You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

13 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Are we STILL doing the Sweden didn't lockdown/carried on as normal lie? 

Why is it a lie? Genuine question, as we have friends over there and their life pretty much cracked on as usual it seemed

12 minutes ago, belarus said:

Why is it a lie? Genuine question, as we have friends over there and their life pretty much cracked on as usual it seemed

Also search my posts mentioning "Sweden" using the search facility. There's a couple more links to show that loads of recorded measures like traffic volume, ATM usage, theatre numbers etc all dropped significantly which it's claimed are indicative of people adapting their behaviour in response to covid and, therefore, not just carrying on as normal. Plus, just mentioning death data also ignores the long covid issue in Sweden, which was deemed serious enough to warrant a news piece, the link for which can be found using the above mentioned search criteria. 

7 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

That article clearly says that they had voluntary restrictions and people changed their behaviour, rather than a lockdown, so it’s not a lie.

Our mates over there were out for food and beers all the way through. That’s not a lockdown.

Bit of a strange article that one you posted. Ties itself in knots trying to make a point I’m not quite sure of, aside from the twisting of having voluntary restrictions means a lockdown. It doesn’t - businesses were still open if those chose to be and people could go to them if they chose to as well.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/International/sweden-avoided-covid-19-lockdown-strategy-worked/story%3fid=76047258

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Also search my posts mentioning "Sweden" using the search facility. There's a couple more links to show that loads of recorded measures like traffic volume, ATM usage, theatre numbers etc all dropped significantly which it's claimed are indicative of people adapting their behaviour in response to covid and, therefore, not just carrying on as normal. Plus, just mentioning death data also ignores the long covid issue in Sweden, which was deemed serious enough to warrant a news piece, the link for which can be found using the above mentioned search criteria. 

I just don’t see why it’s a lie that they swerved lockdown. I really don’t get the argument over it either or how it proves one point or another. 

1 minute ago, belarus said:

I just don’t see why it’s a lie that they swerved lockdown. I really don’t get the argument over it either or how it proves one point or another. 

I think it depends on how we interpret the term "lockdown."

Largely following government recommendations instead of having to have them imposed on you is still pretty much the same thing, irrespective of the tag attached to it. The lie is in the implication that Sweden carried on as normal. They didn't. A small group of people you know and anecdotal claims aren't "Sweden" and the recorded data indicates that there was a sizeable reduction in typical everyday activity in the country, which can be added to the state mandated measures introduced too (https://www.krisinformation.se/en/hazards-and-risks/disasters-and-incidents/2020/official-information-on-the-new-coronavirus/restriktioner-och-forbud

5 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I think it depends on how we interpret the term "lockdown."

Largely following government recommendations instead of having to have them imposed on you is still pretty much the same thing, irrespective of the tag attached to it. The lie is in the implication that Sweden carried on as normal. They didn't. A small group of people you know and anecdotal claims aren't "Sweden" and the recorded data indicates that there was a sizeable reduction in typical everyday activity in the country, which can be added to the state mandated measures introduced too (https://www.krisinformation.se/en/hazards-and-risks/disasters-and-incidents/2020/official-information-on-the-new-coronavirus/restriktioner-och-forbud

Yeah, I agree that measures were taken, but they were entirely voluntary. If you wanted to stay out the way, you did. We had a full lockdown in the UK and they definitely didn’t have that in Sweden. We are not in lockdown now, but have more restrictions in place than Sweden still. Sweden were never in a lockdown - it’s not a lie. The economic and behavioural changes that were seen were a natural response to being told there was a killer virus kicking about.

I’m struggling to see what the point score angle even is with this one. Has there been some Twitter row about it where people have been slinging thicko insults at each other or something?

