You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

Most predictable neg in history.

This is basically just butt-hurt because I didn't get covid and you did, despite your magic cloth.

Grow up and enjoy your life you divvy. You only get one.

I'm only negging you to piss you off for being a liar and using blue shite phrases. But, people of that ilk will stoop to those depths I guess. A genuine stain on humanity. 

Most people are trying to enjoy life while arrogant idiots like you spout lies and put peoples lives at risks. You are that much of a narcissist that you wouldn't even say on here if you did have covid. The irony of someone who tried to get another poster sacked over a neg telling someone else to grow up is spectacular. Genuinely amazing work. 

Aside from all this cunt-calling, can we assume from cases staying around the 4-5K a day mark for the last week or so (from well over a million tests), while hospitalisations and deaths continue to drop by about 1/3rd each week, that the vaccine really is breaking the chains of transmission and serious illness?

Cases are being kept in check by lockdowns and will probably go through the roof when everything opens, but there won't be the same uptick in hospitalisations and deaths?

This is how I feel about it. Judging by the tone on this thread, that might seem a bit optimistic. 

6 minutes ago, Chris said:

Aside from all this cunt-calling, can we assume from cases staying around the 4-5K a day mark for the last week or so (from well over a million tests), while hospitalisations and deaths continue to drop by about 1/3rd each week, that the vaccine really is breaking the chains of transmission and serious illness?

Cases are being kept in check by lockdowns and will probably go through the roof when everything opens, but there won't be the same uptick in hospitalisations and deaths?

This is how I feel about it. Judging by the tone on this thread, that might seem a bit optimistic. 

Keep an eye at what happens in Israel over the next couple of weeks.

Just now, Chris said:

Have they just opened everything up after vaccinating pretty much everyone?

They have started allowing concerts a week or so ago for the vaccinated people and from what I have seen, yes. They still have to jab half the population for the second time though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

As someone who lives in the US, and is desperate to get home to see my ma ASAP, I really hope there isn't a blanket ban on travel. I'm fully prepared to abide by whatever rules are put in to place. Just don't cut me off from home completely. It's not all knobs going off on their Benidorm jollies, there are people missing precious time with families and loved ones too. Feels a shame to punish people who follow whatever guidance they're given because of those dickheads. 

Yes, I haven't seen my family in the UK for over a year. I have flights for late May but if they're cancelled it wouldn't be surprising, they've already been cancelled three times - last summer, last October, and last Christmas. 

I would basically be staying at my parents house, both of whom will have had both doses of the vaccine by then (they've had the first already), and working from there for a couple of weeks.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, I haven't seen my family in the UK for over a year. I have flights for late May but if they're cancelled it wouldn't be surprising, they've already been cancelled three times - last summer, last October, and last Christmas. 

I would basically be staying at my parents house, both of whom will have had both doses of the vaccine by then (they've had the first already), and working from there for a couple of weeks.

This is why it does my head in when people moan about people being pissed off, families torn apart. My Mrs was in tears the other day because her mum was sick (nothing serious thankfully) but it just hit her that she hasn't seen her for over a year.

Yes, it's necessary and all that, but to try and make out that people are just being selfish by wanting to get back to some semblance of an existence is crazy. Owen Jones and the likes were doing it loads in the early days 'ooh how hard is it to stay home and watch Netflix!?'. Cunt. Yeah how hard is it for an 18-year-old living in a strange city for the first time in their lives to be told to stay in a room smaller than a prison cell, that they've been charged nine grand a year for, and told not to come out. Selfish twats. 

People have lived in the British Isles for thousands of years, and this is the first generation ever - ever - who've ever been told they can't go and look at the sea. Whatever way anyone paints it, the situation is utterly fucked up, and people are more than entitled to get pissed off.

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Same here. Hope you can make it back mate. This time is incredibly hard on people separated. There's a different level of anxiety. I was homesick even when I knew I could jump on a plane and by in my ma's house by teatime the following day. Now it's just compounded. 

I flew in to be there for a surgery she was having last September and, honestly, flying is pretty much the safest part of the experience. Getting through the London Underground to Euston was the part that made me feel unsafe/like I was putting others at risk. 

Naturally that's changed now with the threat of the variants potentially, at some point, emerging that are significantly resistant (not just reduced efficacy) to the vaccine.

Just now, Section_31 said:

This is why it does my head in when people moan about people being pissed off, families torn apart. My Mrs was in tears the other day because her mum was sick (nothing serious thankfully) but it just hit her that she hasn't seen her for over a year.

Yes, it's necessary and all that, but to try and make out that people are just being selfish by wanting to get back to some semblance of an existence is crazy. Owen Jones and the likes were doing it loads in the early days 'ooh how hard is it to stay home and watch Netflix!?'. Cunt. Yeah how hard is it for an 18-year-old living in a strange city for the first time in their lives to be told to stay in a room smaller than a prison cell, that they've been charged nine grand a year for, and told not to come out. Selfish twats. 

People have lived in the British Isles for thousands of years, and this is the first generation ever - ever - who've ever been told they can't go and look at the sea. Whatever way anyone paints it, the situation is utterly fucked up, and people are more than entitled to get pissed off.

