You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

4 minutes ago, Moo said:

I may be missing something but isn't that the nature of something with exponential growth?

3 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Not to this extent, my area's gone from about 20 active cases to 1800 in barely a week.

What Mudface said. It would have to be a lot worse than we think it is to rise as much as the Zoe app has it.

39 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

What Mudface said. It would have to be a lot worse than we think it is to rise as much as the Zoe app has it.

The Liverpool figures haven't been too bad on Zoe. I've been weekly checking the stars from the council and Zoe seems to have roughly followed the same path. Maybe it needs significant enough numbers? 

Screenshot_20210604-191430.jpg

24 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The Liverpool figures haven't been too bad on Zoe. I've been weekly checking the stars from the council and Zoe seems to have roughly followed the same path. Maybe it needs significant enough numbers? 

Screenshot_20210604-191430.jpg

Yeah I think the amount of people using it in each area has a big impact and I wonder if a lot of people have just jibbed it off once they’ve been vaccinated?

Cases being so localised in certain areas rather than spreading evenly across the country can’t help either and cases also rising the most in deprived areas may be throwing it off track as I think people using the Zoe app are likely to be low in those areas. 

54 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

Saying that, I personally don’t think a lockdown will be needed again, but we might need to delay lifting some of the measures due to be lifted on 21st June for a month or two until we get more second jabs in people. I can’t really see too much of a downside to having people wear masks in shops and public transport, work from home if they can etc… if it means we keep cases manageable. 

100% Agree with this. 

I never understood why the 21st of June was chosen as the date to lift all restrictions when the government knew full well that some adults wouldn't have been offered their first jab by this date? 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

100% Agree with this. 

I never understood why the 21st of June was chosen as the date to lift all restrictions when the government knew full well that some adults wouldn't have been offered their first jab by this date? 

Because when they initially pulled that date out of their arses they thought they would have everyone with at least one vaccine and then they had those supply difficulties and lost around a month. Just like last year though, they want everything back to normal for the summer to the expense of all logic. I can't see what harm them delaying the next date by a month or so will do. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Probably not the place to mention that I really like Kula Shaker.

Anyway:

The country cannot "scamper down a rabbit hole" with every new variant, Sir John Bell has warned, as Boris Johnson comes under increasing pressure to stick to reopening on June 21.

Sir John, a leading member of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine team, urged the Government to stick to the unlocking roadmap and ensure we "move on" rather than delay reopening the country due to new variants.

The Oxford University professor of medicine told BBC Radio 4's Today: "If we scamper down a rabbit hole every time we see a new variant, we're going to spend a long time huddled away".

He cautioned that coronavirus "is here to stay probably forever", and said that the Government should focus on managing "hospitalisations, serious disease and deaths" rather than cases.

He's absolutely right, and the sooner they sort all that 'hospitalisation' stuff out the sooner I can go back to standing in the corner of nightclubs and pubs moaning about how shit they are. 

Today, 4330 cases, 123 people admitted to hospital. 

The last time we hit 4000 cases was 18 September, and it took 5 days then to hit 6000 cases, and by 3 October it was double digit thousands. 

The problem we have in comparing cases between now and last June is that you don't trust the testing back 12 months ago, but the number of hospitalisations is a good indicator and probably quite accurate.  So, 123 people hospitalised today, sounds like a lot, is never good to hear. 

78 admitted to hospital on 16 May 2021.  That is the lowest number of hospitalisations we have known in a day since 22 August 2020 when there were 72 admitted in a day.  

If we're seeing hospitalisations double, almost, then we need to know who and why.  What proportion are unvaccinated? But what percentage are kids?  

This is a good link that shows the most recent data for each NHS area in terms of daily admissions and hospitalisations.  It seems a lot more manageable when broken down regionally, though I think there may be a bit of a lag in updating it. 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=nhsregion&areaName=London

1 minute ago, johnsusername said:

Has anyone been the dentist? I still can't get my kids in, they're closed unless it's an emergency. Fucking hell. 

Nope, although they have texted a couple of times saying they have hygienist slots available, presumably they make more money through those...

