You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

It is a fair point tbh - they are saying 1400 more folks have died this year:

In England, men living in the poorest areas were four times more likely to die from alcohol than those in the most affluent.

Women from deprived areas were three times more likely to die from alcohol than in the wealthiest areas.

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

In England, men living in the poorest areas were four times more likely to die from alcohol than those in the most affluent.

Women from deprived areas were three times more likely to die from alcohol than in the wealthiest areas.

It's awful. 

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

I blame Kestral Super Strength.

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

None of it is. The whole thing has been horrible for everyone it still is and will be for a long time. 

It has been the most disruptive event in a generation (probably more).

The reality is that this happened when both the UK and the US were in protectionist mode - we are seeing the administrations handling in the States take an about face - over the next couple years we will see if the change at the top makes any real difference.

We are entering a weird phase on this as the regulations now are intended to protect those that haven't been vaccinated but - at least here in the States - we are damn near done with everybody who wants one, and a shedload of folks do not want it.

So the new message is we keep up protective measures to protect the folks who don't want to get vaccinated?

That is a tough sell tbh.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jockey said:

20% increase in the amount of alcohol related deaths in 2020. So clearly it seems that lockdowns were very, very difficult for lots of people.

The worrying thing is, I think most people coped better with the first lockdown than the second one.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

The reality is that this happened when both the UK and the US were in protectionist mode - we are seeing the administrations handling in the States take an about face - over the next couple years we will see if the change at the top makes any real difference.

We are entering a weird phase on this as the regulations now are intended to protect those that haven't been vaccinated but - at least here in the States - we are damn near done with everybody who wants one, and a shedload of folks do not want it.

So the new message is we keep up protective measures to protect the folks who don't want to get vaccinated?

Since WW2 I would imagine in this country anyway. 

I haven't seen any figures on how many don't want to get vaccinated in the UK to be fair. Anyone point blank refusing it though is a dick in my book. It's up to them and they can't (and should absolutely not) be forced to have one of course but as we've seen since the start of this, some people don't 'get it'. I genuinely believe we would be at or even over a million deaths in the UK alone without lockdowns. As horrible and hard (and the ongoing torment) as they have been I think they were essential for the preservation of as many lives as possible. 

15 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

The worrying thing is, I think most people coped better with the first lockdown than the second one.

I think the figures back that! It got worse as the year wore on - that is the average for the year - the last quarter was almost 30% higher. 

And when the job losses get worse and economy tanks it could get even worse. If vaccines had of been a few years away we would have had a horrible choice. 

3 minutes ago, Jockey said:

I think the figures back that! It got worse as the year wore on - that is the average for the year - the last quarter was almost 30% higher. 

And when the job losses get worse and economy tanks it could get even worse. If vaccines had of been a few years away we would have had a horrible choice. 

Don't do it to yourself bro:

How it started

• There were 7,551 deaths registered in the UK in 2018 that related to alcohol-specific causes, lower than the previous year’s 7,697 deaths but still the second highest since the time series began in 2001.

How it's going

There were 7,423 deaths from alcohol misuse last year - a rise of 20% from 2019, the Office for National Statistics says.

Deaths increased from March 2020 onwards when the UK's coronavirus epidemic forced the first national lockdown.

27 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Since WW2 I would imagine in this country anyway. 

I haven't seen any figures on how many don't want to get vaccinated in the UK to be fair. Anyone point blank refusing it though is a dick in my book. It's up to them and they can't (and should absolutely not) be forced to have one of course but as we've seen since the start of this, some people don't 'get it'. I genuinely believe we would be at or even over a million deaths in the UK alone without lockdowns. As horrible and hard (and the ongoing torment) as they have been I think they were essential for the preservation of as many lives as possible. 

In the UK it is over 90% compliance. That was always the case to be honest. 

I am not sure over 1m is feasible - roughly, I think there are around 4m over 80 in the country and they accounted for 80% of deaths (i think). 

