You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, TK421 said:

5.  I'm not comfortable with the concept of vaccine passports and compulsory vaccinations for certain jobs etc.  I'd rather not live in a world where these things become commonplace, so if the virus kills me as an unvaccinated person then so be it.

That is maybe the most stupid thing I've ever heard on this forum. 

• Upvote 5

3 minutes ago, TK421 said:

They're incredibly safe... unless they kill you. 

For once, I'd like to agree with you....

But I fear my reputation, in tatters and what's left of it on here, would be plunged - like a poisoned syringe into my arm - to the point of no return, let alone recovery.

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

That is maybe the most stupid thing I've ever heard on this forum. 

Well hello to you, too. Nice to see you again. 

And with all due respect, what I said there was nothing compared to that time Bob Spunkmouse had salad tortilla for breakfast. 

• Upvote 2

Have that you shitcunt virus, oh...

'Last week Public Health England report published data comparing the effectiveness of the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines. But it was based largely on how they perform against the Alpha variant, not the Delta one which is now dominant and more harmful.

The new research published today in the Lancet does compare the effectiveness of the two vaccines against the Delta variant.

Here are the figures for effectiveness against infection at least 14 days after the second dose.

Pfizer

79% effective against Delta variant

92% effective against Alpha variant

AstraZeneca

60% effective against Delta variant

73% effective against Alpha variant'

17 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Well hello to you, too. Nice to see you again. 

And with all due respect, what I said there was nothing compared to that time Bob Spunkmouse had salad tortilla for breakfast. 

To be fair Bob didn't say "I'd sooner die than not have green on my breakfast"

8 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Have that you shitcunt virus, oh...

'Last week Public Health England report published data comparing the effectiveness of the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines. But it was based largely on how they perform against the Alpha variant, not the Delta one which is now dominant and more harmful.

The new research published today in the Lancet does compare the effectiveness of the two vaccines against the Delta variant.

Here are the figures for effectiveness against infection at least 14 days after the second dose.

Pfizer

79% effective against Delta variant

92% effective against Alpha variant

AstraZeneca

60% effective against Delta variant

73% effective against Alpha variant'

Did they define what they meant by effective? Some of my extended family currently have this running through them - with 2 double vaxd people now positive with one in hospital. It's certainly concerning imo. I know that's a small sample size, but I have been concerned watching these numbers fly up over the last few weeks when we're supposedly kicking around this supposed "herd immunity" magic number. 

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

To be fair Bob didn't say "I'd sooner die than not have green on my breakfast"

Did they define what they meant by effective? Some of my extended family currently have this running through them - with 2 double vaxd people now positive with one in hospital. It's certainly concerning imo. I know that's a small sample size, but I have been concerned watching these numbers fly up over the last few weeks when we're supposedly kicking around this supposed "herd immunity" magic number. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson has just said that he wants to "double jab" two thirds of the UK population in the coming weeks. 

I'd quite like to give him a couple of jabs! 

I agree with the measures taken today. But, it's still quite satisfying to see his "freedom day" bollocks backfire on him. 

The way they are calling it "freedom day" is absolutely shameful 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

So we're bringing second doses forwards, why say they were most effective at 12 weeks initially then?

5 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Is it because they know more now? 

Plus they're willing to trade off efficacy with getting more people vaccinated. Which is probably fair enough as the bulk of the remaining people are in the younger age groups so have a lower chance of serious illness.

3 hours ago, TK421 said:

I haven't taken my vaccine.  I have vaccine hesitancy and feel no shame in admitting that.

My reasons are as follows (in no particular order):-

1.  The origin of the virus is not known.  If this was a zoonotic spillover virus, as was originally claimed and heavily pushed for in the media (before they recently switched to the lab leak hypothesis), I would be more inclined to take the vaccine.  If it had been proven that this virus originated in nature I would probably consider it to be less harmful.  But no host species has been found and we're about 18 months into this pandemic now. So, it seems to me that on the balance of probabilities the virus was made in a lab.  I do not feel comfortable taking a vaccine that mimics the immune response to a chimeric lab-made virus, because in many cases it is the immune response that makes people seriously ill (cytokine storm, blood clots etc).  It's no surprise to see people vaccinated people dropping dead from things that mimic the immune response, such as thrombocytopenia.

2.  I believe that the vaccines are highly experimental in nature, which makes me feel uneasy about taking one.  I think they were rushed through the clinical trials and that's why we're only finding out now about thrombocytopenia, myocarditis and so on.  It has all happened a bit quickly for my liking.

3.  I question the efficacy/effectiveness of the vaccines. I don't think they will work against the rapidly mutating virus, think that the benefits of taking the vaccine are hugely exaggerated and that the potential downsides are all downplayed.  If it can be proven that the vaccines have a high degree of real world effectiveness against the latest variants of the virus I would be happy to take one, but I don't think we're at that stage yet.

4.  Long term side effects are not known.  The vaccines were rushed through clinical trials so there is zero data on long term side effects.  I fear we may be sitting on a ticking time bomb in this respect, and that people may develop illnesses triggered by the vaccine in the years to come. 

5.  I'm not comfortable with the concept of vaccine passports and compulsory vaccinations for certain jobs etc.  I'd rather not live in a world where these things become commonplace, so if the virus kills me as an unvaccinated person then so be it.

I'm not pro or anti-vaxx, I just want to wait and see how they perform and whether any further complications arise in terms of short and long term side effects.   I don't see anything wrong with that.

I think the divisions that are emerging between vaccinated/unvaccinated people are disturbing.

Get it done you blubbering fanny.