You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Always think it's shitty when people post stuff like queues at Primark on social media.

Big fucking wow, people have been under house arrest for months at the cost of their mental and physical health and now they're legally allowed to do something. They're so sad, unlike me who hangs out of windows filming queues on my phone and posting it on twitter.

The amount of judgment that's been passed on others during this pandemic is fucking shit, people with money and gardens and families passing judgement on people who are holed up in tomb-like student digs or flats, or people losing their marbles because they haven't spoken to anyone for weeks or months.

Everyone is fighting a battle here, as long as they're not deliberately placing people in danger they should be left the fuck alone.

• Upvote 5

On 09/02/2021 at 17:57, chrisbonnie said:

i saw a figure recently where in Delhi, India, a city of 20 million, they're only reporting 100-300 new cases every day. 

Is the virus fizzling out over there or what the fuck? 

I really hope its fizzling out, this is draining. its like entering a 5k fun run but every time you get close to the end some cunt adds another 5k onto it. Its never ending.

Our youngest has her 2nd birthday in 2 weeks, we just figured out she's yet to play with a child of her age. I actually find that worrying to be honest.

Just coming back to this one, looks they are now getting hit really hard.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40263839.html

India overtakes Brazil as second-worst hit country amid pandemic

India overtakes Brazil as second-worst hit country amid pandemic A policeman tries to ensure people wear face masks at a Sunday market in Jammu (AP)

MON, 12 APR, 2021 - 08:10
AP REPORTERS

India has reported another record daily surge in coronavirus infections to overtake Brazil as the second-worst hit country in the world.

The 168,912 cases added in the last 24 hours pushed India’s total to 13.5 million, while Brazil has 13.4 million, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University in the US.

India also reported 904 deaths in the past 24 hours, taking its total to 170,179, which is the fourth highest toll behind the United States, Brazil and Mexico.

2.59121186.jpg?w=640

Vendors wearing face masks as a precaution against the coronavirus hold garlands for sale at a busy marketplace in Bengaluru (AP)

India is experiencing its worst surge of the pandemic, with a seven-day rolling average of more than 130,000 cases per day.

Hospitals across the country are becoming overwhelmed with patients, and experts worry the worst is yet to come.

The latest surge also coincides with the shortage of vaccines in some Indian states, including western Maharashtra state, home to financial capital Mumbai, which is the worst-hit state and has recorded nearly half of the country’s new infections in the past two weeks.

2.59142110.jpg?w=640 Devotees take holy dips in the river Ganges during Shahi snan or a Royal bath at Kumbh mela (AP)

Meanwhile, tens of thousands of Hindu devotees gathered by the Ganges River for special prayers, many of them flouting social distancing practices despite the spread of the virus.

The Kumbh Mela, or pitcher festival, is one of the most sacred pilgrimages in Hinduism.

People who take a dip in the river believe it will absolve them of their sins and deliver them from the cycle of birth and death.

Critics of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Hindu-nationalist party say the festival was allowed because the government was not willing to anger the party’s biggest supporters.

19 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

First day back in work today after 2 months off with it, ruined me physically and mentally but i'm over the worst now fingers crossed.

Good luck today mate, hope it flies and you feel great later 

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Ezekiel 25:17 said:

First day back in work today after 2 months off with it, ruined me physically and mentally but i'm over the worst now fingers crossed.

This is why I don't get how people can be so blasé about it. Glad you're on the mend, anyway

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

I was in town earlier on the way to lime Street heading to London. It was really lively. People sitting outside coffee shops, pubs preparing to open, shops opening, people going to shop and I assume work. The train down was as full as I've seen since the start of the pandemic and I had to go up and down a bit between lockdown 1 & 2. It certainly felt the closest to normal since all this shit began. 

6 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The news coming out of Chile doesn’t look good. High levels of vaccination and now being hit by a third wave. When will this thing fuck off?

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/chile-covid-cases-vaccinations-record-surge-949038

Yeah very worrying. I thought they were handing it pretty well over there. 

4 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The news coming out of Chile doesn’t look good. High levels of vaccination and now being hit by a third wave. When will this thing fuck off?

A large percentage of people in intensive care in Brazil are now under forty and that variant is insanely infectious.

Bonus!

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Just seen a video of Bold street on Instagram. Looks very lively. Great to see. Just pray that in a few weeks rates stay low and we get evidence that this bastard is easing off.

Numbers in Liverpool are incredibly low now. It seems pretty reasonable things are opening now. I don't think I'm in a hurry to get inside a shop, but I'll certainly be taking advantage of outside drinking. Here's the Liverpool numbers from Friday. 

