You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Former Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert REdfield told CNN in an interview that aired Friday he thinks coronavirus originated in a lab in China.

"It's not unusual for respiratory pathogens that are being worked on in a laboratory to infect a laboratory worker," Redfield said.

There is no hard evidence that the virus escaped from a lab, and Redfield noted that his comments are "my opinion."

A World Health Organization (WHO) team has called the theory that the virus escaped from a lab "extremely unlikely." 

“The findings suggest that the laboratory incidents hypothesis is extremely unlikely to explain the introduction of the virus to the human population," Peter Ben Embarek, a WHO expert, said in February.

The WHO team has suggested that the virus passing from a bat through an intermediary animal to humans is the most likely origin, AP reported.

Redfield said he did not think it makes "biological sense" that the virus would be able to spread so well between humans if it had just made the jump from animals to humans. The Wuhan Institute of Virology has been a focus of the theory that the virus escaped from a lab.

"I do not believe this somehow came from a bat to a human," Redfield said. 

Still, he noted continued uncertainty. "Science will eventually figure it out," he said.

15 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

The AstraZeneca vaccine is sourced from two UK sites, in Oxford and Keele Science Park, Staffordshire, along with the Serum Institute of India and the Halix plant in the Dutch city of Leiden.

The UK sites have, however, suffered yield problems, leaving the UK with only 30% of expected deliveries in this first quarter.

There have also been delays to expected deliveries from India and on Thursday the Indian government ordered the Serum Institute to halt exports until local needs were met.

So that is now the same "yield problem" AZ had in January with production in Belgium, for the EU market. They delivered only 30% in Q1 to the UK and EU are saying 25% to the EU, I don't get anymore where are the doses coming from. 

16 minutes ago, SasaS said:

So that is now the same "yield problem" AZ had in January with production in Belgium, for the EU market. They delivered only 30% in Q1 to the UK and EU are saying 25% to the EU, I don't get anymore where are the doses coming from. 

Yeah, something off about the whole thing.

The Keele site has, don't quote me on this, produced 6M doses and is the plant with the higher capacity of the two in the UK.

We are looking to have 100m doses produced in Blightly, or 90m plus the 10m from India, so the maths just doesn't add up.

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Yeah, something off about the whole thing.

The Keele site has, don't quote me on this, produced 6M doses and is the plant with the higher capacity of teh two in the UK.

We are looking to have 100m doses produced in Blightly, or 90m plus the 10m from India, so the maths just doesn't add up.

Where are the US getting theirs? Perhaps their allocation is coming from the UK's allowance? It would explain the shortfall. 

1 minute ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Where are the US getting theirs? Perhaps their allocation is coming from the UK's allowance? It would explain the shortfall. 

They have 30m that are in storage and the option to buy 300m more if the trials are successful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/us/politics/coronavirus-astrazeneca-united-states.html

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

They have 30m that are in storage and the option to buy 300m more if the trials are successful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/11/us/politics/coronavirus-astrazeneca-united-states.html

Which they made in the US, at least. The more you read about it, the more you realize America is by far the biggest "villain" of vaccine nationalism and everybody for some reason constantly lets them off the hook.

20 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Which they made in the US, at least. The more you read about it, the more you realize America is by far the biggest "villain" of vaccine nationalism and everybody for some reason constantly lets them off the hook.

With Big Bad Trump gone, it's now a bit harder to point an accusing finger at a country that seems to be keeping very quiet since The Orange One was ousted. Does Biden even have a Twitter account? Or does he still 'use' the POTUS Twitter account?

18 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

The EU. 

I do not think many of the doses used here so far have come from the UK. 

The States do not use AZ.

e5af75d5bcbdd4cc2df517d88334914e

On Pfizer - A total of 34m doses of coronavirus vaccine have been exported from the EU despite shortages for people living in the bloc, including 9m sent to the UK and 1m to the US.

4 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

"Sputnik" terrifying to be honest. 

150 million peeps - 12 mil doses

Already, among the reputed "firsts" Russia is claiming: the first COVID vaccine in the world to be registered; the first vaccine anywhere to be announced as part of a national vaccination campaign; and trial results that rank it first in terms of effectiveness.

Not to be outdone, when Pfizer and BioNTech became the first Western vaccine maker to announce promising results, with 90 per cent efficacy, days later Sputnik V's makers said their vaccine was even better — by two percentage points.    

Some Western experts have felt the lack of transparency about the approval process, combined with a rush to get it registered even before trials started, damaged the vaccine's credibility from the outset.

50 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m supposed to get my second jab in May. Seems there’s a possibility I won’t get it now...

I'm 9 weeks post my first jab tomorrow. Happened to need a blood test at my GP surgery yesterday, so asked the receptionist while there if they have any idea when I'll be contacted. She didn't allay my minor concerns about it. Said they're now very unsure about supplies and dates for new deliveries of them, and to phone back if I haven't heard by Wednesday in case they know more by then.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’m supposed to get my second jab in May. Seems there’s a possibility I won’t get it now...

I'm not 100% sure but apparently they will be ensuring anyone who has had the 1st will get the 2nd,

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I was supposed to be getting mine in May, but had it today. I just got a phone call from the Dr's yesterday completely out of the blue.

Fingers crossed mate.

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

150 million peeps - 12 mil doses

Already, among the reputed "firsts" Russia is claiming: the first COVID vaccine in the world to be registered; the first vaccine anywhere to be announced as part of a national vaccination campaign; and trial results that rank it first in terms of effectiveness.

Not to be outdone, when Pfizer and BioNTech became the first Western vaccine maker to announce promising results, with 90 per cent efficacy, days later Sputnik V's makers said their vaccine was even better — by two percentage points.    

Some Western experts have felt the lack of transparency about the approval process, combined with a rush to get it registered even before trials started, damaged the vaccine's credibility from the outset.

ktYhgUT.gif

The only sterile place manufacturing the vaccine in the UK is on my doorstep , Wockhardt UK is in Wrexham I thought there would be more places getting this vaccine out to the public. 

To be fair they are a great company my lads Mum worked there for 25 years when  she was diagnosed with Cancer they kept her on full pay till the day she died and  kept her on the books so they could pay her death in service benefit .

Contrast that with the shite company I work for who cut a lads sick pay when he was terminally ill with the same disease . It was on BBC breakfast this morning 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

I'd tell them to fuck off.

24 minutes ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

It's getting to the stage where I'm going to have to rob a bank  or die trying, this modern world really isn't for me.

• Upvote 1