Health and Social Care has identified and deployed critical life-saving treatments such as Dexamethasone, rapidly increased hospital capacity through the Nightingale programme, and provided 11.7 billion items of PPE to the frontline at record speed. In March 2020, we had the capacity to test 2,000 people a day; now, we have built the largest diagnostic network in British history and have administered over 200 million tests. The vaccine procurement and deployment programme - in my view one of the greatest successes of the modern state - is now forging our path out of the pandemic.

Through the establishment of the United Kingdom Health Security Agency, you have also built the foundation to ensure the UK is better prepared for any future pandemic.

You made a considerable contribution to Government before becoming Secretary of State for Health and Social Care. I know that previous Prime Ministers were grateful for your work in ministerial positions in the Department for Business, Innovation, and Skills, the Cabinet Office, and the Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport. You have, across those roles, been a consistent and vigorous champion of the power of digital transformation.

You should be immensely proud of your service. I am grateful for your support and believe that your contribution to public service is far from over.'

Don't tell 'em anything Matt and there'll be a plum job coming your way sometime soon.

53 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

There's a link to a blog post which is pretty interesting- the guy's done all the usual stuff- 'it's only 'flu', 'there'll be no second wave', 'T-cells, herd immunity' etc etc. Ironically, the only thing he seems to have been right about was mask use, which he was firmly in favour of at the start but mysteriously changed his opinion along the way. And yet despite being proven wrong at almost every juncture, he's getting about £75K a year from gullible idiots on Patreon- I guess there's a massive market in telling people what they want to hear and pretending it's based on some sort of scientific insight everyone else has somehow missed. Decent money for spreading disinformation and lies. 

https://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.com/2021/05/theres-one-born-every-minute-ivor.html

IMG_4485.JPG

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

There's a link to a blog post which is pretty interesting- the guy's done all the usual stuff- 'it's only 'flu', 'there'll be no second wave', 'T-cells, herd immunity' etc etc. Ironically, the only thing he seems to have been right about was mask use, which he was firmly in favour of at the start but mysteriously changed his opinion along the way. And yet despite being proven wrong at almost every juncture, he's getting about £75K a year from gullible idiots on Patreon- I guess there's a massive market in telling people what they want to hear and pretending it's based on some sort of scientific insight everyone else has somehow missed. Decent money for spreading disinformation and lies. 

https://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.com/2021/05/theres-one-born-every-minute-ivor.html

IMG_4485.JPG

No "delayed first wave" piece? 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

No "delayed first wave" piece? 

Even worse than that- he was trying to suggest that just about everyone was infected with the virus in the first wave, but it lay dormant in most and was somehow 'triggered' by something later on. Just the usual flailing around trying to make out lockdowns don't work to suppress the spread.

Seems to be on the rise in Wakefield, particularly where I live.

Surge testing introduced, my youngest has to isolate all of next week and, most worryingly, I’ve seen a few on FB (I know) who have tested positive and are declaring themselves pretty unwell, despite having had two jabs. This includes a local landlady and a super fit cyclist type.

20 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Even worse than that- he was trying to suggest that just about everyone was infected with the virus in the first wave, but it lay dormant in most and was somehow 'triggered' by something later on. Just the usual flailing around trying to make out lockdowns don't work to suppress the spread.

Yep and just lying through their teeth. 

12 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Surge testing introduced, my youngest has to isolate all of next week and, most worryingly, I’ve seen a few on FB (I know) who have tested positive and are declaring themselves pretty unwell, despite having had two jabs. This includes a local landlady and a super fit cyclist type.

My 3 extended family members who picked it up 2 weeks ago (all double jabbed and after the 3 weeks period), 2 of them are still in hospital (hopefully one of them coming out soon). The other was quite ill at home for a week. The statistics tell us there certainly seems to be benefit from the vaccine, but it is certainly far from bullet proof. Andrew Marr was making that exact point on his show this morning, but nobody really seemed to take him too seriously. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

My 3 extended family members who picked it up 2 weeks ago (all double jabbed and after the 3 weeks period), 2 of them are still in hospital (hopefully one of them coming out soon). The other was quite ill at home for a week. The statistics tell us there certainly seems to be benefit from the vaccine, but it is certainly far from bullet proof. Andrew Marr was making that exact point on his show this morning, but nobody really seemed to take him too seriously. 

Yes, I saw that. It seems relatively young, healthy people are still becoming quite ill even after two jabs. Undoubtedly the vaccine is/will reduce short term hospitalisation and deaths but it remains to be seen how many will still suffer the effects of long covid and the individual/societal impacts that may bring. 

This thing is far from done with us.

Best wishes to your family. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mudface said:

IMG_4485.JPG

It’s a grift. 

Bev Turner has been trying to get in on the act for months, finally got her interview on GBTV news today. 

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

How are the lesbians holding up?