You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

5 hours ago, Mudface said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I bunged the figures in a spreadsheet, and they actually look very promising, given that the age profile of people with two vaccinations will be much older than the unvaccinated or those with a single dose.

image.png

~68% of the people who tested positive were unvaccinated, compared to ~6% of those who'd had both doses- so if everything's equal, you have about a 90% chance of avoiding catching the virus.

On the face of it, hospitalisations as a percentage of the total who tested positive is double the rate in doubly vaccinated people (2.4% vs 1.3%) and deaths as a percentage of those hospitalised is triple (28.6% vs 9.2%). People dying as a percentage of those testing positive is nearly 6 times higher in the vaccinated group than in the unvaccinated (0.67% vs 0.12%). Presumably this is purely due to the double vaccinated group being predominantly composed of more elderly and possibly vulnerable people. But the chance of getting the virus in the first place is massively reduced by being doubly vaccinated. I would expect that once we get more people 50 and under vaccinated, those figures will balance out.

Has everyone in this data set completed the full course I.e. of those who didn't die have they all recovered/have long term symptoms?

3 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

Has everyone in this data set completed the full course I.e. of those who didn't die have they all recovered/have long term symptoms?

No idea sorry, the figures were just taken from a Guardian article and I put them into a spreadsheet for a simple, back-of-a-fag-packet calculation as they seemed a bit odd at face value.

It’s all the stuff going on behind the scenes that I reckon Johnson hasn’t got a clue about that’s the real worry. Unfortunately it’ll be those same pricks in the background that decide when he goes because it won’t be the electorate for the foreseeable. Balkanised Brexit Britain has seen to that. 

1 minute ago, MegadriveMan said:

I keep hoping/thinking that something will begin to damage his popularity, surely people will start to get pissed off with him now?

Tens of thousands have seemingly died needlessly, and he looks to have- possibly corruptly- wasted hundreds of millions of pounds. He's a 'love-rat', attempted to have a fellow journalist beaten up and been sacked several times for his inveterate lying, including to our beloved Queen. He illegally suspended Parliament, pushed through a disastrous Brexit deal and is now trying to renege on it. He's a national embarrassment with his clumsy, dickhead antics at international meetings. And he pisses off and hides in a fridge to avoid answering questions.

I'm not sure what else he can possibly do.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

I think you both have a point @Mudface and @Poster. I agree with Mudface that bringing in a scheme like that now would be profoundly unfair on people who haven’t had a chance to get vaccinated yet and I think for compliance you have to treat everyone the same. 

However, once we end the restrictions I really don’t see a problem with a vaccine passport as was originally mooted to make sure we don’t have to bring some restrictions back. The original idea was you needed to have either been vaccinated, had a recent negative test or tested positive for Covid within the last three months and you just show this on an app to gain entry with paper copies available for people who needed one. 

I never understood the issue with this. If you don’t want the vaccine then fine, just take a test and if negative you can go where you want. If you refuse to have the vaccine or take a test then tough shit in my view. I don’t see why your right not to have a vaccine or take a test is more important than the rights of people to not want to mingle with unvaccinated and untested people. 

The argument usually goes if you are vaccinated then it doesn’t matter if other people are or not but it clearly does as you can still get ill and even die if you are fully vaccinated (even though it’s much less likely) and the unvaccinated are more likely to have it and to pass it on to you. 

The only reason it never came in is because of the malign libertarian cunts on his back benches and the likes of The Mail and The Telegraph.

It’s rumoured there will be a four week delay to 21st June so that’s enough time to get this sorted by then and if things look good enough to lift the restrictions at the end of July then bring a vaccine passport in until we have time to assess how the vaccines are working and prepare any booster jabs for the new variants. 

One of his biggest failings is insisting on naming dates months in advance when you don’t know how things are going to be and also promising the lifting of restrictions will be irreversible. He should be upfront and tell people that he can’t promise they will be irreversible as we are in a world wide pandemic instead of indulging his pathological desire to be liked and deliver good news. 

The app exists. Just download the NHS app (not the covid one, the regular one) and your vaccine history is there. 

