You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

On 06/05/2021 at 20:42, Bjornebye said:

Since WW2 I would imagine in this country anyway. 

I haven't seen any figures on how many don't want to get vaccinated in the UK to be fair. Anyone point blank refusing it though is a dick in my book. It's up to them and they can't (and should absolutely not) be forced to have one of course but as we've seen since the start of this, some people don't 'get it'. I genuinely believe we would be at or even over a million deaths in the UK alone without lockdowns. As horrible and hard (and the ongoing torment) as they have been I think they were essential for the preservation of as many lives as possible. 

A million deaths in this country? 

USA has had 31 million cases and only 500k deaths. 

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

A million deaths in this country? 

USA has had 31 million cases and only 500k deaths. 

Yeah, they had a lockdown. They also have about a quarter the population density. It's only my opinion, lockdowns absolutely slowed the virus down. Without them it could have been a fuck load worse in the UK. 

38 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah, they had a lockdown. They also have about a quarter the population density. It's only my opinion, lockdowns absolutely slowed the virus down. Without them it could have been a fuck load worse in the UK. 

The death rate is on average around 1% of those infected. 

If every single person in our country got it, that would be 600-700k deaths. 

Would be hard pushed for every single person to get it with or without lockdown 

6 minutes ago, Daisy said:

The death rate is on average around 1% of those infected. 

If every single person in our country got it, that would be 600-700k deaths. 

Would be hard pushed for every single person to get it with or without lockdown 

It's around 2.8% the death rate isn't it? I might be wrong. I usually am. 

If we got anywhere near even 300-400,000 deaths in this country the healthcare system would have collapsed leading to a huge increase in deaths from other causes. 

Despite some people blaming lockdowns for people dying from other diseases the truth is without lockdowns we would have had the worst of both worlds. Massive increase in the amount of Covid deaths and deaths from other causes due to hospitals being overrun and NHS staff being off work sick or isolating in much greater numbers. 

• Upvote 5

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Case fatality rate vs infection fatality rate. It’s likely to be 1% or less, but like I said if your healthcare system collapses or is stretched then people will die who might otherwise have survived due to lack of oxygen supplies or ventilators etc…

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Fortunately not- it's about that if you just take official cases vs deaths here- 4.4 million cases and 127K deaths. But there'll have been a lot more cases that weren't recorded, so that'll obviously reduce the overall ratio. Not as much as the 'it's all over/ T-cells/ no second wave because we've all had it' clowns try to make out, but it's still a fucking horrible disease.

The numbers of people who've died as a result of the knock on effects will also be very significant, missed cancer diagnoses, treatments, mental health issues and the concomitant problems etc.

As bad as it is, as @Sugar Ape pointed out while I was typing this, if we hadn't locked down it would have been much, much worse, potentially catastrophic.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

As bad as it is, as @Sugar Ape pointed out while I was typing this, if we hadn't locked down it would have been much, much worse, potentially catastrophic.

Yeah that was my original point too. He just hijacked it and stuck a cherry on top. 

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

They have had wide access to the vaccine and only have 30% initial take rate??

Yes, they are struggling to get beyond that (most people seem to be offered Chinese vaccines). Now that supply of vaccines is no longer a major issue in North America and Europe, hesitancy may crop up as the next big problem.

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Yes, they are struggling to get beyond that (most people seem to be offered Chinese vaccines). Now that supply of vaccines is no longer a major issue in North America and Europe, hesitancy may crop up as the next big problem.

People are still sceptical about the vaccination? Wow, if true I have no words. Except those ones. 

2 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

People are still sceptical about the vaccination? Wow, if true I have no words. Except those ones. 

Yes, I would say about one in three people is still refusing it round Europe, in worst countries it goes to over half of population.

7 hours ago, SasaS said:

Yes, I would say about one in three people is still refusing it round Europe, in worst countries it goes to over half of population.

That's astonishing, so it's not lack of vaccines as the EU have banged on about (although that may have been a factor early doors). For every 99 people, 66 are turning it down? Crazy. 

12 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

You need to sort that shit out because Dalyan is on my list of places to holiday.   

Nice one mate, I am allowed out today will see what I can do.

Not sure if I'd want a mandatory mask wearing holiday though.

Beautiful place in normal times though.

7 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

That's astonishing, so it's not lack of vaccines as the EU have banged on about (although that may have been a factor early doors). For every 99 people, 66 are turning it down? Crazy. 

No, its 33 in 99, and it is within expectations, according to earlier surveys. It varies from country to country. Many have also been turning down Astra Zeneca, in favour of Pfizer. Most if not all countries will have a problem once they are over 50 percent. 

11 minutes ago, SasaS said:

No, its 33 in 99, and it is within expectations, 

Yea I would say that is pretty close to the number (1/3).

I can understand some people preferring one brand over another but I am quite sure that giving someone 25 bucks would make any difference -  here at least.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yea I would say that is pretty close to the number (1/3).

I can understand some people preferring one brand over another but I am quite sure that giving someone 25 bucks would make any difference -  here at least.

They will need to devise some kind of approach, so far, most governments have been downplaying the issue, because they would have to admit their people don't trust them.

From talking to people and reading what they are saying, some don't trust AZ, some don't want AZ because the second shot would be in July and now August, when they are typically out of town, many don't trust vaccines but when they hear not getting vaccinated could mean some restrictions for them, they change their mind because they don't distrust them that much that they would be prepared to be inconvenienced and so on. Maybe hesitancy goes down quickly with the number of already vaccinated, I know that it is affected by overall incidence of covid. 

On 06/05/2021 at 21:16, TheHowieLama said:

What??

No chance - may be wrong but I would guess the effective rate of vaccination in either the UK or the US never goes above 70%.

I think we'll get over 70% here - well 70% of the adult population as obviously it's not available for children yet. I think we're already over 60% of 1st jabs and we've not offered it to the 18-40 age groups yet. As someone else mentioned ( @Jockey ?) the anti vax thing here is really corner case. We'll know soon enough though as they're still sticking to this end of July as the marker of all adults will have been offered the jab. 

By looking at the local news here, take up in Asian communities is pretty low, so I guess that is an issue they'll have to solve. And maybe some of the youngsters will think they'd sooner risk the virus than the jab - although in terms of immunity you would think a lot of those 18-40s have had it after how it went in the autumn and winter waves! 

My bet is 80-90% of adults will take it here. I did see some news stories last week saying they think your side of the pond it could be 30% refusal of uptake (which fits with your numbers), which is clearly worrying. 

Anyone still tracking what's going on in India?

Terrifying stuff. The news is reporting ~4k deaths/day, but experts are looking at crematorium data and saying the true figure is likely between 25k-50k/day. Apparently around 27k/day die in normal circumstances across the whole country, so adding an extra 4k/day is going to stretch the cremation industry but not cause it to totally collapse. And most of them that have been analysed are reporting double or more the number of cremations they were handling before.

Yeah it will be a while before the entire world is vaccinated. Worst part about India is that their numbers was looking so good and because they opened up for elections and religious holidays, it totally got fucked up. Goes to show this whole, they didn’t get it because it was hot there, is just another load of absolute rubbish.

they have totally fucked up on these 2 points and are now really paying the price. 

• Upvote 1