You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

2 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

As a child of the 80s I was schooled early on the dubious quality of Chinese goods, if I wouldn't buy one of their cowboy sets from Speke market, I'll be damned if I was gonna pump their shit into my arm.

I can tell I’m older than you because it was made in Hong Kong or Taiwan instead of China when I was a kid. This was before Tianaman Square happened and the Chinese communist party decided to become the world’s workhouse.

5 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Your “all common sense” and Sage plausible scenarios aren’t the same thing though. And failure of public health management is more likely under this government than any in my lifetime. It ain’t over ‘til it’s over. 

You could very well be right (I actually agree with you) but it’s not as cut and dried as people might think. Look at what’s happening in Brazil with younger people. 

Absolutely anything can fuck up and if anyone is going to do it, Johnson and this crowd of corrupt bastards will manage it. But I think we're getting to a point with the vaccinations that unless there's a vaccine proof variant coming along, even these fuckwits can't balls it up from here. 

• Upvote 1

Can’t remember where I saw it sadly, but yesterday marked the end of the most stringent personal lockdowns and closures, not borders obviously, though they would have shortened them significantly.

England has been under 158 days of the most restrictive lockdowns, the longest in the world.

So, we have, one of the largest death counts, one of the worst economic retractions and fall outs and the longest and most unnecessary lockdowns. 

Just as headlines that should see a government fall.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Can’t remember where I saw it sadly, but yesterday marked the end of the most stringent personal lockdowns and closures, not borders obviously, though they would have shortened them significantly.

England has been under 158 days of the most restrictive lockdowns, the longest in the world.

So, we have, one of the largest death counts, one of the worst economic retractions and fall outs and the longest and most unnecessary lockdowns. 

What about the Christmas break? 

15 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

What about the Christmas break? 

Not continuous days, days under full restriction since the plague started.

The Christams 'break' led to more restrictions and deaths.

This doesn't cover the tier and lifting at times which were still heavily restricted, no other country has spent more time in 'full lockdown' mode.

Then obviously you have Leicester and Manchester, and others, which faced more stringent restrictions which were akin to full lockdown.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

It could have been worse. 

Eritrea

In North East Africa, the country of Eritrea has placed some of world’s strictest measures to curb the coronavirus. Since April 1, 2020, the country, home to about 6.3 million people, has been under total lockdown.

According to the index, schools are closed, only essential workplaces are open and all public transport has ceased. In December the country banned the use of private cars and “other individual means of transportation,” without a permit. All borders remain shut and there are restrictions on gatherings of more than 11 people.

Police and neighborhood watch groups enforce the rules, and residents have been warned additional restrictions are possible.

Lebanon

Lebanon also has one of the highest lockdown measures, with public events canceled, strict stay-at-home measures, and even permits required to go to the supermarket.

Restrictions are in place to prevent group gatherings, and work-from-home measures remain in place for some sectors.

Lebanon has now received its first batch of coronavirus vaccines, ahead of a nationwide campaign to start vaccinations in the Mediterranean country. It has seen a sharp rise in cases and fatalities in recent weeks.

Venezuela

On the northern coast of South America, Venezuela – home to about 28.5 million people – also has some of the highest lockdown measure in place.

All schools – from primary to higher education – remain closed and all workplaces not deemed essential are shut. Public events also remain canceled and stay-at home measures are firmly in case, with only strict exceptions permitted.

Battered by years of economic crisis, the country’s President Nicolas Maduro ordered a national quarantine days after the first cases of COVID-19 were recorded last March.

https://english.alarabiya.net/coronavirus/2021/02/24/Coronavirus-From-Eritrea-to-Tanzania-the-world-s-strictest-and-most-relaxed-lockdowns

12 minutes ago, Poster said:

It could have been worse. 

Eritrea

In North East Africa, the country of Eritrea has placed some of world’s strictest measures to curb the coronavirus. Since April 1, 2020, the country, home to about 6.3 million people, has been under total lockdown.

According to the index, schools are closed, only essential workplaces are open and all public transport has ceased. In December the country banned the use of private cars and “other individual means of transportation,” without a permit. All borders remain shut and there are restrictions on gatherings of more than 11 people.

Police and neighborhood watch groups enforce the rules, and residents have been warned additional restrictions are possible.

Lebanon

Lebanon also has one of the highest lockdown measures, with public events canceled, strict stay-at-home measures, and even permits required to go to the supermarket.

Restrictions are in place to prevent group gatherings, and work-from-home measures remain in place for some sectors.

Lebanon has now received its first batch of coronavirus vaccines, ahead of a nationwide campaign to start vaccinations in the Mediterranean country. It has seen a sharp rise in cases and fatalities in recent weeks.