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Schools were not responsible for spikes last year, and it would be entirely expected if they were not responsible for any spikes this year either.

I don't think schools were the only thing responsible but I think they played a part in it. I don't think this (from the Johns Hopkins site) would've looked the same if they'd not gone back to school in Sept last year like they did.

Xh55VyW.png

At the same time I have no idea how things stayed so normal after they went back in March. You can say that's because they had nothing to do with the spread of the virus in the first place, but when over 50% of schools had infections late last year there's no way it wasn't adding to what was going on.

7 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

He's absolutely right, and the sooner they sort all that 'hospitalisation' stuff out the sooner I can go back to standing in the corner of nightclubs and pubs moaning about how shit they are. 

Today, 4330 cases, 123 people admitted to hospital. 

The last time we hit 4000 cases was 18 September, and it took 5 days then to hit 6000 cases, and by 3 October it was double digit thousands. 

The problem we have in comparing cases between now and last June is that you don't trust the testing back 12 months ago, but the number of hospitalisations is a good indicator and probably quite accurate.  So, 123 people hospitalised today, sounds like a lot, is never good to hear. 

78 admitted to hospital on 16 May 2021.  That is the lowest number of hospitalisations we have known in a day since 22 August 2020 when there were 72 admitted in a day.  

If we're seeing hospitalisations double, almost, then we need to know who and why.  What proportion are unvaccinated? But what percentage are kids?  

This is a good link that shows the most recent data for each NHS area in terms of daily admissions and hospitalisations.  It seems a lot more manageable when broken down regionally, though I think there may be a bit of a lag in updating it. 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/healthcare?areaType=nhsregion&areaName=London

If I read that correctly, a week ago hospitalizations were on average at 3% of hospitalizations in January, when Kent peaked.

Last seven days, average daily deaths in the UK are still in single digit numbers.

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

If I read that correctly, a week ago hospitalizations were on average at 3% of hospitalizations in January, when Kent peaked.

Last seven days, average daily deaths in the UK are still in single digit numbers.

The worry is what they're like in 2 weeks mate 

2 hours ago, Jockey said:

I can't fucking stand that Pagel. Fake Sage need to fuck off - no accountability and they just keep pushing zero covid. She had a go at people criticising her yesterday for being negative. Apparently we aren't allowed to get worried and scared, we are supposed to just accept what she says. She isn't a medical expert either she is a maths professor i think. 

Now look what you've done :

3 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Schools were not responsible for spikes last year, and it would be entirely expected if they were not responsible for any spikes this year either.

You'd been doing really well lately aswell. 

29 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Has anyone been the dentist? I still can't get my kids in, they're closed unless it's an emergency. Fucking hell. 

I've been trying to get an appointment for a lost filling in a molar since September.

Their answer, "You can buy temporary fillings from the pharmacy or failing that, Amazon. Use that".

2 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

I've been trying to get an appointment for a lost filling in a molar since September.

Their answer, "You can buy temporary fillings from the pharmacy or failing that, Amazon. Use that".

Ridiculous advice that.

11 minutes ago, Elite said:

Ridiculous advice that.

Yep. 

Apparently my dentist fired out a sprog so is on maternity leave, so I think it was a locum. Sounded a bit of a dick tbh.

It's not giving me any pain, but it is a bit sharp. Hopefully she'll be back before long, though I think I might end up losing it.

6 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

Yep. 

Apparently my dentist fired out a sprog so is on maternity leave, so I think it was a locum. Sounded a bit of a dick tbh.

It's not giving me any pain, but it is a bit sharp. Hopefully she'll be back before long, though I think I might end up losing it.

Your dentist isn't West Derby/Norris Green area by any chance is it? 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Your dentist isn't on Muirhead Avenue by any chance is she? 

No, up here in Skem.

She took over from the Dentist I had for 25 years who was very good, and she's pretty decent.

I had a few bad do's with Dentists prior to these two with unnecessary fillings etc.

Fucking destroyed my teeth, I'm convinced one fella was deliberately slipping with the drill so he could fill it next time. 

I was still in my teens at the time.