You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

I went up to my old cricket club yesterday, saw loads of people who I’ve not seen for

ages.  Almost to a man they said how tough they’ve found it, lots of tough ‘mens men’ talking about their mental health was strange but in a good way.  

Same - although I’m sure it’s not the same cricket club. Lovely day, watching a bit of cricket with a few friends over a drink or twelve. Some have had it harder than others but, to a man, we all found yesterday a real tonic. 

I try to talk less about it now, I think I’ve said all I need to say, but it’s great to hear friends being less self conscious about sharing their struggles. I know, for some of them, that’s a huge change. Hopefully I really listen, not just hear the words.

• Upvote 1

Yeah hopefully we can get to some kind of new normal in a few months. Even just being able to walk down the street and go into a shop unplanned will be a joy for a while. So many small things we take for granted, which we hopefully won’t when this is somewhat past us. 

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Digital certificate as proof you've been vaccinated maybe on the cards. Personally I'm livid. Wheres my vaccination you cunts, too late to get a second dose now anyway in time. Thank god its difficult to get hold of semi automatic weapons over here.

Isn't the plan that you only need an LFT negative result for equivalence? Or if you've had it provide an antibody test result? 

Have they actually proved yet that vaccinated or people who have antibodies can't pass it on? 

41 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Isn't the plan that you only need an LFT negative result for equivalence? Or if you've had it provide an antibody test result? 

Have they actually proved yet that vaccinated or people who have antibodies can't pass it on? 

I had covid in January so I think that is to far away for the acceptable antibody tests. I get tested a few times week anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

Funny how Hancock was left in the shadows the last 2/3 weeks since the stuff came out about him making money out of death. I will smack him one day. I'm certain of it. 

Ha. I was out with my mate on Monday dropping leaflets in the area that he’s a paper candidate in. I mentioned Hancock’s name and he told me he can’t believe he hasn’t punched him yet. He’s obviously not gonna smack him but he’s had plenty of opportunities! I’m pretty sure half of the adult population in this country would like to slap the twat. 

He’s the reason I won’t go to any election counts round here. His creepy, smug face, gloating about Tories winning in safe Tory seats would send my blood pressure through the fucking roof. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Ha. I was out with my mate on Monday dropping leaflets in the area that he’s a paper candidate in. I mentioned Hancock’s name and he told me he can’t believe he hasn’t punched him yet. He’s obviously not gonna smack him but he’s had plenty of opportunities! I’m pretty sure half of the adult population in this country would like to slap the twat. 

He’s the reason I won’t go to any election counts round here. His creepy, smug face, gloating about Tories winning in safe Tory seats would send my blood pressure through the fucking roof. 

Might have to plan a night at yours mate. I'd do time to knock that twat clean out. 

Sobering study on the ‘longer’ as in 6 months longer term effects on having had COVID-19. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-021-03553-9

actual study is in the psd linked in the article. 

High-dimensional characterization of post-acute sequalae of COVID-19

Nature (2021)Cite this article

Abstract

The acute clinical manifestations of COVID-19 are well characterized1,2; however, its post-acute sequalae have not been comprehensively described. Here, we use the national healthcare databases of the US Department of Veterans Affairs to systematically and comprehensively identify 6-month incident sequalae including diagnoses, medication use, and laboratory abnormalities in 30-day survivors of COVID-19. We show that beyond the first 30 days of illness, people with COVID-19 exhibit higher risk of death and health resource utilization. Our high dimensional approach identifies incident sequalae in the respiratory system and several others including nervous system and neurocognitive disorders, mental health disorders, metabolic disorders, cardiovascular disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, malaise, fatigue, musculoskeletal pain, and anemia. We show increased incident use of several therapeutics including pain medications (opioids and non-opioids), antidepressants, anxiolytics, antihypertensives, and oral hypoglycemics and evidence of laboratory abnormalities in multiple organ systems. Analysis of an array of pre-specified outcomes reveals a risk gradient that increased across severity of the acute COVID-19 infection (non-hospitalized, hospitalized, admitted to intensive care). The findings show that beyond the acute illness, substantial burden of health loss — spanning pulmonary and several extrapulmonary organ systems — is experienced by COVID-19 survivors. The results provide a roadmap to inform health system planning and development of multidisciplinary care strategies to reduce chronic health loss among COVID-19 survivors

3 minutes ago, SasaS said:

They are dying because it is peaking now in India.

So you are saying it will probably be gone by winter, nobody will die of covid after 21st December? Will you be man enough to admit if you are wrong? I suspect you will be. 

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

So you are saying it will probably be gone by winter, nobody will die of covid after 21st December? Will you be man enough to admit if you are wrong? I suspect you will be. 

I do wish we'd get our seasonal dates aligned.  It would make the virus's job a lot less confusing and more efficient.

Dec 1 is summer here.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

I can only guess, but judging by trends in best vaccinated countries, it should be. Number of globally administered vaccine doses is already over one billion and it will speed up. I expect at least 4 billion more will be administered by late December. It won't be eradicated but it may be reduced to a seasonal epidemic with much lower incidence and considerably lower death rate. Unless there is some super-variant which will obliterate everything that has been achieved.