You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What about the 98% of people who died from something else? Or the many, many people who have died or are going to die due to the effects of lockdown? Where's their respect?

If you want to devote our health service and all of our energy as a society to a disease that a fraction of a percentage of people die from (with), almost all of them morbidly old and/or sick already, then be honest about it. If the Nikki Grahames and Sarah Hardings of the world are acceptable collateral damage to you, then own it.

You want to pretend that the choices we have are good and bad when they're just a whole bunch of different bad ones. You want to make out that your bad choice is better than my bad choice, regardless of what happens in the real-world.

I'm fucking fed up of this shit.

Wow. Strawman central there. I'd be very surprised if Stig 'wants' any of that.

To pick on the obvious point amongst your crying- at the end of January, there were over 30 thousand people in hospital due to Covid. How on earth is our health service supposed to function with that level of hospitalisation due to a communicable disease? Why do you think that not locking down and stopping more people clogging up hospitals would be a good thing? No one's ever said lockdowns are 'good', they're what we and other governments had to do to avoid much worse scenarios.

So yes, in the circumstances we've been in, lockdowns are better than your choice, presuming it's do nothing and let the disease just spread. We've already seen the consequences of that in Brazil and India- tremendous suffering and the emergence of variants that put the pharmaceutical advances in vaccines and treatments back.

The telling thing about you is the italicised. You're just an absolutely horrible person.

When will you all learn that Strontium Dog is a selfish cunt that is simply mad he couldn't carry on with his normal life this past year? That's all that's going on here. When someone pretends lockdowns don't do anything and blames them for people dying of cancer and other diseases, when it's clearly the virus itself that is at fault for the extra strain and delays in the medical system, it's very easy to figure out those are false opinions because they're so unbelievably asinine. It's just a cover for his selfishness.

Same thing for people who protest lockdowns. They pretend to believe lockdowns are a conspiracy to control people when they're simply mad they can't go to the pub for a couple months. Just stop engaging. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mudface said:

No one's ever said lockdowns are 'good', they're what we and other governments had to do to avoid much worse scenarios.

Yeah, much worse scenarios like they had in Sweden and Japan, you've made yourself pretty clear by now.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

When will you all learn that Strontium Dog is a selfish cunt that is simply mad he couldn't carry on with his normal life this past year?

It's not about me you dopey twat.

44 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What about the 98% of people who died from something else? Or the many, many people who have died or are going to die due to the effects of lockdown? Where's their respect?

If you want to devote our health service and all of our energy as a society to a disease that a fraction of a percentage of people die from (with), almost all of them morbidly old and/or sick already, then be honest about it. If the Nikki Grahames and Sarah Hardings of the world are acceptable collateral damage to you, then own it.

You want to pretend that the choices we have are good and bad when they're just a whole bunch of different bad ones. You want to make out that your bad choice is better than my bad choice, regardless of what happens in the real-world.

What's your bad choice? Let it rip?  

Brazil don't look any happier, healthier or richer than us.  

What would your view on WW2 have been in 1942? "Pointless, give up, join them, the Germans look fine, it's just the genetically inferior and the sick who die, we'll mostly be fine. "

Obviously I'm impressing my own version of your possible thinking there, but genuinely, what would you have done in 1942?

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yeah, much worse scenarios like they had in Sweden and Japan, you've made yourself pretty clear by now.

No, much worse scenarios than we already had in the UK. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to grasp.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

It's not about me you dopey twat.

Of course it is. As 3 Stacks said, you're an easy read. A selfish, pompous cunt that's been found out repeatedly. 

• Downvote 1

17 minutes ago, Mudface said:

To pick on the obvious point amongst your crying- at the end of January, there were over 30 thousand people in hospital due to Covid. How on earth is our health service supposed to function with that level of hospitalisation due to a communicable disease? Why do you think that not locking down and stopping more people clogging up hospitals would be a good thing? No one's ever said lockdowns are 'good', they're what we and other governments had to do to avoid much worse scenarios.

The "let it rip" loons always overlook this point. As well as the fact that NHS staff can also contract Covid and become very dead or ill with it (those drawings of them in Superhero costumes weren't real, you know!) and that letting it rip would be extremely likely to cause increased hospital admissions AND increased NHS staff absences. 

A perfect storm. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

No, much worse scenarios than we already had in the UK. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for you to grasp.

Probably because the UK had it worse than every single country that didn't lock down. Yeah, that'll be it.

Of course it is. As 3 Stacks said, you're an easy read. A selfish, pompous cunt that's been found out repeatedly.

Ah, fuck off you complete imbecile.

If you have a fetish for oppressive government, that's your business. Go and live in North Korea, you'll fit in well.

Lockdown certainly worked in my community. We ran into a predictable wave after Christmas so we tightened things up and snuffed it out. We also had astoundingly good buy in from the whole community aside from a few jokers from a local evangelical church who made a habit of staging monthly protests at city hall. 

The effects are hard for sure but the alternatives were far worse. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If you have a fetish for oppressive government, that's your business. Go and live in North Korea, you'll fit in well.

Nobody like this. 

This oppression is duly noted but it's time-limited, you can feel the dissent and the malaise growing each day.  The vaccines are working, the stats are falling and falling, there was 1 death recorded today in a population of 60m, that's remarkable progress. We've reopened schools, we've got the economy starting to wind back up, we've got a great start on the vaccines pending more supply, we've got irons in fires in terms of developing effective treatments for Covid.  This is all drifting at pace towards a different phase of looking at this, and the role of government in our lives. 