I think we should all be able to agree that Owen Jones is a cunt. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

Everybody wants to get back to normality. People don't moan about people wanting that, people moan at people chatting absolute shite and only considering themselves when others are making the right sacrifices for the greater good. Eg; Moaning/lying that they can't breath with a mask on while thousand are hooked up to ventilators. I couldn't hug my mum after she got told she had months to live until she was on her death bed. I've got every right to call selfish cunts out. By that respect, people have got their own right to call me out for being pissed off. It's a basic human right to have an opinion. 

1 minute ago, Chris said:

Same here. Hope you can make it back mate. This time is incredibly hard on people separated. There's a different level of anxiety. I was homesick even when I knew I could jump on a plane and by in my ma's house by teatime the following day. Now it's just compounded. 

I flew in to be there for a surgery she was having last September and, honestly, flying is pretty much the safest part of the experience. Getting through the London Underground to Euston was the part that made me feel unsafe/like I was putting others at risk. 

Naturally that's changed now with the threat of the variants potentially, at some point, emerging that are significantly resistant (not just reduced efficacy) to the vaccine.

Cheers, mate. You too.

And exactly that, I was used to going back every two or three months if even just for a long weekend. 

I'm lucky re the travel part as my missus would just drop me off at Sevilla or Malaga airport and my old man can pick me up at the other side. And each time I was going to go last year I self-isolated for a fortnight prior to going. You can imagine the feeling when they were cancelled each time.

I think one of the biggest issues has been the half arsed lockdowns. In an attempt to balance economy and lives they've (various governments) often managed to save neither. Useless track and trace systems, useless quarantining measures, etc, etc. Australia shut everything completely and I obviously accept they're an island miles away etc etc, but they're now in a position where they can have 50k supporters at a cricket/rugby match.

In Madrid people are nipping over from France for a piss up every weekend. In the UK the track and trace system is a joke. In the US PCRs are "advised" for state to state flying. And Europe's handling of the vaccine...fucking hell.

What an appalling time to have callous and incompetent governments.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Cheers, mate. You too.

And exactly that, I was used to going back every two or three months if even just for a long weekend. 

I'm lucky re the travel part as my missus would just drop me off at Sevilla or Malaga airport and my old man can pick me up at the other side. And each time I was going to go last year I self-isolated for a fortnight prior to going. You can imagine the feeling when they were cancelled each time.

I think one of the biggest issues has been the half arsed lockdowns. In an attempt to balance economy and lives they've (various governments) often managed to save neither. Useless track and trace systems, useless quarantining measures, etc, etc. Australia shut everything completely and I obviously accept they're an island miles away etc etc, but they're now in a position where they can have 50k supporters at a cricket/rugby match.

In Madrid people are nipping over from France for a piss up every weekend. In the UK the track and trace system is a joke. In the US PCRs are "advised" for state to state flying. And Europe's handling of the vaccine...fucking hell.

What an appalling time to have callous and incompetent governments.

Could you ferry from Bilbao, worst case scenario, if you needed to get home? 

18 minutes ago, Chris said:

Could you ferry from Bilbao, worst case scenario, if you needed to get home? 

No, that would be far more difficult. The regions are shut from each other and I'd have to travel through about seven to get there. Plus the ferry is ridiculously expensive. We've looked into it because we want to travel in August with the dogs.

58 minutes ago, Chris said:

I don't know if you can be sure it is breaking the chains of transmission. I think certainly there are less symptomatic people going to be tested. And a large number of our tests are LF which are not very sensitive, so may not be picking up virus in people who have been infected but as a result of the vaccine they're neither getting sick or having enough viral load to be detected by LFTs. But if the virus is in circulation and not killing and hospitalising people, that's great now, but the more it circulates, the more chance it has to mutate, the more chance there is to end up with a vaccine beating strain. The bottom line is right now we just don't know anything for sure and the more controlled and stable we keep our environment, the easier it is to understand this data. So today things look positive, but we have surely learnt going at a slow and controlled pace, to the point if possible of almost eradicating the virus like in other countries has to be the safest way to go, especially while much of the world the virus is running wild. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

No, that would be far more difficult. The regions are shut from each other and I'd have to travel through about seven to get there. Plus the ferry is ridiculously expensive. We've looked into it because we want to travel in August with the dogs.

Yikes, feel for you dude. 

2 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

People like me, who have never caught covid and therefore never spread it to anyone?

Only last time I checked, it was you who actually caught covid, not me.

You need to stop treating people who exercise their freedoms as scum. We are not caged birds. This is my planet. I will go wherever I am permitted, whenever I feel like it.

How do you know for a fact that you have not been asymptomatic?

Isn't it more accurate to say that this is our planet? And in exercising our freedoms, do we not have to consider the impact on others?

It seems to me that you are happy to bet that a more deadly variant won't appear and be brought back to this country. Given how hopeless our government's response has been to date, nhs vaccine rollout out notwithstanding, and how useless our test and trace has been, I am not willing to take that bet. If I'm wrong, people will have missed out on a foreign holiday (spending a holiday in the UK will give the economy a boost) whereas if you're wrong, lots of people could die.

I'm sure foreign holidays could be possible if the government were more competent and people (not referring to anyone on this forum) were more willing to follow the safeguards; sadly neither of those is the case. 

• Upvote 5

Great stuff here - Stronts trotting out the "You're not the boss of me" entree with a fantastic trio of side dishes -indignation, haughty superiority and that faint whiff of persecution he brings to all his offerings.

Throw in the buttery cream of revisionism that holds the whole meal together and it is tough to beat. 

• Upvote 3