You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

This is who we’re dealing with...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britannia_Unchained

Scum calling ‘us’ scum, beggars belief.

They just want people to exploit so they can live the high life, theyre cunts, they've an ideology of cunts and absolute proof there's no such thing as karma in this life because if there was they would be be scrimping at the bottom with no safety net, no hope having to listen to people of privilege telling them its because they're idle.

Any working class person or person from a working class background that votes for fuckers like those five should be ashamed. They aim to exploit not elevate its astounding they get away with saying its anything else. The same pricks used the mantra "make work pay" but not by making working pay but by making not working for exploitative wages with less rights the only option between that and homelessness or starvation. Their vision is a dickensian nightmare. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

That's all perfectly reasonable, but why send schools back before getting business back up and running if it's so important? 

That's not a question for you BTW, it's a question for the chase the bright light like a pussy cat policy makers. 

Personally I think the kids going back to school was more important than the return to work. Aside from the educational aspect, my kids were becoming shadows of their former selves. It's been great to see them come back over the last few weeks. 

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

Not disagreeing with anything you’ve said but Johnson is clearly referring to people wfh as having days off imo and not people on furlough or he wouldn’t have said get back to the office as most furloughed people can’t return to work yet. 

I’d be surprised if even 10% of people on furlough work in offices as they are allowed to stay open (as long as they are Covid safe) and lots of office based jobs are being done at home. 

The vast majority of people on furlough will be people who work in the sectors forced to shut like non essential retail, hospitality and hairdressers/beauty salons and the like. 

You don’t have to be a genius to work out he’s implying people working from home have been skiving and having ‘days off’, especially in conjunction with Sunak saying the other day that employees might quit their jobs if they have to work from home and not in the office. It’s just what they did all last summer starting again. 

I'm just going off the quotes I saw on here - which to me isn't clear if it is WFH or furlough. 

I agree most office jobs have been unaffected. But I know plenty of businesses with office based jobs that have been affected to. For instance the company I was talking about in my previous post is a media agency - people aren't advertising like they were, so revenues are down, well they are with certain customers. They've lost 2 big clients who've gone bust during the pandemic. I also know of an IT Systems integrator who furloughed loads of people and has ended up using it as a "do we really need them exercise". He's told most of them if they find other jobs to take them as they're unlikely to have a job once furlough is over. I would imagine there must be people working in the travel industry in the furlough boat. And all kinds of things that isn't crossing my mind. 

Yeah, I saw that Sunak thing, utter nonsense. There might be plenty of people who want to go back (in fact I know of loads) and they might go and find other jobs as a result. But equally there'll be loads of people looking for more home based jobs when people start to return to the office and don't like it. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Rico1304 said:

"Practically we need the UK government to support the temporary waiver on patents which is on the table at the WTO, initiated by South Africa and India and now co-sponsored by 57 countries. It should back the WHO’s efforts to strengthen local and regional manufacturing of the vaccine.  It should put pressure on industry to share their Intellectual Property and know-how with the Covid-19 Technology Access Pool so we can scale up production, reach global immunity and end this pandemic."

I genuinely don't understand why you think this is a bad idea - what am I missing?

Just managed to book vaccines for me and her. She takes her nan shopping etc and I've been helping my dad out, both on the vulnerable list. If anyone is also helping relatives out then you can book, really easy on the government site. Got my first one in Aintree on Wednesday evening, 2nd in June. 

The worst thing about this pandemic will prove to be the rise of the celebrity doctor.

"Let's go to Dr Poohbah for his top 10 incontinence pads" cue picture of bloke in five grand suit and pink dickie bow having hippocratic bantz with Lorraine.

• Upvote 1

I understand people being completely done with lockdown. It's infuriating, depressing, stressful and horrible at times.

Kicking off about wearing a mask for 10 minutes doing shopping though? I honestly think people whining about this are redirecting anger from lockdowns because how the fuck can wearing a tiny mask for a few minutes upset an adult human?

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

I understand people being completely done with lockdown. It's infuriating, depressing, stressful and horrible at times.

Kicking off about wearing a mask for 10 minutes doing shopping though? I honestly think people whining about this are redirecting anger from lockdowns because how the fuck can wearing a tiny mask for a few minutes upset an adult human?

Genuine sub-human arrogant scum. "sheeple" and all that bollocks, just put a mask on and stop being a crying fart. "I struggle to breath" no you don't you're just being a tit. People on life support machines are struggling to breath. 

What are the latest stats around masks? Surely they can't be that great given the scale of the subsequent waves. Also, I think they provide a false sense of security, shops have stopped people queueing and have carte blanche to pack out their stores because everyone is masked up.

21 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What are the latest stats around masks? Surely they can't be that great given the scale of the subsequent waves. Also, I think they provide a false sense of security, shops have stopped people queueing and have carte blanche to pack out their stores because everyone is masked up.

Would be really hard to gather stats I think, given the state of the mask market. Plenty of people cashing in selling 1-ply tissue with strings attached.

