You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

34 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Don't get it. 

Is the joke around scientists/doctors being surrounded by 'facts' and then feeling worried about it, or feeling their value will deteriorate?  Because, I mean, they were doing other work before Covid. 

But they were not in the media spotlight, as they were during the pandemic. Some became international stars.
wasshhandstegen.jpg

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Whatever happened to them and Crispin Mills?

I went to the twentieth anniversary of ‘K’ with people who should have known better against my better judgement , it was terrible, but the blerts I was with enjoyed.

Venn diagram of people who like Kula Shaker and don’t get a round in is pretty damning...

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, SasaS said:

He played the priest
in The Exorcist.

In the 1970s? Impressive time travelling.

Apparently he has written some movie scripts, a couple starred Simon Pegg. His first was acquired by a Hollywood production company and was never made into a film. Curious.

5 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

In the 1970s? Impressive time travelling.

Apparently he has written some movie scripts, a couple starred Simon Pegg. His first was acquired by a Hollywood production company and was never made into a film. Curious.

His "untitled response project" script never got properly of the ground in the UK too and was soon abandoned.  His films divide people in his home country as well.

Probably not the place to mention that I really like Kula Shaker.

Anyway:

The country cannot "scamper down a rabbit hole" with every new variant, Sir John Bell has warned, as Boris Johnson comes under increasing pressure to stick to reopening on June 21.

Sir John, a leading member of the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine team, urged the Government to stick to the unlocking roadmap and ensure we "move on" rather than delay reopening the country due to new variants.

The Oxford University professor of medicine told BBC Radio 4's Today: "If we scamper down a rabbit hole every time we see a new variant, we're going to spend a long time huddled away".

He cautioned that coronavirus "is here to stay probably forever", and said that the Government should focus on managing "hospitalisations, serious disease and deaths" rather than cases.

Luckily for me I passed my test the day the seatbelt law came into being. Before that it was a daily danger that I could be hit by flying drivers as they were flung from their cars. 

One of my daughters is totally against having the vaccine, the other still undecided. My son had his first Pfizer recently. I have no issues with anyone that weighs up their risk and decides one way or the other. I just think that we all have rights, so those who decide no shouldn’t complain when finding themselves limited for a short while. 

By limited I mean if certain countries require proof of vaccination before travel. Some of the no vaccine brigade want the right to do what they want, but completely disregard everyone else’s rights. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Poster said:

Luckily for me I passed my test the day the seatbelt law came into being. Before that it was a daily danger that I could be hit by flying drivers as they were flung from their cars. 

One of my daughters is totally against having the vaccine, the other still undecided. My son had his first Pfizer recently. I have no issues with anyone that weighs up their risk and decides one way or the other. I just think that we all have rights, so those who decide no shouldn’t complain when finding themselves limited for a short while. 

By limited I mean if certain countries require proof of vaccination before travel. Some of the no vaccine brigade want the right to do what they want, but completely disregard everyone else’s rights. 

My lad (36) is also totally against having the vaccine. "They're not using me as a fucking guinea pig"

I pointed out that he sometimes has to go abroad for his job and the problems not being vaccinated could bring, but he's not having any.

Daft.

• Like 1

Same problem as Poster and HL , inasmuch as the daughter (30) and son in law aren't keen on the vaccination . The daughter genuinely is worried about the fertility issues that are being spouted , whereas the sil just thinks it is a load of cobblers for lads his age. I think he will come round just because he will want holidays and we are working on the daughter bit by bit.

2 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Scottish health minister saying 'Delta' varient is hitting kids as well and seeing numbers of under 10's being hospitalised on the 'high side', whereas they'd seen very few previously.

This'll go down well.

I read an article the other week (it may have been on here) suggesting that a more transmissible variant, such as the Delta, is potentially worse than a "more deadly" but less transmissible variant.  So, even though the most vulnerable have largely been vaccinated, the high numbers and high levels of transmission could cause more deaths to those susceptible in the unvaccinated population, and also in the vaccinated but low/unprotected of course.  It's a scary thought and while it's good to stay positive about where this is headed, a healthy dose of caution would not go amiss.