We don't know how big the economic and mental health hit will be at this point. I think the best we can say is that at the time it was the best decision. 

If I'd lost my life savings and business through this - I would be very angry at the moment!

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Don't do it to yourself bro:

How it started

• There were 7,551 deaths registered in the UK in 2018 that related to alcohol-specific causes, lower than the previous year’s 7,697 deaths but still the second highest since the time series began in 2001.

How it's going

There were 7,423 deaths from alcohol misuse last year - a rise of 20% from 2019, the Office for National Statistics says.

Deaths increased from March 2020 onwards when the UK's coronavirus epidemic forced the first national lockdown.

Hmm. Looks a lot worse as a percentage doesn't it? 

6 minutes ago, Jockey said:

In the UK it is over 90% compliance. That was always the case to be honest. 

I am not sure over 1m is feasible - roughly, I think there are around 4m over 80 in the country and they accounted for 80% of deaths (i think). 

We don't know how big the economic and mental health hit will be at this point. I think the best we can say is that at the time it was the best decision. 

If I'd opt my life savings and business through this - I would be very angry at the moment!

What??

No chance - may be wrong but I would guess the effective rate of vaccination in either the UK or the US never goes above 70%.

7 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

What??

No chance - may be wrong but I would guess the effective rate of vaccination in either the UK or the US never goes above 70%.

I think our rate of compliance is high. We always were high, and one of the highest - the anti-vax movement is niche here. 

We not the fucking French for goodness sake!

I'll have to get back to you with the stats - can't find them now! And I'm trying to watch Perry Mason.

58 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Serbia has hit the ceiling with about 30% and are now offering 25 euros to everyone who accepts vaccination. Some shopping malls are joining in with gift vouchers. Initial response seems pretty good.

9 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Serbia has hit the ceiling with about 30% and are now offering 25 euros to everyone who accepts vaccination. Some shopping malls are joining in with gift vouchers. Initial response seems pretty good.

Is the vaccine free there?

I cannot imagine someone's ethical stance on vaccine could be changed by 25 dineros. 

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Is the vaccine free there?

I cannot imagine someone's ethical stance on vaccine could be changed by 25 dineros. 

It's free for end users and they are even inviting people from other countries to come and get vaccinated if they want.

Ethical stances would probably be a bit more expensive in the US, but a combination of stick and carrot could do the trick.

9 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It's free for end users and they are even inviting people from other countries to come and get vaccinated if they want.

Ethical stances would probably be a bit more expensive in the US, but a combination of stick and carrot could do the trick.

OK - thats good.

Does Serbia have a Covid problem?

Give you how it is in Turkey now.

Total lockdown for expats means, stock up with supplies.

For Turks, go for a jog, walk round the village, mandatory mask? Fuck off.

Just want our life back 

Numbers will go down to allow tourists, 

It's a rich man's world.

Day seven, not been out the house.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

I don't get it. If they're so poor how can they afford to overdose on alcohol? I find buying a six pack per week to be draining on the finances. This isn't a joke BTW, I'm geniuinely surprised that people with little money can afford to buy that much alcohol.

20 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

I don't get it. If they're so poor how can they afford to overdose on alcohol? I find buying a six pack per week to be draining on the finances. This isn't a joke BTW, I'm geniuinely surprised that people with little money can afford to buy that much alcohol.

Isn’t it usually the case that people in shit circumstances have higher drug and alcohol abuse statistics? To escape their reality.
How they pay for it tends to be at the expense of everything else: ie material goods, healthy diet etc.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Give you how it is in Turkey now.

Total lockdown for expats means, stock up with supplies.

For Turks, go for a jog, walk round the village, mandatory mask? Fuck off.

Just want our life back 

Numbers will go down to allow tourists, 

It's a rich man's world.

Day seven, not been out the house.

You need to sort that shit out because Dalyan is on my list of places to holiday.   

• Upvote 2