You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

https://www.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/link-between-astrazeneca-jab-and-blood-clots-ema-vaccine-chief-40280575.html

There is a link between the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine and blood clots according to a senior official in the European Medicines Agency (EMA).

EMA’s head of vaccines Marco Cavaleri told Italian newspaper Il Messaggero:

“In my opinion, we can say it now, it is clear there is a link with the vaccine. But we still do not know what causes this reaction,” he said.

“In the next few hours, we will say that there is a connection, but we still have to understand how this happens.”

Use of the AstraZeneca vaccine was temporarily halted in many countries in March after several cases of blood clots were found in Norway.

Ireland was one of those countries that suspended the rollout of the vaccine.

However, the EMA then conducted an investigation into the vaccine, and found that the benefits outweigh the risks and it should continue to be used.

But it added that a causal link between clots and the vaccine is possible and the EMA is expected to provide an updated assessment on the investigation this week.

So far in Ireland, over 203,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have currently been administered.

Mr Cavaleri said they are still trying to understand where exactly this link comes from.

“We are trying to get a precise picture of what is happening, to define in detail this syndrome due to the vaccine,” he said.

“Among the vaccinated, there are more cases of cerebral thrombosis ... among young people than we would expect.”

An investigation is also underway in the UK, where researchers are looking at the possibility of links between the AstraZeneca vaccine and rare blood clots. Many countries have already begun to restrict the use of the vaccine in younger people.

In total, the UK has ordered 457 million doses, of which 100 million are from AstraZeneca. Should the UK government restrict access to AstraZeneca, the speed of their vaccine rollout could be greatly slowed down.

The UK’s health agency has identified 30 cases of rare blood clot events out of 18.1 million doses of the jab administered up to and including 24 March. There have been seven deaths among the 30 cases.

But the regulator said the benefits of the vaccine in preventing coronavirus outweigh any risks and it urged the public to continue coming forward for the jab.

Oh great. Give the anti-vaxx wankers more ammo to spout their colander shagging karen bollocks. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/astrazeneca-vaccine-young-blood-clots-b1827914.html

Young people under the age of 30 in the UK will be offered an alternative to the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine as evidence emerges of a link between the jab and extremely rare blood clots.

The government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation has said that healthy adults aged between 18 and 29-years-old, who have no underlying health conditions or risks from Coronavirus, should be offered an alternative vaccine, where available, when the UK’s vaccine roll out is widened to the rest of the population.

It comes as the UK medicines regulator said there had been 79 cases of blood clots associated with low platelet cells in the blood, a condition known as thrombocytopenia.

Of those 79 cases, 19 people have died of which three were aged under 30.

Someone joked on here a few days back that now Liverpool Council had been partially taken over by the Tories and central government it would be the first to have vaccine passport testing.

Yeah, it’s happening...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/07/liverpool-comedy-club-hot-water-government-covid-trial-backlash

19 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Someone joked on here a few days back that now Liverpool Council had been partially taken over by the Tories and central government it would be the first to have vaccine passport testing.

Yeah, it’s happening...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/07/liverpool-comedy-club-hot-water-government-covid-trial-backlash

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hot-water-comedy-club-pulls-20332339

Apparently they weren't even in discussions about vaccine passports. 

20 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/hot-water-comedy-club-pulls-20332339

Apparently they weren't even in discussions about vaccine passports. 

Yeah, that’s not the interesting part, the interesting part is last paragraph.

Other smaller venues in Liverpool are also taking part including Circus nightclub and Luna cinema. Liverpool council, which was chosen for the pilot in part owing to its role in a trial of mass testing last year, has stressed that vaccine passports are not being tested.’

Don't know what is happening over there, but 4000 deaths is the equivalent of about 1250 deaths in the UK, which was recording deaths above that figure for about five weeks in January early February, when the new Kent variant was dominant.

55 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

That makes very grim reading. I wonder how much the humidity over there makes a difference on top of obviously the new train and the lack of government handle over it. 

Makes a mockery of the idea that it's a winter virus and isn't a problem in a warm environment. 

On the Brazilian variant, I'm somewhat suspicious of how thorough Brazil has been in counting deaths until now.  It's a massive country and there are third world areas of it, coupled with a government that hasn't exactly been encouraging municipalities to properly count, or find, cases. 

On the AZ vaccine, that's fucked up.  Top tip, always turn down the thing made in Britain.  Fucking lying bastards told us it was all perfectly safe.  Now it's not.  Now it can kill a healthy person.  But people will say "yeah but it's less dangerous than Covid", to which I'd reply "But it's more dangerous than the mRNA vaccines, so I want that". 

Absolute cunts.  And their data on this is deeply flawed because they haven't got a lot of real world data on people aged under 50 who have been vaccinated.  They have handfuls of data from pockets of at-risk or key-worker jobs. They don't know what they don't know. 

And the clotting is the tip of the iceberg.  People die with clotting when the clot becomes big.  But what percentage of us have underlying clotting on a smaller scale that may become a problem in 3 years, or 17 years?  They know this thing is dangerous, they just don't know quite how dangerous it is, which is a fucking scandal. 

By 31 March 20.2 million doses of the COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca had been given in the UK.  

Up to and including 31 March 2021, the MHRA had received 79 UK reports of blood clotting cases alongside low levels of platelets following the use of the COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca:

44 of the 79 cases were of CVST with thrombocytopenia
35 of the 79 cases were of thrombosis in other major veins with thrombocytopenia
79 cases occurred in 51 women and 28 men, aged from 18 to 79 years. It should be noted that more women have been vaccinated with COVID-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca than men.
Sadly, 19 people have died out of the 79 cases – 13 females and 6 males. 11 out of the 19 people who died were under the age of 50, 3 of whom were under 30. 14 of these 19 cases were of CVST with thrombocytopenia and 5 were of thrombosis with thrombocytopenia.
All 79 cases occurred after a first dose of the vaccine.

The majority of the events occurred within the first 14 days following vaccination but have also been reported after this period.

PS....

Up to and including 31 March we have received 2 reports of blood clots (thromboembolism) reported with thrombocytopenia for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine. By this date, approximately 11 million first doses and 3.5 million second doses had been given.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/regulatory-approval-of-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/976815/Information_for_Healthcare_Professionals_on_COVID-19_Vaccine_AstraZeneca.pdf

3 minutes ago, tokyojoe said:

I had a DVT about 20 years back so quite pleased I never had the AZ jab.

I had the Pfizer one as well. Its taken me nearly a year to get rid of 'clot anxiety'. Can't escape the shit lately, before last year clots didn't enter my thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Elite said:

I had the Pfizer one as well. Its taken me nearly a year to get rid of 'clot anxiety'. Can't escape the shit lately, before last year clots didn't enter my thoughts. 

Mate I wouldn't beat yourself up, sounds 100% normal that. When things settle down thogh I'd look at getting some talk therapy to nip it in the bud.

• Upvote 1