You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

8 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

Next week I’m seeing one of my mates from work for the first time in over year. She’s one of our lawyers and just before lockdown found out her long term partner had been cheating on her.  How she’s coped over the last 15 months is beyond me.  

Take a condom in case

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

"Indian variant" 

Easing of lockdown coming up perchance? What happened to the Brazilian one?

I might be misreading this but are you suggesting it's not a genuine concern? 

8 minutes ago, Moo said:

I might be misreading this but are you suggesting it's not a genuine concern? 

It's carrot and stick. Every time they ease lockdown they find a new bogeyman to make sure people rein it in, Kent, South Africa, Brazil, now this. The media lap it up for headline purposes. India has all the ingredients for any disease running wild without it having to be some kind of super strain.

There's evidence the strain is more transmissible but not more deadly or able to avoid vaccines. Suspect they're lubing us up for an administrative cluster fuck, just like they pinned the post Christmas surge in deaths on the Kent strain, which resulted in half the lorries in Europe being stranded in Dover. Don't recall it ending in doomsday.

Concerning perhaps, but how people can lap it up with the British media and current government's form is beyond me.

"In India, where most health workers were vaccinated early, there have been very few hospitalisations and deaths among this cohort. 

In the UK, too, early signs in Bolton and Blackburn look positive – there are far fewer cases in those over 60 who have been vaccinated compared to those in younger age groups."

Yes, the key with every new variant is how it affects vaccinated people.

To be fair to the Kent variant, it did wreak havoc on the continent, where it is called the British variant. But that was in the early stages of vaccination.

All the data for the vaccines so far show 100% effectiveness against serious illness and hospitalisation. There's also absolutely no evidence to suggest that any of the vaccines are any less effective against this Indian variant.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Jenson said:

All the data for the vaccines so far show 100% effectiveness against serious illness and hospitalisation. There's also absolutely no evidence to suggest that any of the vaccines are any less effective against this Indian variant.

The media love the drama though. One week it's "open up now" the next its "1000 a day could die"

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I suspect some of the Indian variant panic is to help speed up vaccination in reluctant bame areas, they've sent mobile clinics to Bolton and Blackburn among other places.

Don't buy that mate.  Its the Tories response to try and deflect pressure to delay re-opening.  They are now all in on vaccines working and lifting lockdowns despite their bullshit about being led by science.. Lots more people are going to get sick imo . 

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I suspect some of the Indian variant panic is to help speed up vaccination in reluctant bame areas, they've sent mobile clinics to Bolton and Blackburn among other places.

I think that is extremely unlikely. The entire scientific community in the UK are lying about there being an Indian variant or lying about it looking like it’s much more transmissible to scare people (at least partly) into having vaccinations? 

We had the same kind of stuff with the Kent variant when that was found, just go and check back through the thread. It’s all made up, they’re only saying it to scare people into complying etc… 

The thing is, all the way through this Johnson and his government have downplayed things. They never overstate it. Even as recently as this Wednesday in PMQs he was saying his intent and expectation is that all social distancing is lifted from 21st June, he’s going to lift the work from home if you can rule and so on. 

I don’t think we’ll go back into a lockdown, at the most I think they might delay the last set of restrictions due in June. But if he does lockdown again you can bet your life it’s because it’s needed and not because he wants to scare or control people for some reason. He’s been late to lockdown every single time, ignored recommendations for the two week break in September and to scrap people being allowed to see each other (except for London) over Christmas. And every time he has delayed it’s been the wrong decision and made things worse. 

Like I said I don’t think we will need to go back into any kind of strict lockdown, at most I think we’ll keep some light restrictions most people can live with like face masks in shops and public transport, Covid secure workplaces etc… but him going over the top and trying to scare people unnecessarily is at odds with how he has managed the whole thing. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jenson said:

Hopefully you're right, I've read that there's not enough evidence either way. 

However there is some evidence that people are still catching the Indian variant even if vaccinated which is disappointing as previous to this were being told that there was mounting evidence that the vaccine significantly reduces transmission, which doesn't appear to be the case with this variant.  Would that have some impact on mutations I wonder?

18 hours ago, belarus said:

I’m being genuinely interested asking that. What debate was that graph with Sweden in relation to? 

I thought the debate was about whether Sweden even had a lockdown, but I read that post with the graph as “proof” that lockdown works because of Sweden’s numbers, suggesting it is common knowledge that they didn’t lockdown and that’s the result?

Is there multi-layered debates on it?

@Rico1304 - can you help me out with this please mate?

11 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

"Murder sick people to stop disease" is quite the take.

Yeah a bit like the herd immunity idea instead of lockdowns. Although boarding people up in their homes in very medieval. 

43 minutes ago, Moo said:

Hopefully you're right, I've read that there's not enough evidence either way. 

However there is some evidence that people are still catching the Indian variant even if vaccinated which is disappointing as previous to this were being told that there was mounting evidence that the vaccine significantly reduces transmission, which doesn't appear to be the case with this variant.  Would that have some impact on mutations I wonder?

There's been nothing disappointing about the effectiveness of the vaccines thus far, quite the contrary. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Yes, it’s the complete opposite of what you thought.  Not locking down has led to more deaths and similar economic downturn to those that did.  

Thanks mate. 

I didn’t think they had locked down by the way - just understood that there was a debate where people were arguing about if they did or not, so was confused with the angle suggested on that post. 

• Upvote 1