I'm impatient, I'm tired mentally of this, but we cannot go back to shut schools and a winter of horrors again. I saw a fucking chiropractor last week. I was in a beer garden in the sunshine yesterday.  Bit by bit this fall's back into place, don't blow it now.  Read a few fucking books Stronts.  Write one. Go research a book on different Covid approaches and find a publisher.  I wish you the very best. 

5 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Probably because the UK had it worse than every single country that didn't lock down. Yeah, that'll be it.

Ah, fuck off you complete imbecile.

I have a fetish for competent, humane governments. Ones that allow a pandemic to run riot before panicking and having to introduce draconian measures before their health service is overrun are fucking awful. The only ones I can think of that are worse are those that would do nothing, especially for ideological reasons.

Just now, scottthecanuck said:

We're behind in vax % here in Canada but its reassuring to see how well its working out for the UK, hopefully we get there as well before much longer. 

It's really looking promising now. The big fear is that some variant from countries where it's still running wild takes hold and the current vaccines aren't effective. Hopefully vaccine hoarding by the richer countries doesn't come back to bite us in the arse.

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

When will you all learn that Strontium Dog is a selfish cunt that is simply mad he couldn't carry on with his normal life this past year? That's all that's going on here. When someone pretends lockdowns don't do anything and blames them for people dying of cancer and other diseases, when it's clearly the virus itself that is at fault for the extra strain and delays in the medical system, it's very easy to figure out those are false opinions because they're so unbelievably asinine. It's just a cover for his selfishness.

Same thing for people who protest lockdowns. They pretend to believe lockdowns are a conspiracy to control people when they're simply mad they can't go to the pub for a couple months. Just stop engaging. 

I'm not really advocating what Stronts has been posting, but to dumb down the effects of the past year to people being selfish cunts is very wrong and very annoying to read. It might be hard for someone in America to understand this but it's been illegal for a lot of people to see family members and friends since the end of last summer and a lot of people have been out of work in that period. I would never throw my hat in with the people organising those protests as they're generally far right groups but a lot of people that end up at them because they've been fucked over and end up being duped in that typical way the far right recruit people. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

It also has to be said that some people suffer more than others. My two kids are both at the same university and have thus been under the exact same restrictions and protocols. While it has been challenging for both it has been much much harder for my daughter who is very outgoing and social by nature. My son is somewhat introverted, very disciplined and phlegmatic. My daughter much more adventurous and wears her heart on her sleeve. 

It has been a real struggle for her while more of a distraction from his perspective. She talks about it constantly, follows the news and vents about the restrictions and can't wait for it to be over. It hasn't impacted my son's grades whatsoever but she has struggled academically for the first time in her life.  

People are too flippant about dismissing concerns on both sides but I guess that is just our nature. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

I'm not really advocating what Stronts has been posting, but to dumb down the effects of the past year to people being selfish cunts is very wrong and very annoying to read. It might be hard for someone in America to understand this but it's been illegal for a lot of people to see family members and friends since the end of last summer and a lot of people have been out of work in that period. I would never throw my hat in with the people organising those protests as they're generally far right groups but a lot of people that end up at them because they've been fucked over and end up being duped in that typical way the far right recruit people. 

Are you trying to be obtuse? SD just winds people up, It's incredibly apparent. He's a fucking idiot. He just said to someone "Go live in North Korea", ffs. 

And don't lecture me about the negatives of lockdown, I'm well fucking aware of them. One year + later from the start of this debacle and I'm in lockdown where I am right now because my Provincial government bungled the response this winter. So, fuck off with your patronizing shite. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

What a load of absolute shite that whole post is. I couldn't hug my mum in the last months of her life until she was on her death-bed because of this disease so don't try and patronise me or make things up like the liar that you are Selfish cunts more arsed that they've not been able to go for a pint with their mates will never understand one fucking bit the true impact for many people. What that doesn't mean is people should all have said no to lockdown when it SAVED LIVES! Dickheads. Just fuck off. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Are you trying to be obtuse? SD just winds people up, It's incredibly apparent. He's a fucking idiot. He just said to someone "Go live in North Korea", ffs. 

And don't lecture me about the negatives of lockdown, I'm well fucking aware of them. One year + later from the start of this debacle and I'm in lockdown where I am right now because my Provincial government bungled the response this winter. So, fuck off with your patronizing shite. 

I dont think you are personally, any lockdowns in the UK and Ireland especially have been far more tough and longer than most other places. I'm not trying to make this personal but I've been living in lockdown with the exception of two weeks at Christmas since the start of October. To dumb it down to people being 'unhappy about not going to the pub for a couple of months' at this stage of the pandemic is completely wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, RobbieOR said:

I dont think you are personally, any lockdowns in the UK and Ireland especially have been far more tough and longer than most other places. I'm not trying to make this personal but I've been living in lockdown with the exception of two weeks at Christmas since the start of October. To dumb it down to people being 'unhappy about not going to the pub for a couple of months' at this stage of the pandemic is completely wrong.

Nearly 135 thousand people have died due to this since it started in the UK and Ireland. It would be far more than that without any lockdowns as the spikes clearly showed. It's been shit for everyone but get some perspective. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Care to say why you negged that @Skidfingers McGonical I'm not arsed at a neg one bit or anyone disagreeing but come on what was wrong in that post? What did you disagree with? I know you were crying about masks in the middle of it all so I suspect you're one of the anti-lockdown brigade despite people dying in their thousands.