21 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I noticed in the Asda at the weekend, everyone is still wearing them. In fact my Asda has someone on the door handing out disposable ones and has since the new year wave. On mother's Day weekend ( and it was fucking mental) they reintroduced queueing too, both at Asda and Tesco. 

• Upvote 1

I really think of all the mistakes they have made throughout this shocking mismanagement the most egregious, and hopefully not most lethal, has been foisted upon an unsuspecting public today...

maxresdefault.jpg

A four point slogan!

Are the Great British public really capable of understanding such things, can they manage more than three?

I sense trouble.

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I really think of all the mistakes they have made throughout this shocking mismanagement the most egregious, and hopefully not most lethal, has been foisted upon an unsuspecting public today...

maxresdefault.jpg

A four point slogan!

Are the Great British public really capable of understanding such things, can they manage more than three?

I sense trouble.

OPPRESSIVE! MY FREEDOM! I"M INCONVENIENCED! FUCK ANYONE BUT ME! I LET LAWRENCE FOX SHAG MY ARSE! 

42 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I noticed in the Asda at the weekend, everyone is still wearing them. In fact my Asda has someone on the door handing out disposable ones and has since the new year wave. On mother's Day weekend ( and it was fucking mental) they reintroduced queueing too, both at Asda and Tesco. 

I do genuinely suspect the mask thing had been used to just cram people into shops.

When this all kicked off you'd have to queue for about 20 minutes to get into morrissons but once you were in it was bliss, like supermarket sweep with about 10 people in there.

When makes became a thing they just let everyone in, which given that I suspect masks aren't that protective was probably daft, but of course increases the shop's coffers.

I think masks also changed behaviour too. Before, people used to give each other a wide berth, even cross the street to avoid you, now when they've got masks on they don't, like they think they're wearing a space suit.. 

I really do strongly suspect they're just a psychological crutch. The idea of having to wear a mask in a coffee shop or pub between the door and your table, then again  between your table and the bog or bar, seems almost comically stupid and pointless. 

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

My unscientific evidence would be the complete opposite. In Spain the schools didn't close, or not for any prolonged period of time anyway. The bars are open, inside and outside. People are meeting each other. I'd argue that some (most) of this hasn't been a great idea, but that's how it is. Post last May (up until which point most countries had a strict lockdown) the UK seems to have had much stricter lockdown rules. Yet they've had 50,000 more deaths.

Masks must be playing a pretty big role. Isn't the age with which you have to wear one 11 in the UK? Pretty sure it's six here. 

Obviously the government in the UK has been spectacularly fucking shit throughout most of the handling of the pandemic, but it has been in many other countries. Here there has been a passing of the buck between state and regional governments for about six months leading to complete stalemate. Germans are flying to Malaga whilst people from Cordoba aren't actually allowed to go there. It's all a fucking mess, and here without the light at the end of the tunnel of the vaccine. I would be surprised if I got the vaccine this year, for example. But it seems France has been similarly shite. But they've had 30k fewer deaths than the UK as well. How the fuck are the numbers so bad for the UK?

I still don't think masks protect you too much, but I have grown to like wearing them, they keep you warm in winter and I appreciate the sense of semi-anonymity when you go shopping. I think I would be ready to embrace full length man burka now, given the chance.  

• Upvote 1

Mexico has published revised figures indicating that the number of deaths caused by coronavirus is 60% higher than previously reported.

More than 321,000 people are now believed to have died from Covid-19 in the country.

The revised toll places Mexico with the second highest number of Covid-related deaths in the world, after the US.

President Andrés Manuel López Obrador has faced widespread criticism over his handling of the crisis.

The opposition has accused him of downplaying the severity of the pandemic and blamed him for delays in the vaccination programme.

8 minutes ago, SasaS said:

I still don't think masks protect you too much, but I have grown to like wearing them, they keep you warm in winter and I appreciate the sense of semi-anonymity when you go shopping. I think I would be ready to embrace full length man burka now, given the chance.  

The use of masks in a non clinical setting are for the protection of others,  not yourself. That is unless you're wearing a fit tested FFP2/3 mask or respirator. 

13 minutes ago, SasaS said:

It's never been a claim that masks protect the wearer. Face shields are more effective as a self protector. Masks are more for protecting others. I'm pretty confident they reduce transmission, even if they don't completely stop it. 

7 minutes ago, Stouffer said:

The use of masks in a non clinical setting are for the protection of others,  not yourself. That is unless you're wearing a fit tested FFP2/3 mask or respirator. 

I was training a neuroscienist a few months ago and she was wearing a respiratory that had been scientifically tested to prevent allowing particles to pass through the vents. Only oxygen and carbon dioxide sized particles could pass. 

I was mildly impressed. 

6 minutes ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

It's never been a claim that masks protect the wearer. Face shields are more effective as a self protector. Masks are more for protecting others. I'm pretty confident they reduce transmission, even if they don't completely stop it. 

And I never said they protect the wearer. I agree they probably reduce trasmission somewhat, but since most people dont wear masks with proper filters, intuitively I still think it is not a particularly significant reduction. Distancing is probably much better protection.