You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

12 minutes ago, Jenson said:

No worries, but I think your taking the word 'suggests' far too literally. The 96%/92% efficacy of the vaccines against the delta variant is calculated from data analysis of over 14,000 people. In terms of biological trials that's a pretty large number.

Yes I am taking it literally as I have a deep distrust of the authorities. I'll be amazed if their suggestion of 96/92% efficacy translates into real world results. 

The whole point of getting (most) people vaccinated is getting us back to normal, and having to carry around cards to prove status or whatever, is not normal, certainly not in this country. It would be a divisive and discriminatory measure - there are many people with medical conditions who are unable to get vaccinated, for instance - and should be filed in the same toilet as ID cards and voter ID.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Yes I am taking it literally as I have a deep distrust of the authorities. I'll be amazed if their suggestion of 96/92% efficacy translates into real world results. 

Just for comparison, the largest trial study I can find for the benefits of Ivermectin against Covid19 is 1195 participants.

Also: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-advises-against-use-ivermectin-prevention-treatment-covid-19-outside-randomised-clinical-trials

Just now, TK421 said:

Sorry, I don't know what you mean re: manners.

I ordered it from an online vet.  I got the horse paste version.

Oh OK, sound. I genuinely thought you were taking the piss with the animal stuff and mocking my interest. I know very little about the drug so was just interested. I'll have a look into it further. 

2 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Just for comparison, the largest trial study I can find for the benefits of Ivermectin against Covid19 is 1195 participants.

Also: https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-advises-against-use-ivermectin-prevention-treatment-covid-19-outside-randomised-clinical-trials

Dr Pierre Kory had a paper published in the American Journal of Therapeutics, it's here in full:-

https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/fulltext/2021/06000/review_of_the_emerging_evidence_demonstrating_the.4.aspx

It's peer reviewed and I am happy to take him for his word. 

1 minute ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Oh OK, sound. I genuinely thought you were taking the piss with the animal stuff and mocking my interest. I know very little about the drug so was just interested. I'll have a look into it further. 

You can't get it over the counter in the UK or even from a GP without jumping through a lot of hoops.

It's horse paste or nothing, so I went with the former.  I had to lie to get it, though.  When I filled the form in I said I had a 3 year old 700kg horse, who I have named Carl.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I must say wariness over the vaccine comes over as a little more odd if that same person uses worming paste intended for horses.

Like Skidfingers said, these are crazy times and we all have to work our way through the quagmire and figure out our own version of the truth. 

I would never in a million years have envisaged myself ingesting medicine intended for horses, yet here we are.  It's not a decision I have taken lightly, it took me approximately 12 months of following the ivermectin story closely before I decided that it was the right thing to do for me personally.  I am happy to be a guinea pig on this one.  

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Dr Pierre Kory had a paper published in the American Journal of Therapeutics, it's here in full:-

https://journals.lww.com/americantherapeutics/fulltext/2021/06000/review_of_the_emerging_evidence_demonstrating_the.4.aspx

It's peer reviewed and I am happy to take him for his word. 

All this author has done is write a review of meta analysis of data from trials run by other researchers, the largest of which was just 400 participants.

Why are you happy to take the word of this author based on this paper, and dismiss the data taken from over 14,000 people on the effectiveness of the vaccines against the delta variant? It makes no sense.

1 minute ago, Jenson said:

All this author has done is write a review of meta analysis of data from trials run by other researchers, the largest of which was just 400 participants.

Why are you happy to take the word of this author based on this paper, and dismiss the data taken from over 14,000 people on the effectiveness of the vaccines against the delta variant? It makes no sense.

Because I intuitively trust him and am persuaded by the data and rationale he uses. 

1 minute ago, Jenson said:

That always confuses me with antivax or anticovid or similar people, total distrust of the authorities, but some retired epidemiologist or virologist on Youtube who is on a war path against the mainstream, he or she is immediately sound.

• Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Awesome stuff from Russell Brand here.  The way he articulates his views whilst barely pausing for breath, he is a machine.  If you have twenty spare minutes I recommend watching.

I lasted 2 minutes.  Just another professional opinion-haver framing daft questions in a way that sounds like he's got some sort of insight, when he really doesn't. 

The whole "if they're lying about  [whether it originated in a lab accident] what else are they lying about" routine is stupid and intellectually dishonest on a lot of levels and deserves to be ignored. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

That always confuses me with antivax or anticovid or similar people, total distrust of the authorities, but some retired epidemiologist or virologist on Youtube who is on a war path against the mainstream, he or she is immediately sound.

He's a practicing doctor working in critical care in an American hospital treating Covid patients.  Not a retired vlogger.  

1 minute ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I lasted 2 minutes.  Just another professional opinion-haver framing daft questions in a way that sounds like he's got some sort of insight, when he really doesn't. 

The whole "if they're lying about  [whether it originated in a lab accident] what else are they lying about" routine is stupid and intellectually dishonest on a lot of levels and deserves to be ignored. 

Oh right.  Well done on lasting two minutes, in that case.  

I find his insight remarkable but each to their own.

4 minutes ago, TK421 said:

He's a practicing doctor working in critical care in an American hospital treating Covid patients.  Not a retired vlogger.  

I wasn't necessarily referring to you directly, but Jenson's  comment reminded me of the similar phenomenon.

After many debates, I concluded it comes down to trust in established authorities (of any kind) , because the answer is always, he/she is an expert who worked in the field for 30 years (the Tuber). Well, so are the others, I'd point out, and here the conversations almost always stops.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

I wasn't necessarily referring to you directly, but Jenson's  comment reminded me of the similar phenomenon.

After many debates, I concluded it comes down to trust in established authorities (of any kind) , because the answer is always, he/she is an expert who worked in the field for 30 years (the Tuber). Well, so are the others, I'd point out, and here the conversations almost always stops.

Again, each to their own.  I have the utmost respect for Dr Kory and his contemporaries. 

21 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Overall he's promoting being open about everything and not to just accept whatever the most popular narrative is. Most people instantly dismiss Brand due to his wandering phrases but there's nothing wrong with what he's suggesting there. Nothing wrong with that video at all.