I'm 26 and getting one of the mRNA vaccines, I have an appointment in two weeks, but it is true that it's experimental and there are holes to poke in them in terms of potential safety. If you do your research there are some genuinely questionable things about them that could theoretically bring about some issues. And it does worry me to an extent, but it is what it is. 

3 hours ago, Harry's Lad said:

My lad (36) is also totally against having the vaccine. "They're not using me as a fucking guinea pig"

I pointed out that he sometimes has to go abroad for his job and the problems not being vaccinated could bring, but he's not having any.

Daft.

People get jabs to go to Thailand and shit, I bet he's got a BCG scar too, no? If you look at the potential side effects of even relatively innocuous medication, some of them are mental. 

8 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I read somewhere that the AstraZeneca vaccine is 60% effective against the Indian variant and 66% effective against the Kent variant, which, if true, is pretty shit.

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/covid-19-vaccine/news/20210525/pfizer-astrazeneca-vaccines-indian-variant-study

'May 25, 2021 -- A study found that two doses of the Pfizer/BioNTech or the Astra/Zeneca vaccine protect against the COVID-19 variant first detected in India -- as well as the variant first found in the United Kingdom.

The study emphasized the need for two doses, saying one dose of the vaccines provided much less protection.

The Public Health England study looked at health data from 1,054 people of different ages and ethnicities in April and May.

The study said the Pfizer vaccine was 88% effective against the B.1.617.2 variant, first found in India, 2 weeks after the second dose. The Pfizer vaccine was 93% effective against the variant found in the U.K., known as B.1.1.7, two weeks after the second dose.

Two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine were 60% effective against the B.1.617.2 variant and 66% effective against B.1.1.7, the study said. But one dose didn’t work nearly as well, the study said. Three weeks after the first dose, both vaccines provided only 33% effectiveness against B.1.617.2 and 50% effectiveness against B.1.1.7.

The study concluded, “After 2 doses of either vaccine there were only modest differences in vaccine effectiveness with the B.1.617.2 variant. Absolute differences in vaccine effectiveness were more marked with dose 1. This would support maximizing vaccine uptake with 2 doses among vulnerable groups.”

Jenny Harries, the chief executive of the U.K. Health Security Agency, hailed the study as the "first real-world evidence of vaccine effectiveness" against the variant, according to the BBC.“This evidence is groundbreaking & shows how important the 2nd dose is to secure the strongest protection against COVID-19,” U.K. Health Secretary Matt Hancock said in a tweet. “Thank you to the scientists & clinicians who've been working to produce this research. It’s vital to get both jabs.”

The study authors said the different effectiveness of the vaccines after two doses might be explained by the earlier rollout of the Pfizer vaccine.

The BBC said the Moderna vaccine has also been used in the U.K. since April, but the numbers were too small to be included in the study.

Health experts say the B.1.617.2 variant is one of the main reasons India is having a difficult time bringing the pandemic under control.

India now has the second most confirmed coronavirus cases in the world (26.7 million, behind the United States’ 33.1 million) and the third most deaths (303,000; behind 590,000 in the U.S. and 449,000 in Brazil).

B.1.1.7 is now the dominant strain in the U.K.'

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

People get jabs to go to Thailand and shit, I bet he's got a BCG scar too, no? If you look at the potential side effects of even relatively innocuous medication, some of them are mental. 

Yep, I've told him this. It's weird how some degree educated people can be so dim.

Got stabbed by Pfizer this morning. That was 4 hours ago and virtually no after affects so far, head and tummy threatened to go places I didn't want to go but that's the extent of it.

What is the timeliness for saying I'm through this?

12 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I read somewhere that the AstraZeneca vaccine is 60% effective against the Indian variant and 66% effective against the Kent variant, which, if true, is pretty shit.

It's not amazing but miles better than nothing of course.  The danger is with a more transmissible variant the potential is there to hit higher numbers of the 40% and the unvaccinated, hence it's not enough to say "the most vulnerable have been vaccinated".