Venezuela

On the northern coast of South America, Venezuela – home to about 28.5 million people – also has some of the highest lockdown measure in place.

All schools – from primary to higher education – remain closed and all workplaces not deemed essential are shut. Public events also remain canceled and stay-at home measures are firmly in case, with only strict exceptions permitted.

Battered by years of economic crisis, the country’s President Nicolas Maduro ordered a national quarantine days after the first cases of COVID-19 were recorded last March.

https://english.alarabiya.net/coronavirus/2021/02/24/Coronavirus-From-Eritrea-to-Tanzania-the-world-s-strictest-and-most-relaxed-lockdowns

Not really, we have one of the highest death counts in the world, the biggest economic contraction of any developed nation, the longest and most stringent, and could be argued enforced by incompetence, lockdowns in the world.

Billions syphened off to friends, disastrous leadership and one of the worst reactions to the plague of any country on the planet.

Most of the stuff above we have done and should have done and saying Eritrea’s borders are closed is a misnomer as they’re always closed as the dictator is a fucking headcase, it’s one of the most repressive regimes in the planet not in plague times.

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Not really, we have one of the highest death counts as in the world, the biggest economic contraction of any developed nation, the longest and most stringent, and could be argued for enforced by incompetence, lockdowns in the world.

Billions syphened off to friends, disastrous leadership and one of the worst reactions to the plague of any country on the planet.

Most of the stuff above we have done and should have done and saying Eritrea’s borders are closer is a misnomer as they’re always closed as the dictator is a fucking headcase, it’s one of the most repressive regimes in the planet not in plague times.

I didn't claim 'longest' or most 'restrictive' you did. I doubt any of the people in those countries were paid 80% of their wage to stay at home, or given laptops to work from home.

However it's hardly an achievement to come 4th to these countries and the government should hold their heads in shame. They will get away with it all of course, any subsequent reviews will find exactly what they want them to find and ministers will resign to be appointed in other areas in 6 months. 

3 minutes ago, Poster said:

I didn't claim 'longest' or most 'restrictive' you did.

However it's hardly an achievement to come 4th to these countries and the government should hold their heads in shame. They will get away with it all of course, any subsequent reviews will find exactly what they want them to find and ministers will resign to be appointed in other areas in 6 months. 

Next time, check dates, that’s from a couple of months back...

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Next time, check dates, from a couple of months back...

Will do thanks. You are still not correct, but hopefully we can agree that it's a national disgrace where we are. If I could trust the government to investigate this property we might find many contributing factors to our disgraceful death toll, not just the incompetence of the government. I'm being generous with 'incompetence' as I believe they knew sending the vulnerable to care homes would likely kill them.

20 minutes ago, Poster said:

Will do thanks. You are still not correct, but hopefully we can agree that it's a national disgrace where we are. If I could trust the government to investigate this property we might find many contributing factors to our disgraceful death toll, not just the incompetence of the government. I'm being generous with 'incompetence' as I believe they knew sending the vulnerable to care homes would likely kill them.

OK, the longest and most stringent of any nation, easier to say developed, that should have known better that is not a dictatorship run by a full on lunatic, a country who doesn't really know who the leader is and Lebanon, whose parliament resigned part way through.

We good now?

Edit: This is really intersting actually, it's the visual breakdown.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-lockdowns/

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

OK, the longest and most stringent of any nation, easier to say developed, that should have known better that is not a dictatorship run by a full on lunatic, a country who doesn't really know who the leader is and Lebanon, whose parliament resigned part way through.

We good now?

Edit: This is really intersting actually, it's the visual breakdown.

https://ig.ft.com/coronavirus-lockdowns/

Yeah that’s better.

5 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Just live your lives.

Since March last year my family has lost a loved one to a fall, my Dad was diagnosed with Alzeihmers and my younger sister has been diagnosed with cancer. No Covid in sight.

You don't know what is around the corner so just go out there and live.

Feel for you mate, That's a lot of shite to put up with.

Best wishes to you and yours.

12 minutes ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Just live your lives.

Since March last year my family has lost a loved one to a fall, my Dad was diagnosed with Alzeihmers and my younger sister has been diagnosed with cancer. No Covid in sight.

You don't know what is around the corner so just go out there and live.

Sorry to hear about all that fella. Terrible year. 

Mass testing going on in South London after 70 cases South African variant came to light.  Evidence emerging it can evade the vaccines even people with both shots.  Government  showing its concern by lifting lockdown measures.

No way are we done with this virus any time soon . I reckon we will see some lowering of expectations soon enough followed by increased chatter about the need for a 3rd dose of a "tweaked" vaccine, maybe even another lockdown in the autumn.