You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

14 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Meanwhile, in gammon land…

00BDEE59-39FC-442A-BE0B-B7D540D46263.jpeg

33549B13-D638-4003-899A-FB9C2006B846.jpeg

Look, it's not black and white is it? It's not 100% fucked and we're not 100% in the clear. There are worrying and promising ways to look at the data. I thought the fella on news at ten put it quite well last night. Both red flags and green shoots. The newspapers are always going to present what's more in line with their MO. The Guardian and The Indy in particular seem obsessed with scaring the shit out of people and presenting worst case scenario. The Tory papers are going to present things differently.

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Look, it's not black and white is it? It's not 100% fucked and we're not 100% in the clear. There are worrying and promising ways to look at the data. I thought the fella on news at ten put it quite well last night. Both red flags and green shoots. The newspapers are always going to present what's more in line with their MO. The Guardian and The Indy in particular seem obsessed with scaring the shit out of people and presenting worst case scenario. The Tory papers are going to present things differently.

The Telegraph and the Mail have been an absolute disgrace all the way through this, pushing the worst kind of pseudoscience and shite like the Great Barrington Declaration. And now you want to ‘both sides’ this? Get fucked. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

48 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

The Telegraph and the Mail have been an absolute disgrace all the way through this, pushing the worst kind of pseudoscience and shite like the Great Barrington Declaration. And now you want to ‘both sides’ this? Get fucked. 

I'm not both siding anything, you fucking utter tit. Pointing out that THEY are. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

I'm not both siding anything, you fucking utter tit. Pointing out that THEY are. 

My original, and only point, was the Mail and Telegraph are spouting shite again. I don't need you to tell me they frame things in a way consistent with their agenda. You're trying to justify the bullshit the Telegraph come out with by making spurious claims that The Guardian or Independent are just as bad in the opposite direction which is a load of shite. You bellend.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

My original, and only point, was the Mail and Telegraph are spouting shite again. I don't need you to tell me they frame things in a way consistent with their agenda. You're trying to justify the bullshit the Telegraph come out with by making spurious claims that The Guardian or Independent are just as bad in the opposite direction which is a load of shite. You bellend.

Am I fuck trying to justify anything. Man points out left wing and right wing newspapers frame coverage in line with left and right leanings. Not exactly fucking breaking news. Cunt.

EDIT: Apology for calling you a cunt. 

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

Am I fuck trying to justify anything. Man points out left wing and right wing newspapers frame coverage in line with left and right leanings. Not exactly fucking breaking news. Cunt.

It was a pointless post. Everyone knows those newspapers have a right wing agenda. It doesn’t absolve them from the shite they spout and it’s a false equivalence to try and draw any kind of comparison to what those newspapers do and what The Guardian and The Independent do. They have actively lied, spread harmful, hateful propaganda and advocated for ideas like herd immunity by infection that would have made a terrible situation even worse. And they’re still doing it. 

I can probably find a dozen instances of the Telegraph in particular publishing absolutely batshit crazy stuff just by looking on Twitter for two minutes. I’m not sure you could do the same for The Guardian. 

34 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

It was a pointless post. Everyone knows those newspapers have a right wing agenda. It doesn’t absolve them from the shite they spout and it’s a false equivalence to try and draw any kind of comparison to what those newspapers do and what The Guardian and The Independent do. They have actively lied, spread harmful, hateful propaganda and advocated for ideas like herd immunity by infection that would have made a terrible situation even worse. And they’re still doing it. 

I can probably find a dozen instances of the Telegraph in particular publishing absolutely batshit crazy stuff just by looking on Twitter for two minutes. I’m not sure you could do the same for The Guardian. 

You're a fucking pointless post. 

Look, the Telegraph stuff is clearly bollocks. The Mail stuff has some merit to it. Vaccines are working better than expected, per PHE. There is evidence the infection growth rate may be slowing. That's what I was referring to when presenting different elements of the picture up front in their coverage. 

The Guardian or Indy (especially) have doomsday'd this to the nth degree from day one. Their coverage has been overwhelmingly slanted towards hopelessness and fear, even when things have appeared (albeit fleetingly) to be looking brighter. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Chris said:

You're a fucking pointless post. 

