You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

On 19/05/2021 at 11:35, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ll be able to say for certain in four hours time but I imagine it will be a similar process to the first one. Go in, give your name, then sit for a few minutes until they call you in. 

I've had the call from my GP surgery today. I was feeling a bit nervous but this has put my mind at rest. Thanks Captain T.

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I've had the call from my GP surgery today. I was feeling a bit nervous but this has put my mind at rest. Thanks Captain T.

You’re welcome. I’m glad I was able to put your mind at rest because I had that experience to call upon. Also, I don’t want to alarm you too much but I had the 2nd jab on Wednesday and after being fine ever since then I took a turn for the worse and died about 45 minutes ago. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, TheBitch said:

My Nan has been on the phone and asked how she gets a Covid test, she wants to see her sister, and needs to get a Covid test, not a lateral flow one. Before I google I thought I would ask the GF.

Pics or GTFO

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, TheBitch said:

My Nan has been on the phone and asked how she gets a Covid test, she wants to see her sister, and needs to get a Covid test, not a lateral flow one. Before I google I thought I would ask the GF.

I’ve got a few knowing about, Rich.

Drop us your address.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Only 15 positive covid tests among the 58,000 people who attended the trial mass gatherings.

Just waiting for Sage to say that this means half the country will be dead by August.

Worthless stat. 

They were advised to get tests "within 5 days" of the event they attended. Plus, without data on how many of the 58,000 actually had their second, post-event test, the data is fairly useless. 

5 hours ago, TheBitch said:

You can get 7 per person free in most pharmacies, the guy across the road said they are glad to get rid as had hardly any interest.

On 19/05/2021 at 17:11, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Yeah I take your point.  That said, it's a sticky wicket right now, give it two weeks mate and we'll know a lot more about variants and vaccines. 

Here’s the first data and it’s good news. 

https://www.ft.com/content/a70d423a-7d7c-4736-8828-0a485d7c3a8e

New UK government research suggests two doses of a Covid-19 vaccine are needed to provide strong protection against symptomatic infection from the coronavirus variant first identified in India, according to two people briefed on the preliminary data.

Two vaccine doses provided 81 per cent protection against the B.1.617.2 variant found in India, and 87 per cent against the B.1.1.7 strain first identified in Kent in south-east England, according to the Public Health England data that was presented to a meeting of the government’s New and Emerging Respiratory Virus Threats Advisory Group (Nervtag).

Two people who attended the Nervtag meeting on Friday said the data showed that one dose offered 33 per cent protection against symptomatic infection from B.1.617.2, and 51 per cent against B.1.1.7.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40295444.html

The Chief Executive of BioNTech, who has developed a vaccine with Pfizer, said their jab is likely to be effective against the variant, with it possible that it could be upwards of 80% effective. 

As reported by Reuters, the company said in a statement Chief Executive Ugur Sahin felt encouraged by recent findings in a scientific paper based on blood analysis of vaccinated individuals, which showed that the antibodies elicited by the vaccine were able to neutralise the Indian variant.

“So far we've had the chance to test our vaccine against more than 30 variants of the virus. It has proven effective against mutations so far," Sahin said earlier, speaking on Turkish television.

"We expect (our vaccine) to protect against infections by 70% to 75%," he said on TV, in what the company later said was in reference to the South African variant and not directly to the Indian variant.

Encouraging news. 

21 hours ago, TheBitch said:

I've got loads of the tests. I'm happy to go round to your nans and give her one?