You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

They have suspended the AZ jab in several countries now due to the risk of blood clots. 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40244180.html

30,000 people will not receive their first Covid-19 vaccine this week

A cluster of people who suffered clots in Norway after being vaccinated has led to a temporary halt on the drug’s use in Ireland.

SUN, 14 MAR, 2021 - 17:51
ELAINE LOUGHLIN DEPUTY POLITICAL EDITOR

A total of 30,000 people will now not receive their first Covid-19 vaccine this week, after the rollout of AstraZeneca was paused over clot fears.

Around 20,000 people in at-risk groups and a further 10,000 frontline healthcare workers had been due to be vaccinated in the coming days, however, this will now not happen.

A cluster of people who suffered clots in Norway after being vaccinated has led to a temporary halt on the drug’s use in Ireland.

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has initiated an urgent review of all clotting events occurring with the vaccine to determine if there is a possible safety risk.

Health Minister Stephen Donnelly said he understood those who were due to be vaccinated will be extremely disappointed.

"Obviously nobody would want to see this kind of thing happening, however, what I am very comforted by as Minister for Health is that our senior clinicians leading the vaccination programme moved very quickly and they are erring on the side of caution.

"That's something I want to see and I think that's something the Irish people want to see."

He added: "We will see what the EMA says the coming days, but what we hope is that this is nothing more and a very short deferral."

Mr Donnelly said some people may view the stalling of vaccinations as an over-reaction, however, he said he would prefer that caution and safety are prioritised.

He said he hopes that the EMA will come back with positive news when it reviews the evidence later this week and it will simply mean a rescheduling for people who were due to get the dose.

"If they have to be rescheduled for a week or two because of this of course they will be disappointed by that."

While the cases in Norway are concerning, the minister said there have been just 30 notifications of clots in those who have received the AstraZeneca vaccine across the EU.

15 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Don't like the sound of what's happening in Brazil, seems their new P1 variant is a complete cunt. 

Not a lot being made of it at the moment, but watch this space. 

Generally though, looking good on ZOE

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1371053674508730370?s=19

I have been surprised how little has been made of the Brazilian variant and the anecdotal stuff that has been on some news reports that people who had the original variant appear to be getting struck down again with this one. 

As for Zoe, they made an alteration to how they're reporting their stats this week. As many of us discussed on here previously, the figures always seem to appear quite unreliable when they were low. So to address this, Zoe is now reporting a rolling average figure of the last 14 days, at least while figures remain low as the smallest changes in cases looks much bigger as they obviously multiply this up depending on the number of respondents they have in any given day. It's a shame in some ways, as through the autumn and winter waves we've seen indicators come from Zoe maybe a week earlier than government reporting. I guess we lose that with this change. 

48 minutes ago, DJLJ said:

They have suspended the AZ jab in several countries now due to the risk of blood clots. 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40244180.html

SUN, 14 MAR, 2021 - 17:51
ELAINE LOUGHLIN DEPUTY POLITICAL EDITOR

A total of 30,000 people will now not receive their first Covid-19 vaccine this week, after the rollout of AstraZeneca was paused over clot fears.

Around 20,000 people in at-risk groups and a further 10,000 frontline healthcare workers had been due to be vaccinated in the coming days, however, this will now not happen.

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has initiated an urgent review of all clotting events occurring with the vaccine to determine if there is a possible safety risk.

Health Minister Stephen Donnelly said he understood those who were due to be vaccinated will be extremely disappointed.

"Obviously nobody would want to see this kind of thing happening, however, what I am very comforted by as Minister for Health is that our senior clinicians leading the vaccination programme moved very quickly and they are erring on the side of caution.

"That's something I want to see and I think that's something the Irish people want to see."

He added: "We will see what the EMA says the coming days, but what we hope is that this is nothing more and a very short deferral."

Mr Donnelly said some people may view the stalling of vaccinations as an over-reaction, however, he said he would prefer that caution and safety are prioritised.

He said he hopes that the EMA will come back with positive news when it reviews the evidence later this week and it will simply mean a rescheduling for people who were due to get the dose.

"If they have to be rescheduled for a week or two because of this of course they will be disappointed by that."

While the cases in Norway are concerning, the minister said there have been just 30 notifications of clots in those who have received the AstraZeneca vaccine across the EU.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/content/astraz/media-centre/press-releases/2021/update-on-the-safety-of-covid-19-vaccine-astrazeneca.html

6 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

It's actually more prevalent in the Pfizer jab.  And so far no causation found for either jab. 

Yeah, I read that. I had the Pfizer jab and I'm not worried. I just am about my Mum and Mrs even though I know the chances of something untoward happening because of the jab are very remote.

It's a 'me' thing.

• Upvote 1

Looks like Ireland are temporarily pausing the Astra Zenica jab. 

Edit: just over 110,000 AJ vaccines have been administered so far, you'd imagine they would have seen at least one case if there were a genuine link. 

Saw my old man today (child care bubble) and this vaccine has given him the lift I mentioned the other day.  He’s had a really tough year but is now taking daily walks, his mood is completely different and he’s talking about what we are all going to do when the restrictions are over. He’s timing his walks, getting quicker and is a completely different bloke. He even mentioned it’s their 50th wedding anniversary in November and what will we do. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 14

49 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

The UK has given over 10 million doses of both the Oxford and Pfizer vaccine. Number of blood clot related events: Oxford = 13 Pfizer = 15 These numbers are no higher than what is seen in the general population (no increased risk).

I'd definitely stop vaccinating for a few weeks because one in a million people has a blood clot that may or may not have something to do with the vaccine. Doubt thousands of extra people would die because the vaccinations would have stopped.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I'd definitely stop vaccinating for a few weeks because one in a million people has a blood clot that may or may not have something to do with the vaccine. Doubt thousands of extra people would die because the vaccinations would have stopped.

The problem seems to be that the public health agency in Norway has said that there are very unusual clotting incidences, with characteristics you rarely see, not that there has been a high number. That's why people are worried. And the AZ statement does not answer that question.

Either way the AZ vaccine seems to be constantly criticized and for a multitude of reported reasons.

5 hours ago, Mudface said:

Just look away- I barely felt it, and it's into a muscle not a vein so it's very easy.

I didn't feel it and was still waiting for it when the nurse told me it was done.

Have a very slight sore arm but no other symptoms since I got it yesterday, thank fuck.

7 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The problem seems to be that the public health agency in Norway has said that there are very unusual clotting incidences, with characteristics you rarely see, not that there has been a high number.

Either way the AZ vaccine seems to be constantly criticized and for a multitude of reported reasons.

Switzerland never approved it. It's all a bit bizzare.