You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

21 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Thick as pigshit.

Utterly pointless and shows them up for the troublemakers with no cause they are.

3 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Utterly pointless and shows them up for the troublemakers with no cause they are.

"What do we want?!"

"A reason to moan but we don't know why because we're thick as fuck!!!"

"When do we want it?!"

"Now!" 

Authorities in Vietnam have detected a new coronavirus variant that is a combination of the Indian and UK COVID-19 variants and spreads quickly by air, the health minister said on Saturday.

After successfully containing the virus for most of last year, Vietnam is grappling with a rise in infections since late April that accounts for more than half of the total 6,856 registered cases. So far, there have been 47 deaths.

"Vietnam has uncovered a new COVID-19 variant combining characteristics of the two existing variants first found in India and the UK," Health Minister Nguyen Thanh Long said, describing it as a hybrid of the two known variants.

"That the new one is an Indian variant with mutations that originally belong to the UK variant is very dangerous," he told a government meeting, a recording of which was obtained by Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/vietnam-detects-hybrid-indian-uk-covid-19-variant-2021-05-29/

2 hours ago, Poster said:

Authorities in Vietnam have detected a new coronavirus variant that is a combination of the Indian and UK COVID-19 variants and spreads quickly by air, the health minister said on Saturday.

After successfully containing the virus for most of last year, Vietnam is grappling with a rise in infections since late April that accounts for more than half of the total 6,856 registered cases. So far, there have been 47 deaths.

"Vietnam has uncovered a new COVID-19 variant combining characteristics of the two existing variants first found in India and the UK," Health Minister Nguyen Thanh Long said, describing it as a hybrid of the two known variants.

"That the new one is an Indian variant with mutations that originally belong to the UK variant is very dangerous," he told a government meeting, a recording of which was obtained by Reuters.

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/vietnam-detects-hybrid-indian-uk-covid-19-variant-2021-05-29/

This is what happens when people ask for chips with their lamb bhunas. Cunts!

1 hour ago, Anubis said:

When I expect at least 80% of that lot voted for the tories in the last election. Do they grab ugly kids at birth and remove a certain section of the brain and programme them to be absolute flans? I don't know a single good looking person who is one of them

2 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

NHS asking for a review on ending lockdown even though there is no spike in admissions so they can catch up with the backlog of other treatments. I think there will be genuine rebellion if he extends again.

That was said last time and there wasn’t.

If the hospitals start filling up again then people will accept whatever they are asked to do.

11 minutes ago, Brownie said:

That was said last time and there wasn’t.

If the hospitals start filling up again then people will accept whatever they are asked to do.

People have been saying this every time they take any measures all the way through it. “Riots if they extend lockdown or close the pubs again”. Never going to happen. 

Not to mention no one, least of all Johnson, is talking about there being another lockdown. The only thing being discussed is delaying the final lifting of restrictions on June 21st. And even then, it’s likely he’ll lift some and keep a few others for a month or two. 

So things like masks in shops and public transport, keeping the work from home if you can rule or the one metre plus rule in pubs and restaurants. Absolutely no chance there will be unrest if they keep some of them for a bit longer. 

The Times said the other day he wants to lift the social distancing rule in pubs, theatres and restaurants on the 21st as they think that’s the most important for the economy but keep the masks and wfh rule. That’s not a lockdown.

• Upvote 2

The idea of ending all lockdown measures on one day was crazy anyway, regardless of variants and cases and all the rest of it.

The biggest problem with Johnson, and there's many, is that he's flippant about life and death stuff and talks off the cuff (just ask that woman who ended up having her prison stay extended in Iran)

The way you or I would talk about, say, being up for someone's birthday night out next year, he talks about lifting lockdown restrictions.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The idea of ending all lockdown measures on one day was crazy anyway, regardless of variants and cases and all the rest of it.

The biggest problem with Johnson, and there's many, is that he's flippant about life and death stuff and talks off the cuff (just ask that woman who ended up having her prison stay extended in Iran)

The way you or I would talk about, say, being up for someone's birthday night out next year, he talks about lifting lockdown restrictions.

He treats most of the population like they are the inhabitants of his fish tank, sure he'll do just enough to keep some of them alive but they are easily replaceable and if he forgets to feed them, it doesn't really matter.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Naming dates months in advance is mental anyway. Just put unnecessary pressure on himself.

Like when he promised people could meet for Christmas weeks before then had to backtrack and cancel it for London, Kent and Essex etc…with short notice. 

17 minutes ago, Elite said:

He treats most of the population like they are the inhabitants of his fish tank, sure he'll do just enough to keep some of them alive but they are easily replaceable and if he forgets to feed them, it doesn't really matter.

Considering the votes they get, a lot have the memory of goldfish.

17 minutes ago, Mudface said:

He's doing his best and Corbyn would have been worse, dontcha know?

I don’t have faith that any politicians would have faired better at the start. 

But the incompetence shown by the government since then has been staggering, much of it fuelled by greed though. The price for tens of thousands of lives, probably Hancock shuffled somewhere else in the government. Teflon bastards these politicians, literally get away with murder. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Naming dates months in advance is mental anyway. Just put unnecessary pressure on himself.

Like when he promised people could meet for Christmas weeks before then had to backtrack and cancel it for London, Kent and Essex etc…with short notice. 

Or 100,000 tests by the end of some month. Need for such symbolic propaganda victories is pretty strong. Day of freedom.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I can't imagine Starmer , Corbyn or the Lib Dem guy feeling it could be ignored because it was only killing 80 year olds and throwing people out of hospitals into rest homes with no testing.

Killing the old, weak and vulnerable is very much a Tory thing though, well them and Governor Cuomo apparently. 

Yeah I like the bit where some people listen to actual experts and suggest the right things to preserve life. Fucking nobodies suggesting what should happen is laughable. Wankers like that are responsible for more deaths you fucking wankers 

10 hours ago, SasaS said:

Or 100,000 tests by the end of some month. Need for such symbolic propaganda victories is pretty strong. Day of freedom.

Hey, they stuck 40K test kits in the mail on the last day to meet their target and no one found out for a couple of days. Massive win.

Can someone, sincerely, explain to me why there is so much fear about the Indian variant? 

Close to half the adult population have 2x doses offering 85% + protection against serious illness. The people with two vaccines are the most susceptible to it. Unvaccinated people aren't in danger from vaccinated people, unvaccinated people aren't a threat to vaccinated people. 

The spread is largely among teenagers, reportedly, in those north west areas, who aren't really in much danger at getting properly sick from this.

However, you hear "third wave" constantly from the scientists and I can't work out why. The vast majority of those who would be at serious risk from this are now protected. 

So what am I missing? Honestly, I'm not trying to be a dick here, I just assume there's something I don't get. Is it more that we're in a bit of a race against time to get more people vaccinated? Or is there a real fear that these vaccines just aren't as effective as we've been told? 

NB: Posting this a couple of places.

• Upvote 2