You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

To be serious for a moment, though - I think it was perfectly fair to be a little wary of the vaccine when it was absolutely brand new. I wanted to know a bit more myself before I committed to it. However we now have 6 months of real-world data, and serious side-effects are remarkably rare. Scientists confirm that the vaccines are effective against all extant variants. I'd be incredibly surprised if there were serious long-term effects of the vaccine, but even if there were, I'd be even more surprised if they were more severe than the serious long-term effects which can develop from the virus itself. There is such a thing as being too cautious.

• Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

To be serious for a moment, though - I think it was perfectly fair to be a little wary of the vaccine when it was absolutely brand new. I wanted to know a bit more myself before I committed to it. However we now have 6 months of real-world data, and serious side-effects are remarkably rare. Scientists confirm that the vaccines are effective against all extant variants. I'd be incredibly surprised if there were serious long-term effects of the vaccine, but even if there were, I'd be even more surprised if they were more severe than the serious long-term effects which can develop from the virus itself. There is such a thing as being too cautious.

I think it's perfectly fair to accept the vaccine when offered it.

I also think it's perfectly fair to refuse it.

Just now, TK421 said:

Well the good news for you is that because so many people have accepted it, you probably won't need to.

Just now, Anubis said:

Well I have to say that given your cheerleading for masks, this is both very disappointing and highly irresponsible of you, TK.

Can't tell if serious.

But assuming you are, I must stress that I am not anti-vaxx.  I just want to wait and see.

I wouldn't buy a new make of car in its first year of release.  That's when they iron out all of the kinks, or in really bad cases recall the product.  

Look at all the fuss with the astrazeneca vaccine.  We're oh so proud of it because it was made in Britain and it was the very first on the market and yay, but oh look the rest of the world doesn't want to touch it because it kills young people.  

Just now, TK421 said:

Can't tell if serious.

But assuming you are, I must stress that I am not anti-vaxx.  I just want to wait and see.

I wouldn't buy a new make of car in its first year of release.  That's when they iron out all of the kinks, or in really bad cases recall the product.  

Look at all the fuss with the astrazeneca vaccine.  We're oh so proud of it because it was made in Britain and it was the very first on the market and yay, but oh look the rest of the world doesn't want to touch it because it kills young people.  

"it kills young people" what? I agree it's personal choice wether to take it or not but let's face it, anti-vaxxers are selfish arrogant twats. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Well the good news for you is that because so many people have accepted it, you probably won't need to.

That doesn't seem to be helping with transmission though, does it?  We were told that the vaccines would reduce transmission, yet here we are with a new variant growing exponentially.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

"it kills young people" what? I agree it's personal choice wether to take it or not but let's face it, anti-vaxxers are selfish arrogant twats. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/italy-halts-astrazeneca-vaccine-under-60s-after-teenager-dies-2021-06-11/

The Italian government said on Friday it was restricting the use of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to people over the age of 60, after a teenager who had received the shot died from a rare form of blood clotting.

Camilla Canepa died on Thursday aged 18 after being given the vaccine on May 25, triggering a media and political outcry over the Anglo-Swedish company's shot being used for adults of all ages despite previously-raised medical concerns.

Basically, I also have trouble with the ethics of the vaccine.  Is my partial, temporary and waning immunity worth more than the life of that 18 year old Italian girl?  For me, the answer is no. I don't see why that girl should have to "take one for the team".  It kind of sickens me that her life is deemed expendable.

1 minute ago, TK421 said:

Basically, I also have trouble with the ethics of the vaccine.  Is my partial, temporary and waning immunity worth more than the life of that 18 year old Italian girl?  For me, the answer is no. I don't see why that girl should have to "take one for the team".  It kind of sickens me that her life is deemed expendable.

How has she "taken one for the team"? Behave. Are you forgetting the over 4 million people worldwide who've died from the virus? These vaccines have given hope that we have put the worst of covid behind us. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, TK421 said:

Are you planning to live a sheltered life and self isolate/socially distance for the next 6, 12, 18 months?

It just seems an odd gamble to risk the effects of the virus vs the risk of the vaccine?