Look, the Telegraph stuff is clearly bollocks. The Mail stuff has some merit to it. Vaccines are working better than expected, per PHE. There is evidence the infection rate may be slowing. That's what I was referring to when presenting different elements of the picture up front in their coverage. 

The Guardian or Indy (especially) have doomsday'd this to the nth degree from day one. Their coverage has been overwhelmingly slanted towards hopelessness and fear, even when have appeared to be looking brighter. 

No, it’s cherry picking one aspect of the PHE report and ignoring the parts that don’t agree with their agenda. As they have done all the way through this. 

See what Steve Baker and The Telegraph say:

And what they are omitting (he’s just done modelling data for PHE):

I don’t agree with your characterisation of The Guardian coverage either (which I read daily) or The Independent (which I only see now and then on social media and the like so maybe they have but I’ve not noticed anyone saying it). 

You blert. 

4 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

No, it’s cherry picking one aspect of the PHE report and ignoring the parts that don’t agree with their agenda. As they have done all the way through this. 

See what Steve Baker and The Telegraph say:

And what they are omitting (he’s just done modelling data for PHE):

I don’t agree with your characterisation of The Guardian coverage either (which I read daily) or The Independent (which I only see now and then on social media and the like so maybe they have but I’ve not noticed anyone saying it). 

You blert. 

Newspaper reader defends coverage of newspaper he reads. 

I read daily too (have also worked for them for about 7 years now). Doesn't mean I can't be objective about the coverage. 

I read the Guardian app most days and it’s true that they offer a more pessimistic slant on things, but then this has been a pretty shit affair hasn’t it? Constant mistakes by the government, crap plans or no plan at all. Are they expected to ignore all of that and focus on the very small number of positives?

The likes of the Mail, Telegraph and scummy red tops have been an absolute disgrace throughout.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Newspaper reader defends coverage of newspaper he reads. 

I read daily too (have also worked for them for about 7 years now). Doesn't mean I can't be objective about the coverage. 

Haha. So I can’t be objective because I read it (I also read The Times and The Telegraph more often than The Independent but I’m not defending them), but you work for them and can be objective? Maybe I just have a different opinion to you? Though you did say 

The Guardian or Indy (especially) have doomsday'd this to the nth degree from day one. Their coverage has been overwhelmingly slanted towards hopelessness and fear

Which I guess should be easy to provide examples of if it’s something they do all the time and it’s so bad? 

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I read the Guardian app most days and it’s true that they offer a more pessimistic slant on things, but then this has been a pretty shit affair hasn’t it? Constant mistakes by the government, crap plans or no plan at all. Are they expected to ignore all of that and focus on the very small number of positives?

The likes of the Mail, Telegraph and scummy red tops have been an absolute disgrace throughout.

Well that’s the point really isn’t it. I’d say The Guardian have been more realistic but maybe people think they’ve been too pessimistic because they give space to people they don’t agree with like Indie Sage members or something. That isn’t the same as spreading fear, if anything all papers in this country have been guilty of underestimating how bad this would become. 

And they’re certainly miles away from the active lies and damage the right wing press have spread during this. 

1 minute ago, Sugar Ape said:

Haha. So I can’t be objective because I read it (I also read The Times and The Telegraph more often than The Independent but I’m not defending them), but you work for them and can be objective? Maybe I just have a different opinion to you? Though you did say 

Which I guess should be easy to provide examples of if it’s something they do all the time and it’s so bad? 

I'm saying you're not being objective. I'm not trawling the internet for every example and then writing an essay justifying why each take was fearmongery. If this means you win the internet fight then I hope it makes your Friday night pint a little more enjoyable. Dickhead.

I don't think telling the truth is a bad thing. It's a real life threatening pandemic thats taken nearly 4 million lives and countless on-going medical issues. Calling the chief medical officer "Dr Gloom" and labelling days when lockdowns will ease as "freedom day" is cunt behaviour yet people have chosen to side with the latter. Power of the media eh. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Regardless of whether the vaccine works there should be an overriding duty to suppress the current level of infection in order to reduce the risk of long Covid and further mutations.

As a country we're very quick to point the finger at places such as India and Brazil, yet here we are allowing 10,000+ infections per day to go unchecked.