1 hour ago, MegadriveMan said:

Essentially the decision to delay putting India on the Red list has fucked us again? 

Have you not listened to Johnson and Hancock? All they do is follow the science. 

45 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Tens of thousands have seemingly died needlessly, and he looks to have- possibly corruptly- wasted hundreds of millions of pounds. He's a 'love-rat', attempted to have a fellow journalist beaten up and been sacked several times for his inveterate lying, including to our beloved Queen. He illegally suspended Parliament, pushed through a disastrous Brexit deal and is now trying to renege on it. He's a national embarrassment with his clumsy, dickhead antics at international meetings. And he pisses off and hides in a fridge to avoid answering questions.

Yeah, but he got brexit done. Nothing else matters in the eyes of the complete and utter fucking biffs in this country. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, but he got brexit done. Nothing else matters in the eyes of the complete and utter fucking biffs in this country. 

That's pretty much it, and what I always say to my despairing sister when she asks a similar question. Yet even that's despite being part of the gang that stopped May getting Brexit done several times.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Yeah I think we're at the post-truth stage of whatever shite narrative the media waffle on about is the main thing that matters and whatever these idiots in power do isn't as important. Not good at all really.

12 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The app exists. Just download the NHS app (not the covid one, the regular one) and your vaccine history is there. 

Yeah I’ve got the app, it works really well and would be pretty easy to set up a system for use but there is no chance they will do that. I think they could sell it quite easily as a way out of restrictions. 

18 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Yeah I’ve got the app, it works really well and would be pretty easy to set up a system for use but there is no chance they will do that. I think they could sell it quite easily as a way out of restrictions. 

I think it should be a way out.  But I don't believe they will do it. 

On 08/06/2021 at 17:36, Anubis said:

I thought the President of Norway would have been fully vaccinated ages ago.

I’m a man of the people, I would never jump the queue. 

Got my vaccine pass as well now, pretty nice.

What the fuck does this even mean in English?

We have to be cautious with irreversibility, which is irreversible, but we are reversing, but cautiously, and it is and always has been irreversible.

The very definition of word salad.

'Rolling the pitch: Boris Johnson this afternoon all but confirmed the June 21 coronavirus unlock date for England would have to be pushed back. The PM told the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg: “We’ll be saying more on Monday when the decision comes due. But I think what you can certainly take, Laura, is that the roadmap was always cautious, but irreversible. And in order to have an irreversible roadmap, you’ve got to be cautious. And we’ll be spelling out exactly what we’ll be doing on Monday. I’m afraid you’ll have to wait til Monday.” Which sounds very much like rolling the pitch for a delay. Asked by Sky’s Beth Rigby if he was less optimistic than he was at the end of May, Johnson said, “Yes that’s certainly fair.”,

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Whast the fuck does this even mean in English?

We have to be cautious with irreversibility, which is irreversible, but we are reversing, but cautiously, and it is and always has been irreversible.

The very definition of world salad.

'Rolling the pitch: Boris Johnson this afternoon all but confirmed the June 21 coronavirus unlock date for England would have to be pushed back. The PM told the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg: “We’ll be saying more on Monday when the decision comes due. But I think what you can certainly take, Laura, is that the roadmap was always cautious, but irreversible. And in order to have an irreversible roadmap, you’ve got to be cautious. And we’ll be spelling out exactly what we’ll be doing on Monday. I’m afraid you’ll have to wait til Monday.” Which sounds very much like rolling the pitch for a delay. Asked by Sky’s Beth Rigby if he was less optimistic than he was at the end of May, Johnson said, “Yes that’s certainly fair.”,

tenor.gif

17 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

What the fuck does this even mean in English?

The very definition of word salad.

I mentioned Roger Irrelevant in the Viz thread, and here he is.

18 hours ago, Rushies tash said:

#thejohnsonvariant trending on twatter. The tide seems to be turning. He's coming in for alot of shit for not red listing India before his trade trip. Kuenssberg is going to be busy over the next few days I imagine. 

I always felt the UK kept its borders open way too long. Given the large Indian and Pakistani population groups there. Would there have been pressure to keep the doors open. I mean can you stop British citizens of South Asian decent returning home?