9 minutes ago, TK421 said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/italy-halts-astrazeneca-vaccine-under-60s-after-teenager-dies-2021-06-11/

The Italian government said on Friday it was restricting the use of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine to people over the age of 60, after a teenager who had received the shot died from a rare form of blood clotting.

Camilla Canepa died on Thursday aged 18 after being given the vaccine on May 25, triggering a media and political outcry over the Anglo-Swedish company's shot being used for adults of all ages despite previously-raised medical concerns.

I might be wrong but isn't the AZ vaccine not used in younger people not because they're more prone to blood clots after it, but because the virus itself presents such a small threat to this population group that there's value in finding them an alternative vaccine? It's no more likely to cause clotting in older populations, but given the risk the virus poses to them, the risk-benefit calculation is vastly different.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Manny said:

I might be wrong but isn't the AZ vaccine not used in younger people not because they're more prone to blood clots after it, but because the virus itself presents such a small threat to this population group that there's value in finding them an alternative vaccine? It's no more likely to cause clotting in older populations, but given the risk the virus poses to them, the risk-benefit calculation is vastly different.

I think it's being shunned because it's harmful, that's the way I see it.

Loads of countries have restricted its use to older people.  

48 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

TK coming out as an anti-vaxxer was just the plot twist I've been waiting for my whole life.

Brilliant. 

There's no problem in questioning the vaccines, especially the mRNA ones. There's a weird lack of transparency around those ones. I am getting it, but I can't say I'm especially looking forward to it. 

The lipid particles that carry the RNA into cells have been shown to go into multiple organs. Crosses the brain blood barrier, goes into the liver, heart, etc... which is a little scary. Now I think the point is that RNA goes away and it's dissolved by the body, but it's all a bit shrouded. Same for the lipids, there's little info on what those do. 

In fact, the AZ one and the stuff coming out about is actually loads more reassuring because it's quite transparent. There's a clear but small blood clot risk and we know about it. 

9 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

There's no problem in questioning the vaccines, especially the mRNA ones. There's a weird lack of transparency around those ones. I am getting it, but I can't say I'm especially looking forward to it. 

The lipid particles that carry the RNA into cells have been shown to go into multiple organs. Crosses the brain blood barrier, goes into the liver, heart, etc... which is a little scary. Now I think the point is that RNA goes away and it's dissolved by the body, but it's all a bit shrouded. Same for the lipids, there's little info on what those do. 

In fact, the AZ one and the stuff coming out about is actually loads more reassuring because it's quite transparent. There's a clear but small blood clot risk and we know about it. 

AZ vaccine has also been associated with guillain-barre syndrome, myocarditis and internal bleeding.  I'm definitely not taking it.

I might be persuaded to take one of the mRNA ones, but I'm waiting to see if they work on the new variants and whether there are more side effects to come.

In the meantime I am using ivermectin as prophylaxis. 

6 minutes ago, TK421 said:

AZ vaccine has also been associated with guillain-barre syndrome, myocarditis and internal bleeding.  I'm definitely not taking it.

I might be persuaded to take one of the mRNA ones, but I'm waiting to see if they work on the new variants and whether there are more side effects to come.

In the meantime I am using ivermectin as prophylaxis. 

My point is that there is more information and transparency surrounding AZ than the Pfizer and Moderna ones. There is little out there in the form of peer reviewed material describing how the components of the mRNA vaccines are safe, most notably the lipids. 

The AZ one, the risks seem to be well known. It's easier to make a decision. 

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

My point is that there is more information and transparency surrounding AZ than the Pfizer and Moderna ones. There is little out there in the form of peer reviewed material describing how the components of the mRNA vaccines are safe, most notably the lipids. 

The AZ one, the risks seem to be well known. It's easier to make a decision. 

I see your point.  Personally, I don't think there's much transparency around any of the vaccines.  Every time someone dies after taking one, the media says that it's "unclear whether the vaccine caused the death", even though it seems pretty obvious when someone young and healthy dies within hours or days after taking one. 

I think AstraZeneca owe an apology to, for example, the family of the 18 year old Italian girl who was killed by their vaccine.  I doubt it will be forthcoming, though.