The Sweden issue is relevant because it highlights the cherry picking and downright dishonesty exhibited by the selfish right wing and libertarian "you can prematurely take our ill and old but you'll never take our freedom" idiots. These clowns have always cited Sweden with the intention of

backing up their desire to just let things carry on as before with no restrictions at all, with the implication being that that's what Sweden did. Even though it's crystal clear that they didn't do anything like that. They're such stupid, slimy liars. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, belarus said:

I’m struggling to see what the point score angle even is with this one. Has there been some Twitter row about it where people have been slinging thicko insults at each other or something?

Some people are trying desperately to import US-style culture wars into this country. In the US, anti-mask and anti-lockdown policies are associated more with Republicans, so wannabe culture warriors have adopted it as a cause, regardless of the indisputable fact that countries which didn't lockdown or force masks on people suffered less than us. It's pretty funny.

2 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Some people are trying desperately to import US-style culture wars into this country. In the US, anti-mask and anti-lockdown policies are associated more with Republicans, so wannabe culture warriors have adopted it as a cause, regardless of the indisputable fact that countries which didn't lockdown or force masks on people suffered less than us. It's pretty funny.

Can you explain why in the uk cases dropped after lockdowns began but spiked when lockdowns were lifted? 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Can you explain why in the uk cases dropped after lockdowns began but spiked when lockdowns were lifted? 

I already addressed this the other day, when I pointed out that cases in Sweden rose and dropped at exactly the same time as cases here.

Can you explain that? Perhaps our lockdown was so powerful it affected everyone in Sweden too.

4 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I already addressed this the other day, when I pointed out that cases in Sweden rose and dropped at exactly the same time as cases here.

Can you explain that? Perhaps our lockdown was so powerful it affected everyone in Sweden too.

I'm asking you about the UK. Explain it go on. Squirm out of the facts that lockdown worked in the uk and SAVED LIVES you selfish brat. 

9 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm asking you about the UK. Explain it go on. Squirm out of the facts that lockdown worked in the uk and SAVED LIVES you selfish brat. 

Yes, I know you're asking about the UK. Which is why pointing out that cases rose and fall in Sweden at exactly the same time, despite them not locking down, is powerful evidence that the effect of lockdowns was negligible. Are you honestly so dense that you didn't understand that extremely simple point?

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Yes, I know you're asking about the UK. Which is why pointing out that cases rose and fall in Sweden at exactly the same time, despite them not locking down, is powerful evidence that the effect of lockdowns was negligible. Are you honestly so dense that you didn't understand that extremely simple point?

I understand it but you are clearly either too thick to be able to answer my question or too arrogant to address it because it puts paid to your uneducated lies and bullshit. You haven't got a fucking clue. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I understand it but you are clearly either too thick to be able to answer my question or too arrogant to address it because it puts paid to your uneducated lies and bullshit. You haven't got a fucking clue. 

If you understood the point, you'd know the question has ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED.

Okay, let's try it another way. If implementing lockdown is responsible for deaths dropping in the UK, and lifting the lockdown is responsible for deaths rising in the UK, why did deaths rise and fall in Sweden at exactly the same time?

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

If you understood the point, you'd know the question has ALREADY BEEN ANSWERED.

Okay, let's try it anotherway. If implementing lockdown is responsible for deaths dropping in the UK, and lifting the lockdown is responsible for deaths rising in the UK, why did deaths rise and fall in Sweden at exactly the same time?

I haven''t seen that answer or I don't remember it so answer it again. 

You are comparing a country with a population density of 275 people per square km to a country with 25.4 people per square km. Exactly the same time? What was 'exactly' the same? Nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I haven''t seen that answer or I don't remember it so answer it again. 

You are comparing a country with a population density of 275 people per square km to a country with 25.4 people per square km. Exactly the same time? What was 'exactly' the same? Nothing. 

What was exactly the same is that cases rose and fell in Sweden at exactly the same time as they did here.

The (misleading, already debunked) point about population density is irelevant here.

If lockdown is responsible for the rise and fall in cases, why did they rise and fall in Sweden at exactly the same time as us when they never locked down?