Screenshot_20210412-130921.jpg

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Numbers in Liverpool are incredibly low now. It seems pretty reasonable things are opening now. I don't think I'm in a hurry to get inside a shop, but I'll certainly be taking advantage of outside drinking. Here's the Liverpool numbers from Friday. 

Screenshot_20210412-130921.jpg

Yeah the stats look decent mate but all that is right now is evidence that lockdown has helped. If they are like that in 4 weeks I'll learn how to cartwheel. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

https://inews.co.uk/opinion/chile-covid-cases-vaccinations-record-surge-949038

Yeah very worrying. I thought they were handing it pretty well over there. 

You would hope reading that, that because we have vaccines that provide decent protection after the 1st jab, we'll get through ok. 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Chile, Hungary and Serbia relied largely on Sinopharm for their numbers, which apparently takes longer to develop antibodies and one shot does not offer the same protection. Also, it takes a while. UK had it's third way a couple of months ago.

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah the stats look decent mate but all that is right now is evidence that lockdown has helped. If they are like that in 4 weeks I'll learn how to cartwheel. 

I think those low numbers in the older age groups indicate the vaccine is doing it's thing, along with the benefits of lockdown. The other important stat of course are hospital levels - which even when people are positive they'll avoid hospital. This from the same report, although a little short on detail. 

Screenshot_20210412-132000.jpg

7 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Chile, Hungary and Serbia relied largely on Sinopharm for their numbers, which apparently takes longer to develop antibodies and one shot does not offer the same protection. Also, it takes a while. UK had it's third way a couple of months ago.

Hopefully you’re right. I’m not sure if it’s that simple but time will tell. 

18 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

The article pretty much says that though doesn't it? 

I meant in the sense that it remains to be seen what happens as we open everything up. We could feasibly still go back to where we were in January. From a Guardian article about Chile/Israel...

But the UK can easily blow it. Prof Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, has said there will definitely be another surge in coronavirus when the UK comes out of lockdown. What is unclear is how bad the resurgence will be and when it will peak. Documents released on Monday by the government’s Sage experts suggest a third wave could peak in late July or August, with one pessimistic but plausible scenario anticipating a situation as severe as that experienced in January when half of all UK Covid deaths occurred. A major driver for that bleak outcome would be if the AstraZeneca vaccine turns out to be less effective at reducing infection, limiting its impact on the spread of the disease.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/06/israel-and-chile-both-led-on-covid-jabs-so-why-is-one-back-in-lockdown

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I meant in the sense that it remains to be seen what happens as we open everything up. From a Gaurdian article about Chile/Israel...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/06/israel-and-chile-both-led-on-covid-jabs-so-why-is-one-back-in-lockdown

I'm sure the number of cases will surge. I'm not sure when the majority of the population vaccinated that will any longer be the measurement. In previous waves they've been able to derive expected hospitalisations from the number of cases. But with the vaccine seemingly all but preventing hospitalisations, a third wave seems pretty unlikely to replicate what we've seen before. Clearly there's loads of unknown unknowns. But all common sense tells us that the worst is over and Whitty was also on record agreeing with the statement that if we end up back on lockdown it will be a failure of public health management. We should end back in any type of lockdown. Because Chile are using a different vaccine, they clearly are on a different journey. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm sure the number of cases will surge. I'm not sure when the majority of the population vaccinated that will any longer be the measurement. In previous waves they've been able to derive expected hospitalisations from the number of cases. But with the vaccine seemingly all but preventing hospitalisations, a third wave seems pretty unlikely to replicate what we've seen before. Clearly there's loads of unknown unknowns. But all common sense tells us that the worst is over and Whitty was also on record agreeing with the statement that if we end up back on lockdown it will be a failure of public health management. We should end back in any type of lockdown. Because Chile are using a different vaccine, they clearly are on a different journey. 

Your “all common sense” and Sage plausible scenarios aren’t the same thing though. And failure of public health management is more likely under this government than any in my lifetime. It ain’t over ‘til it’s over. 

You could very well be right (I actually agree with you) but it’s not as cut and dried as people might think. Look at what’s happening in Brazil with younger people. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Chile have been using the Chinese vaccine apparently......

As a child of the 80s I was schooled early on the dubious quality of Chinese goods, if I wouldn't buy one of their cowboy sets from Speke market, I'll be damned if I was gonna pump their shit into my arm.

• Upvote 3